CoveredCA showing different plans and premium prices since enrolling

explanade

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I enrolled for 2015 a couple of weeks ago, choosing one of the cheapest Bronze plans I could find.

Didn't receive any mailing confirming this until yesterday. However I had called the carrier and was able to pay the premium over the phone.

Today I went back to CoveredCA to see if there were dental plans I could add. I seemed to remember those options showing up but perhaps it was at another site.

I entered the same info, even though I was logged in so you'd think they'd use my profile info. But re-entered age, zip code and income.

So now, the same plan I enrolled in two weeks ago is showing up with $20 less for the premiums. There also seem to be one or two more plans than there were before.

I tried the chat but they told me they don't have access to my info, though the chat window already prepopulated my name. So I'm going to have to call in and see.

Anyone else notice this? Maybe it's only for my particular zip code. I may not have entered the same income as before but I thought income was mainly for determining subsidy eligibility so that shouldn't effect the availability of plans or the prices.

This happened to me when I was starting the process out. After checking a second time, I noticed that the premium was about $30 less. I was getting excited, but then I figured out they were giving me an automatic income reduced premium for some reason. I clearly don't qualify so I actually redid process and put my income in it instead of skipping it and presto, the higher premium reappeared.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CoveredCA's online calculator gave us the wrong price for our PPO plan and the actual amount was about $20/month higher. Called back to verify the price change and the rep simply said the calculator was wrong.

I don't know how that could have passed testing. This was near the beginning of open enrollment in Nov.

2014, Covered CA, Premiums for 2 dependents, approx. $300.
For 2015, Premiums $500, no subsidy. (Family of four. Wife and I Medicare). So only insuring 2 dependents.

Went to Covered CA website. Said, We eligible for Covered CA, but no benefits. Preimums. Blue Shield of CA, $500.

Checked out Blue Shield, directly. Premium of $500. is the rate charged to everyone. (non ACA).

Went back to Covered CA website, 4 times now. Trying to "preview"
possible plans. Site locks up, frozen, can't get past 1st page. :mad:

Anyways, just paid, Jan 2015 premium. Covered CA is still messed up:mad:

With open enrollment so short. Just glad to have health insurance for
2 daughters.

For me, no benefit going thru Covered CA. Just more paperwork, if we
have any issues. :mad:

Well I called in and went over it with the phone rep. She was citing different numbers from what I see on my screens.

I went through Preview plans from one of the first pages, where it them prompts you for age, zip and income.

But the rep said I could go to the front page, choose Actions and there is an option to change plan. When I do that, I get a whole different set of numbers, higher premiums and one or two fewer choices.

I guess their web site just isn't consistent or maybe one of the parameters in my profile is different than when I enter Preview.

The difference is about $20 a month so if it's easy enough for them to change, I would pursue it but it doesn't seem like it would be, so I'll probably drop it.

My only concern is whether they base your current year's premiums for adding to next year's premiums or if the carriers are offering what they think would be competitive prices in the exchange.

So it's only $20 a month more this year but next year it would be even more.

2014, Covered CA, Premiums for 2 dependents, approx. $300.
For 2015, Premiums $500, no subsidy. (Family of four. Wife and I Medicare). So only insuring 2 dependents.

Went to Covered CA website. Said, We eligible for Covered CA, but no benefits. Preimums. Blue Shield of CA, $500.

Checked out Blue Shield, directly. Premium of $500. is the rate charged to everyone. (non ACA).

Went back to Covered CA website, 4 times now. Trying to "preview"
possible plans. Site locks up, frozen, can't get past 1st page. :mad:

Anyways, just paid, Jan 2015 premium. Covered CA is still messed up:mad:

With open enrollment so short. Just glad to have health insurance for
2 daughters.

For me, no benefit going thru Covered CA. Just more paperwork, if we
have any issues. :mad:

I met with a insurance broker. She told me for 2014 to apply directly with Blue Shield since I did not qualify for a subsidy. I got Blue Shield Bronze for $425 starting in September (I retired in August). It jumped up to $475 for 2015. I am 54 years old. The Broker told me only use Covered California if you qualify for a subsidy. Since you don't, don't waste your time with that web site.

For 2015 I receive a pension that is 38% of my previous pay. I qualify for a subsidy of approximately $100 per month. I went with Kaiser for 2015 and will be paying $255 per month. Quite a bit cheaper than Blue Shield. It took me weeks to get this coverage, had problems with web site. First it said I qualified for Medi-Cal, clearly an error. Got that fixed but all in all it took me six weeks from beginning to end to get insurance through Covered California.

If you don't qualify for a subsidy don't use Covered California! You will receive no benefit and get endless frustration. Either apply directly to your insurance company of choice or meet with a broker, they will do the work and not charge a fee.

Back
Top Bottom