Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Consumer Reports: Arsenic in Apple Juice
Old 12-02-2011, 05:31 AM   #1
Administrator

Consumer Reports: Arsenic in Apple Juice

Consumer Reports Magazine has reported finding excessive levels of inorganic arsenic in apple juice, challenging the FDA to reassess its position that arsenic is not a problem and requesting the FDA to set a safety standard. From the report
Quote:
Roughly 10 percent of our juice samples, from five brands, had total arsenic levels that exceeded federal drinking-water standards. Most of that arsenic was inorganic arsenic, a known carcinogen.

One in four samples had lead levels higher than the FDA’s bottled-water limit of 5 ppb. As with arsenic, no federal limit exists for lead in juice.

Apple and grape juice constitute a significant source of dietary exposure to arsenic, according to our analysis of federal health data from 2003 through 2008.

Children drink a lot of juice. Thirty-five percent of children 5 and younger drink juice in quantities exceeding pediatricians’ recommendations, our poll of parents shows.

Mounting scientific evidence suggests that chronic exposure to arsenic and lead even at levels below water standards can result in serious health problems.

Inorganic arsenic has been detected at disturbing levels in other foods, too, which suggests that more must be done to reduce overall dietary exposure.
The Consumers Report is here Arsenic in Juice | Apple and Grape Juice Arsenic Levels - Consumer Reports

And a pdf of test results is here http://www.consumerreports.org/conte...ary%202012.pdf
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2011, 05:40 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I saw that on the new yesterday as they showed a clip of Dr. Oz talking on the subject. Seem like some manufactures aren't too impressed with him these days.

To be honest, it's gotten to the point that I don't pay attention as much as I used to. Once they said an egg a day isn't good for you, then they said it's actually healthy, same with wine, milk, etc.. Can they ever make up there mind.

Thanks for posting the article, interesting read.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
gone traveling

Dr Oz raised this concern some time ago, and was criticized by other practitioners, and now he seems vendicated.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Dr Oz raised this concern some time ago, and was criticized by other practitioners, and now he seems vendicated.
Not really, IMO. I saw him go on about this on TV (GMA?), and he went over the top with his charges based on the very little evidence that he had. He just happened to be right this time.

I do think we should have standards in line with drinking water though. And parents should realize that these 'natural' juices are not really much better soda pop. They contain the same amount of sugar in most cases, and it isn't that big a deal if the sugar is fructose, sucrose, glucose or whatever - it's sugar. And these kids are getting too much of it. Yes, you get a few trace minerals and some vitamins in the juice, but far too many calories with it, and no fiber.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

If the 10ppb is so dangerous, I wonder why the EPA level was allowed to continue at 50ppb for almost 4 years? Why did Dr Oz use the drinking water standard of 10ppb when the juice standard is 23ppb? Trace amounts of arsenic are undoubtedly in other food products as well given the sources. Our tax dollars at work...
Quote:
On January 22, 2001 EPA adopted a new standard for arsenic in drinking water at 10 parts per billion (ppb), replacing the old standard of 50 ppb. The rule became effective on February 22, 2002. The date by which systems must comply with the new 10 ppb standard is January 23, 2006.
Quote:
[The Dr Oz Show] found 10% of apple juice and grape juice samples had total arsenic levels above the drinking water standard of 10 parts per billion. The Dr. Oz Show has learned that the FDA is re-evaluating the level of concern for juice, currently at 23 parts per billion.
Quote:
Arsenic is a semi-metal element in the periodic table. It is odorless and tasteless. It enters drinking water supplies from natural deposits in the earth or from agricultural and industrial practices. Erosion of natural deposits; runoff from orchards, runoff from glass & electronic production wastes.
Arsenic in Drinking Water | Arsenic | US EPA

But this is the funny one from the Chicago Trib
Quote:
In the meantime, some consumer groups are advising parents to dilute their juice, vary the brands they serve and limit children's juice consumption.
Whatever health risk fruit juice, drinking water present, the risk is from chronic exposure, not acute. So the concentration (which is what this is all based on) isn't much of a factor at these levels, it's how much and how often you drink.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

But why is it there in the first place....that is what I don't understand!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
I read an article on the Web several years ago -- sorry I can't give a link -- that said that around 1900 apple trees were sprayed with an arsenic-based insecticide. This spray hasn't been used for years, but the arsenic still lingers in the ground.
Dudester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudester View Post
I read an article on the Web several years ago -- sorry I can't give a link -- that said that around 1900 apple trees were sprayed with an arsenic-based insecticide. This spray hasn't been used for years, but the arsenic still lingers in the ground.
It is also naturally occurring.

I found this interesting:

Arsenic trioxide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
In Austria there lived the so called "arsenic eaters of Styria", who ingested doses far beyond the lethal dose of arsenic trioxide without any apparent harm. Arsenic is thought to enable strenuous work at high altitudes, e.g. in the Alps.[16][17][18]
-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks!

DW just forced me to quit drinking Diet Pepsi, and drink Apple Juice or cider instead. I've been drinking about 6 glasses of cider a day for the last week. If I live long enough, I'm going to forward this to her
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Makes you wonder if she got an advanced peek at the findings...
Old 12-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Thanks!

DW just forced me to quit drinking Diet Pepsi, and drink Apple Juice or cider instead. I've been drinking about 6 glasses of cider a day for the last week. If I live long enough, I'm going to forward this to her
Wow, that's a lot of apple juice. My concerns would be the amount of sugar you're taking in - could be as much or more as you would get from a regular, non-diet soda.
Quote:
"It's like sugar water," said Judith Stern, a nutrition professor at the University of California, Davis, who has consulted for candy makers as well as for Weight Watchers. "I won't let my 3-year-old grandson drink apple juice."
Apple juice can pose a health risk -- from calories - Boston.com
Old 12-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Apple juice in medicinal form...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Martini_Recipes_Appletini.jpg (15.6 KB, 73 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Saw a news segment about this a couple days ago and the bigger concern expressed was the sugar consumption without the fiber, pectin, etc. that would be in the whole fruit.

I wonder if the amount of arsenic found in the apple juice would have been more, less, or about the same if testing was done 10 or 15 years ago.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

My DIL dilutes apple juice for the grandchildren. She was focusing on sugars but by happenstance also reduced arsenic.

What is the source of the arsenic? Anyone know?
Old 12-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmm....I was just hefting 2 big bottles of apple juice the other day.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

AFIK apple seeds contain arsenic. Guess this means they grind up the seeds as well when making juice. Think of it as roughage.

hmmm, maybe a little arsenic over time builds up tolerance? So when the beloved slips you a lot, will be immune.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
Wow, that's a lot of apple juice. My concerns would be the amount of sugar you're taking in - could be as much or more as you would get from a regular, non-diet soda.
You're right - 30 grams of sugar per serving. I better switch to water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
Makes you wonder if she got an advanced peek at the findings...
I know. I just went to look at the label to see sugar content and she tried to talk me into another glass.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
My DIL dilutes apple juice for the grandchildren. She was focusing on sugars but by happenstance also reduced arsenic.

What is the source of the arsenic? Anyone know?
I did some checking and determined that lead hydrogen arsenate was "widely used" as an insecticide mainly on apples in the US as well as other countries. It was banned for use in the US in 1988. See the Wikipedia entry

Lead hydrogen arsenate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

for more details. It looks like in addition to arsenic apple eaters may be getting lead as well.

I read a Seattle Times article many years ago that said attempts to build homes on former apple orchards next to Lake Chelan ran into a problem of heavy arsenic contamination of the soil. Thus, it seems probable to me that a major source of arsenic in apples is lead arsenate.
Dudester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine
It bugs me when news stories don't answer an obvious question. Didn't someone at NBC Nightly News say, "Shouldn't we mention to source of the arsenic?"
Old 12-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Not really, IMO. I saw him go on about this on TV (GMA?), and he went over the top with his charges based on the very little evidence that he had. He just happened to be right this time.

-ERD50
Seems Dr Besser went a bit over the top in criticizing Dr Oz, but just the other day admitted on TV that Dr Oz was right. This was the GMA piece you referenced, but I have not been able to find a link to Besser's TV appearance the other day admitting Oz was right.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2...owdown-on-gma/

But yes from my perspective, I would be more concerned about the sugars in these juices than the arsenic levels. Also, I'm not sure anyone should put too much faith in anything the FDA says either.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote