Join Early Retirement Today

COOLIEF for pain relief
Old 10-14-2019, 08:52 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

COOLIEF for pain relief

I've just had a TKR to fix a bad knee, so I don't need this treatment for that knee.

But, I must admit this treatment intrigues me if for no other reason than if it works it might delay a TKR until one is old enough that he/she won't need another TKR. However this product has been 'cleared' by the FDA, which is not the same as being approved by the FDA, so in my mind its effectivness is in question. Has anybody tried it?

https://www.mycoolief.com/

Quote:
A radiofrequency generator transmits a small current of RF energy through an insulated electrode, or probe, placed within tissue. Ionic heating, produced by the friction of charged molecules, thermally deactivates the nerves responsible for sending pain signals to the brain.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2019, 02:00 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have not tried it, only seen the ads for it on TV.
I doubt my insurance would cover it, probably would want me to try other things, like injections first, even if it did cover it.

Not sure I like the idea of grinding away further at my bad knees in blissful ignorance of the pain, making an eventual TKR perhaps more complicated and recovery more difficult.
Prefer all the weight loss and OTC approaches I am doing on my own, actually getting some relief from the collagen peptides, for example.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:48 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
A radiofrequency generator transmits a small current of RF energy through an insulated electrode, or probe, placed within tissue. Ionic heating, produced by the friction of charged molecules, thermally deactivates the nerves responsible for sending pain signals to the brain.
I admit it's been quite a few years since I've had organic chem or anatomy & physiology, but that sounds like some grade-A bullcrap to me. You do not go numb while you are in a sauna or while you use a heating pad, or even if you scald yourself, obviously. The only time I can think of when nerves are "deactivated" without an anesthetic is when nerve tissue is destroyed! Cold actually does a better job of numbing, as it reduces blood flow and general cellular activity, including numbing.

Plus, as mamadogmamacat said, a lack of pain can be dangerous, as you don't know what kind of damage you're doing. I would assume you'd probably put a lot more strain and wear on your knee joint if this actually worked, and eventually it would probably just give out or lock up on you due to the increased damage.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:05 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds similar to a nerve ablation. I've had this for my torn disc and facet pain in my lower back. The first one worked great for about a year, first time in years I had NO lower back pain! Second one a year ago only worked for a few months. Have another one scheduled for early next month, fingers crossed this one works better.
So they can be a blessing, if they work....but it does not solve or fix the underlying problem, only makes it more manageable.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:13 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadogmamacat View Post

Not sure I like the idea of grinding away further at my bad knees in blissful ignorance of the pain, making an eventual TKR perhaps more complicated and recovery more difficult.
I agree to a point. My 40 years of bone on bone knee joint caused some distortion in joint that the Dr. corrected during the surgery. (Thankfully I chose a very experienced surgeon who knew how to do these things correctly.) But, it has made my recovery a bit slower and more difficult compared to some.

But, in my case getting a TKR in my 40's or early 50's would mean that this current TKR was #2. And the second one is never as good as the first one which is never as good as a healthy normal knee. So, I think I made the right decision.

If a younger person (under 55 or so) can delay a TKR for 10 years with pain management, that may be a big plus later in life.

Tags
coolief