Considering Aquablation procedure

wanaberetiree

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just want to get some feedback on other people's experiences with this type of surgery.

Interested in recovery times, pain involved, and any problems incurred. I know there are several similar procedures to help with BPH, this was recommended to me.

64 yo, mentally and emotionally retired (according to Bob Brinker) :)

FWIW, I had the traditional TURP about four years ago. It was scary to contemplate beforehand, but turned out great. Recovery was easy and completely done in 2-3 weeks. No complications.

There is a recent thread.
When doing my research I had narrowed it down to either aquablation or HoLEP.
After locating an expert surgeon at Mayo, I asked him whether or not I should consider aquablation. His response -
He ran a 5 year trial comparing the two, afterwards deciding to train more surgeons in the HoLEP procedure rather than invest in aquablation, saying “why do aquablation when I can offer HoLEP, it’s the gold standard for ‘one and done’ BPH treatment”
The caveat being the procedure has a steep leaning curve requiring an expert and is not as widely available as other treatments.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/aquablation-for-bph-115840.html

Last edited:
There is a recent thread.
When doing my research I had narrowed it down to either aquablation or HoLEP.
After locating an expert surgeon at Mayo, I asked him whether or not I should consider aquablation. His response -
He ran a 5 year trial comparing the two, afterwards deciding to train more surgeons in the HoLEP procedure rather than invest in aquablation, saying “why do aquablation when I can offer HoLEP, it’s the gold standard for ‘one and done’ BPH treatment”

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/aquablation-for-bph-115840.html

In my experience finding a surgeon for HoLEP is more difficult than for anything else.
I guess it's not true in all areas.

In my experience finding a surgeon for HoLEP is more difficult than for anything else.
I guess it's not true in all areas.

I solved the problem with medical tourism, Mayo and possibly Northwestern has this figured out. It's worth a call.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/facing-prostate-surgery-118264.html

I joined the HoLEP club Monday 6/19. 3 hours on the table, an hour in recovery with a catheter. Had a double valve catheter, a saline bag going in and a catch bag coming out.

24 hours observation with 3 good meals the spiced salmon was the best. Doc pulled the catheter, Ms G came to visit went for a walk, but didn't make it very far.

Lots of bladder scans to check my residual pee, as a condition of discharge.

Had my big boy pull ups for the ride home the next day.

My biopsy showed no cancer in the pulp sucked out. It is said that some small PC tumors are zapped in the laser procedure. I have had 2 and I have been on active surveillance for over 10 years

Pain none, no lifting, very light exercise etc. I get some blood and small clots during day activity, but pretty clear when sleeping. No leaks after 5 days when I cough. I have been doing kegels for years.

Walking to the road twice a day 1/16 mile each way. Drinking water until my eyes float, and been wearing a maxi pad just for grins.

Had a Western Diamondback on the west side this morning to relocate. First thing Ms G askes is "it wasn't over 10 lbs was it."

Doc had me stop my Tamsulosin and finasteride, so that is a good thing. PSA probably in 6 months.

My regular urologist and my surgeon are in the same medical group. If in Tucson I would highly recommend.

Grasshopper, 55 gm lighter.

Not even 2 weeks since my procedure, no bleeding, just a couple of drops of pee in my mini pad, walking 2 miles today. Drove 100 miles to see my GP a nothing burger, and GP was happy with the outcome.

See my surgeon in 2 weeks, ultrasound on my residual pee, everything is working as expected.

Good luck with your surgery.

Get cracking on your kegel exercises it really helps get your tone back.

Eight months later, and everything works like it is supposed to. OK maybe some ED but that was going on years before.

PM if you have questions. David

I had Aquablation a year ago. Look up my thread “Aquablation for BPH “.
I chose Aquablation because it was the only resective procedure I was aware of that had no permanent side effects. I’m very happy with the results.

My urologist was one of the first in my area to offer the Aquablation procedure. About that time (2 years ago) it looked like I may be faced with it (or something similar). He told me about it and it sure sounded like the best option then. I was going to be one of his first, or maybe even the very first to get the new treatment around here. I asked him if he was comfortable performing the procedure. Of course he said yes, and he had been trained/certified, plus he had an instruction manual if needed. (Yikes)

Anyway, I started using Flomax and am doing fine with that. If needed, I can double the dosage and hopefully avoid ever needing such an invasive treatment.

Last edited:
… If needed, I can double the dosage and hopefully avoid ever needing such an invasive treatment.

That’s a very important point to me.
I feel that the meds won’t cure it and sooner or later the surgical solution will be needed.

You feel obviously different.
What gives you such a confidence?

I waited to get any treatment longer than I should have. So I started with two pills a days. (Actually there was a disagreement between my doctors if I should take one or two pills and another just wanted to do the Aqublataion). Anyway, I started with two and had positive results in a few weeks. I stayed on two pills a day for almost a year and then dropped back to one and I'm doing fine. If needed I plan to bump it up to two again before reconsidering any sort of invasive procedure. Of course YMMV.

Good luck.

Last edited:
That’s a very important point to me.
I feel that the meds won’t cure it and sooner or later the surgical solution will be needed.

You feel obviously different.
What gives you such a confidence?

I have been on Tamsulosin (generic Flowmax) for 5 or 6 years, one pill per day (0.4 mg), and it has been working fine. I hope it continues....I am 80 years old and really don't want much more surgery than I have had already (joints).

I have been on Tamsulosin (generic Flowmax) for 5 or 6 years, one pill per day (0.4 mg), and it has been working fine. I hope it continues....I am 80 years old and really don't want much more surgery than I have had already (joints).

I've been on Tamsulosin for about 6 months and it works well for me too. I hardly ever have to get up during the night now. No reason to undergo surgery imo.

Back
Top Bottom