Covered California doesn't allow adult child on family policy if not a dependent

fh2000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I think one member already pointed that out to me, though I only confirmed with Covered California today.

Though the law permits child under 26 to be on family group insurance policy, Covered California says that child can not, and has to have their own policy, if the child files as independent.

After a lot of research on ACA, our choice to cover a 25 year old graduate student with very little income is to sign up with Cobra that cover all 3 of us.

Couldn't you just plan to claim the student as your dependent in 2019 and fill out the CoveredCA application accordingly? You won't make the actual decision about how to file your 2019 taxes until 2020, and lots of people will end up filing differently than what they thought they'd do in their initial plans.

Couldn't you just plan to claim the student as your dependent in 2019 and fill out the CoveredCA application accordingly? You won't make the actual decision about how to file your 2019 taxes until 2020, and lots of people will end up filing differently than what they thought they'd do in their initial plans.

Well, my child has to be a Qualifying Child to be added to my 2019 tax as dependent. Total 6 requirements have to be met. My child will be 25, and live close to school not with us, so not a Qualifying Child. :(

Doesn't the university have med plans for students?

No, unfortunately. Last we checked, they do have a very limited plan but it is not a true health insurance plan.

Or if getting a stipend, the graduate student may qualify for health insurance as an employee. That was the case (and a nice surprise) once our DD turned 27 and couldn’t be covered on our HI. Since her stipend required lab work, the university considered her an employee and she was able to get insurance for $75 per semester.

No one would expect issues with government sponsored anything, now would they?

We have this same situation with my daughter, who is finishing up her last year of college and is 24, so she can no longer be claimed as a dependent on our 2019 tax return. As a result, she can not be on our ACA policy, since they have to be able to claimed as a Tax dependent.

In our case, the best solution will be to get a separate policy for her, and we will pay her premiums. The combined premiums for the separate policies are still cheaper than other options. Because her anticipated income for 2019 is so low, the premium subsidies are very high and there is no deductible.

In our case, the best solution will be to get a separate policy for her, and we will pay her premiums. The combined premiums for the separate policies are still cheaper than other options. Because her anticipated income for 2019 is so low, the premium subsidies are very high and there is no deductible.

I considered that option, though that means our child will be on Medi-cal plan. So we will pay the full price for Cobra.

Well, my child has to be a Qualifying Child to be added to my 2019 tax as dependent. Total 6 requirements have to be met. My child will be 25, and live close to school not with us, so not a Qualifying Child. :(

Read up about a "Qualifying Relative" and "temporary absences". I think you could claim a dependent (assuming all other conditions are met) if your son intends to return to your home after the temporary education related absence and you maintain the home.

-gauss
IRS certified volunteer tax preparer

We have this same situation with my daughter, who is finishing up her last year of college and is 24, so she can no longer be claimed as a dependent on our 2019 tax return. As a result, she can not be on our ACA policy, since they have to be able to claimed as a Tax dependent.

Not necessarily true - see my about comment about "Qualifying Relative" -- no age restriction (assuming you meet all the other conditions).

-gauss

I considered that option, though that means our child will be on Medi-cal plan. So we will pay the full price for Cobra.

What's wrong with Medi-cal, just curious...

What's wrong with Medi-cal, just curious...
I was going to ask that as well. I don't know what the complaint is.

Is the daughter sickly and needs special doctors? She will probably never use it anyway.

^
Stigma? Confusion with old pre-ACA Medicaid perhaps?

If he makes that little money maybe you can claim him as a dependent.

I am not sure how California does it.

In the US Navy, if you provide more than 50% of the support for someone, then you may declare them to be your dependent. Once they are your dependent, then they are covered by all the benefits package [which includes healthcare].

I am not sure how California does it.

In the US Navy, if you provide more than 50% of the support for someone, then you may declare them to be your dependent. Once they are your dependent, then they are covered by all the benefits package [which includes healthcare].

He's not in the Navy from what I have read.:)

Had this issue with our son the last couple of years here in Illinois. He was a pt college student, made too much coin to be declared a dependent (he lives with us). Made to little to qualify for ACA plan. Basically only option was Medicaid (good news it was free of charge).

Back
Top Bottom