Join Early Retirement Today

Covid Vaccine and Shingle Shot
Old 01-07-2021, 04:31 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Has anyone have any knowledge on having taking both the Shingle shot and having the Covid Vaccine shot in about the same time frame?

My wife is ready for her second Shingle shot in February and she is entitled to a Covid Vaccine shot because of her status affiliation with the local hospital. Just wondering if someone has had a similar situation. What did your Doctor or medical personal tell you about conjoining the two shots.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2021, 04:44 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Has anyone have any knowledge on having taking both the Shingle shot and having the Covid Vaccine shot in about the same time frame?

My wife is ready for her second Shingle shot in February and she is entitled to a Covid Vaccine shot because of her status affiliation with the local hospital. Just wondering if someone has had a similar situation. What did your Doctor or medical personal tell you about conjoining the two shots.
Per immunize.org - https://www.immunize.org/askexperts/experts_covid19.asp

Some patients develop flu-like symptoms or fever after vaccination with recombinant zoster vaccine (RZV, Shingrix; GSK). Should I defer Shingrix vaccination because such a reaction might be confused with COVID-19?

No. If you have an opportunity to vaccinate a patient age 50 years or older who is due for dose 1 or dose 2 of Shingrix, proceed with vaccination as usual. It is important to counsel the patient about the risk of self-limited side effects, including local reactions, such as redness, pain, or swelling at the injection site, and systemic reactions, which include fever, chills, headache, and body aches. If they occur, such side effects normally resolve within 72 hours after vaccination.

Because of concerns about COVID-19, if a vaccine recipient develops fever after vaccination, they should stay home until it resolves. Shingrix vaccination does not cause respiratory symptoms common in COVID-19, such as cough or shortness of breath. If the vaccine recipient develops new symptoms of cough or shortness of breath, or if fever does not resolve within 72 hours of vaccination, the recipient should contact their healthcare provider.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 05:27 PM   #3

Thanks, I had the same question, I'm about 3 weeks until my second Shingrix shot and wondered how long to wait for my Covid shot. I'm 65 but, it may be a while before I'm eligible anyway.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 05:34 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My wife could get her covid tomorrow if she wanted but is waiting to do her second shot in Feb. for shingles. She will find out from Doc but thought maybe someone here has already went knew the guide lines.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:51 PM   #5

If it were me, (and timing might work out where it is), I’d prioritize the Covid shots. The second shingles shot can be anywhere from 2-6 months following the first shot, IIRC. So, I’d just wait till later in the 6 month window to get my second shingles shot.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
If it were me, (and timing might work out where it is), I’d prioritize the Covid shots. The second shingles shot can be anywhere from 2-6 months following the first shot, IIRC. So, I’d just wait till later in the 6 month window to get my second shingles shot.
+1
Old 01-07-2021, 06:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
+1 Yeah, that 6 month window would argue for getting the covid shot now.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:15 PM   #8

Right after I posted, I found out my county is starting to Vaccinate 65 yr olds, that me. My 3 week time till net shot was the minimum time, so I have 4 more months.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:28 PM   #9

I just got my first Covid (Moderna) shot today. Before giving me an appointment, they asked if I'd had any vaccines in the past 14 days.

(I, too, need to get the 2 Shingrx shots, I'm so glad I didn't get one last week, as I was toying with the idea and it would have prevented me from getting the nearly unobtainable Covid shot today.)

I would prioritize the Covid shot.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:44 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Not sure what she will do but she did say, since she got the one shot already. She might just get that second one done then go get the covid and then there will be a second shot for that also. Kind of a messed up deal.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Not sure what she will do but she did say, since she got the one shot already. She might just get that second one done then go get the covid and then there will be a second shot for that also. Kind of a messed up deal.

With Shingrx you have a 2-6 month window for the 2nd shot.

With Covid, you have a 3-4 week window for the 2nd shot.

Most people have a tough time getting an appointment for the Covid shot, but this is not a concern for your wife.

Covid, to me, sounds like possibly a far worse disease to get....possibly death or long-term complications or being a "long hauler".

That's why I prioritized the Covid. Perhaps your wife sees things differently.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:15 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

^ I agree with you. With her affiliation with the health care system, she would be eligible when she is ready for the C 19 shot.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:05 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
If it were me, I'd do the Covid now and once it's done, get the 2nd shingle shot , which would be around March. Still very reasonable time frame.

My 2 Shingle shots were scheduled 3 months apart.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:41 AM   #14

Perhaps not relevant, but I got the 1st Shingrix shot and my flu shot at the same time in September (1 in each arm). No unusual issues.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:23 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I know that after 20+ years of getting various vaccines thanks to Uncle Sugar, it was wise to NEVER get different vaccines on the same day. There were a handful of folks I served with that had some pretty serious complications from getting a flu shot in conjunction with the anthrax shot. I think the COVID vaccines are new enough that we don't know exactly what could happen in the future if taken with other vaccinations. Just my uneducated thoughts.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:25 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I know that after 20+ years of getting various vaccines thanks to Uncle Sugar, it was wise to NEVER get different vaccines on the same day. There were a handful of folks I served with that had some pretty serious complications from getting a flu shot in conjunction with the anthrax shot. I think the COVID vaccines are new enough that we don't know exactly what could happen in the future if taken with other vaccinations. Just my uneducated thoughts.
Agreed. Why risk an adverse reaction when there is no need to do so.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:56 PM   #17

We routinely give multiple vaccines at the same time in infants and young children.At 2, 4, and 6 months, babies get vaccine for diptheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, HIB, Hep B, Prevnar (13 strains of pneumococcus) and rotavirus. They get these in 3 shots and an oral vaccine. So don't say never when it is routine.

But, Shingrix is a live virus vaccine. Live virus vaccines sometimes cause slight immune suppression, which could make a different vaccine given shortly after that less effective. COVID vaccine is a new technology. Get the COVID shot and Shingrix shot at the same time, or get the COVID shot before. Definitely not Shingrix first.

Also, even though there is an ideal time to get the second Shingrix shot, if you are outside that time window, it is extremely likely to be fully effective. These are just boosters to your immunity to the chicken pox/shingles virus. The vaccine was studied in a particular time frame, but it should be quite effective even outside that time frame a little bit.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:57 PM   #18

My wife was in the same situation posed in the original post, so she asked the hospital pharmacist during the 15 minute wait period after receiving the prime dose of the Pfizer vaccine.
His response - there is no conflict, Shingrix is an inactive or dead virus vaccine, you can get them on the same day.
Out of an abundance of caution, she decided to delay the second Shingrix shot as the window is pretty wide.

From the CDC and Mayo -

Quote:
Q: Can I give Shingrix with other adult vaccines? A: Yes, Shingrix is an inactive vaccine so you can administer it with other inactive or live vaccines. If you administer Shingrix and another vaccine to someone on the same day, give them at different anatomical sites (e.g., different arms). For more information see the Best Practices of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP).
Quote:
A new shingles vaccine (Shingrix) was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in 2017. The new vaccine is inactivated, meaning it uses a dead version of the virus, eliminating the risk of transmission.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:13 AM   #19

Thanks. I didn’t know. I know the baby vaccines quite well. No babies on this forum. Should be no problem given simultaneous, except for rare adverse reactions. Seems prudent to get them separately. Reporting a reaction to one vaccine when it was really the other doesn’t help ongoing monitoring.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:17 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

From the CDC website:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...cines/faq.html

"Wait at least 14 days before getting any other vaccine, including a flu or shingles vaccine, if you get your COVID-19 vaccine first,. And if you get another vaccine first, wait at least 14 days before getting your COVID-19 vaccine.

If a COVID-19 vaccine is inadvertently given within 14 days of another vaccine, you do not need to restart the COVID-19 vaccine series; you should still complete the series on schedule. When more data are available on the safety and effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines administered simultaneously with other vaccines, CDC may update this recommendation. this recommendation may be updated."
ESKyoko is offline   Reply With Quote