Join Early Retirement Today

CPAP since age 48. What’s your experience?
Old 06-10-2020, 06:45 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

CPAP since age 48. What’s your experience?

I had an episode of cluster headaches in my late 40s, in which for over a week I woke up with the feeling of an ice pick in my temple. A neurologist gave me an MRI and discovered two suspicious looking places that “might be signs of stroke.” Yikes! I have stroke in my family. I got myself to the Mayo Clinic Sleep Lab.

Outwardly, I was a healthy and trim 40 something but there I was in the Mayo Clinic. One of the things they recommended was a sleep test, which I did that night. My scores were terrible! I assumed it was just a bad night or the machine was off and didn’t take further action. I couldn’t yet accept sleeping using a machine. Denial is a powerful thing when you haven’t had real health problems before.

A year later, my dentist had gotten into making sleep apnea mouth pieces. They required a sleep test with a local sleep clinic and, again, my scores were frightening. I’d been told by DW and others that I could REALLY snore. The doc at the sleep clinic said my case was too bad for a mouthpiece and recommended a CPAP, so I finally took it seriously. Since then, at 54 now, my CPAP has been traded for a much more comfortable BIPAP, which let’s me exhale comfortably. I haven’t had cluster headaches and I sleep so well that I find I need less sleep altogether and fewer naps. DW actually likes the white noise and I no longer snore. I am a lot better off and can see it in the data the machine provides.

Just curious what others’ experiences are? The whole sleep apnea industry has exploded, with supplies now featured at my CVS and implantable devices being introduced.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2020, 06:48 AM   #2

I have a bipap also. I don’t leave home
Without it. It’s been 3 years for me and my events have been cut down to less than 1 an hr. Quality of life has gotten much better in this area.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:59 AM   #3

I have had a CPAP for 12 years; I use it every day. We don't travel without it. My original face piece style was horrible, although I used it for 9 years. New masks needed broken in and they would always cause a wound on the bridge of my nose, I have a permanent divot now. My current device is very simple, a very soft tube that acts as a nasal cannula without the protrudes, it is excellent.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:23 AM   #4

DH has a cpap with a nose-only thing. Not even a mask, just covers the nostrils. It's a pretty small unit overall. Sounds like winemaker's.

He was a horrendous snorer forever before this, I needed earplugs most nights...or the guest room. He never noticed any other impacts (and slept like a baby through the snoring). But a new primary last year decided he needed to get tested. I never thought he had apnea because he never stopped breathing during sleep, but the tests said I was wrong.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:20 AM   #5

I had a CPAP for a few years, back when I was overweight. I had done a home-based sleep study, rather than go into a lab, but the scores were bad, so I got a CPAP. It made sense, because my wife and others told me I snored badly, I was about 40-50 pounds overweight, and I usually felt tired during the day. That was about 10 years ago.

At first, I felt a big improvement in sleep quality. Then I started to have problems with the mask, so I switched it for other models. That helped a little, but I'd still find that the mask caused me to wake up a lot. I stuck with it, but it was a hassle.

After a health crisis (caused by a surgery gone wrong, not my own condition), I finally clued into the dietary and health information I was missing. I lost the excess weight, and I haven't used a CPAP since. I generally wake feeling well-rested (though looking forward to my first cup of coffee, to which I'm addicted).

I haven't had an official retest yet, but I've done my own informal testing, using a portable voice recorder. I put it next to me and tape myself sleeping, then listen to it the next day. Exciting listening, let me tell you!

I average about 4 or 5 apnic episodes an hour, which is at the upper end of the normal range. They increase when I'm on my back, so I try to sleep on my sides. The episodes don't last as long as the ones I was having before, and the "snort" and gasp that follows them isn't as loud as it was before. It was kind of scary, to listen to them before.

Anyhow, that's where I am at the moment. I might get an official sleep study at some point, but for now the tape recorder results are okay.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:23 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've used a CPAP for 19 years. Started with the nose pillows but eventually went to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Resmed-62103-.../dp/B071GTZQZB

Very comfortable. Was issued a new machine and it's so quite, I miss the white noise. Sometimes I have to lift the mask to ensure it's even running. I dream like crazy now.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been using one since age 57. I used the old one for 8 years and my friends kept saying that the new ones were so much better. Got it 3 months ago and love it. I can wear it much longer than the old one.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I tried to use a CPAP after being diagnosed with apnea (and having snored basically my whole life) and could never adjust to it. I couldn't breath through my nose so I had the mouth and nostril mask which felt claustrophobic. My doctor had me try different masks, sedatives, and behavioral techniques to try to get me to adjust and nothing worked.

I eventually had surgery (removed my tonsils, adenoids, and a bunch of extra tissue in my sinuses) and that resolved my apnea. The CPAP would have been a lot cheaper and less painful, but at least I can sleep better and don't snore now.
geeky_grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:33 AM   #9

In 2007 (age52) I had my sleep test due to snoring and high blood pressure. I didn’t feel sleep deprived. I was stunned when I saw the results! It was a classic case of apneas and changes in heart rate.

So I got a crap machine and I chose the nasal pillows. I took to it right away and never had adjustment problems.

I brought home a brochure about sleep apnea and DH read it and realized he had more symptoms than I did. He had a sleep test and his results showed that he also needed a crap machine. He started with a mouth and nose mask and had adjustment problems for a while. Eventually he changed to nasal pillows like me.

We both have newer machines now that have a memory card that you can read. It gives your a record of your sleep. Very interesting.

Our machines include a unit for humidification. DH always uses his and I never do. He needs to always have a supply of distilled water in the house. Not a problem at home but something to think about when planning travel.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:41 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

DH has severe sleep apnea, even with CPAP, he still has episodes according to sleep doc.
He has tried full face masks, nasal mask and now has nasal pillow. That works the best for him, but he still has enough episodes that the machine gears up frequently, which wakes me up and I nudge him to take a deep breath. The sleep lab just notched the pressure up again, so we'll see.
He sleeps much better, I have a white noise machine and ear plugs if needed. Sometimes go to the other room.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:37 PM   #11

Too late to edit my earlier post, but I see that when I typed c p a p I got autocorrected to “crap! Please understand that we love our CPAP machines and would never refer to them as crap!
Old 06-10-2020, 08:26 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I have had cpap's for about ten years. Initially it took me about a year to get used to it. I would wear it for about four hours, then take it off and throw it on the floor. I hated it. At one point I didn't wear it for about four months. But I tried different masks and didn't give up. Now I have had one that has only the nose piece and i love it.

Also know two people that have died from apnea so that is a real motivator!

One other thing. For those that are cleaning the hoses by hand, I would recommend a SoClean machine. The are fairly expensive but save a lot of time.
Oilcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilcan View Post
My wife and I have had cpap's for about ten years. Initially it took me about a year to get used to it. I would wear it for about four hours, then take it off and throw it on the floor. I hated it. At one point I didn't wear it for about four months. But I tried different masks and didn't give up. Now I have had one that has only the nose piece and i love it.

One other thing. For those that are cleaning the hoses by hand, I would recommend a SoClean machine. The are fairly expensive but save a lot of time.

I couldn’t get used to the CPAP or the kind of masks that cover both mouth and nose. Fortunately, the sleep clinic let me a try a bilevel or BIPAP machine, which I bought immediately. Somehow, it’s smart enough to allow me to easily exhale entirely comfortably and naturally. That was revolutionary for me.

Second, I, too, went to a very soft and minimal nose-pillow only, minimal face mask. https://www.usa.philips.com/c-e/hs/s...-to-dream.html However, my mouth still falls open so I combine it with a jaw strap, kind of a soft sling that wraps under my jaw and over my scalp. Add some total blackout eye patches and I’m gone.

I also bought the SoClean, which was evolution #3. Couldn’t be easier.

At first I bought all my supplies from my clinic but the identical name brand stuff is on Amazon for about one third the cost. I just use the auto-reorder function and pay with my HSA for even bigger savings.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:29 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

OP, your post hit me. I've never used a cpap but should have, I had terrible symptoms and it sucked. After I retired I dropped 70 pounds and all my symptoms went away.

Your comments about cluster headaches were interesting. I had clusters for many years when I worked. Oddly I haven't had one in the last 7+ years since I left the workplace. I attributed them to stress and never thought about sleep quality and my horrible snoring. Interesting too, the last treatment they tried was Oxygen.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:06 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post

Second, I, too, went to a very soft and minimal nose-pillow only, minimal face mask. https://www.usa.philips.com/c-e/hs/s...-to-dream.html
+1

This thing is amazing. Even better than the nasal pillows.
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:34 AM   #16

I've been using a bipap with s/t for almost a year. It has completely changed my life. I was having 89 episodes an hour and my O2 levels were dropping as low as 51%. I was exhausted all the time, to the point it wasn't safe to drive. Since using the bipap I'm back to my normal 6 hours of sleep a night, I am no longer exhausted, and I am preventing damage to my health. I don't like using it, but I'll never be without it. I have several styles of masks I alternate through. Can't stand the nasal pillows, my pressure is too high to tolerate them.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilcan View Post

SoClean doesn't clean, it only disinfects. ResMed will void your warrantee if you use it. I had an ozone cleaner but quit using it when I found they really didn't do any good and my DME (who sells SoClean) told me they were pretty much a gimmick. And I couldn't stand the residual ozone smell and decided I didn't want that stuff in m lungs.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:22 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I am slim (apparently like OP) but have moderate apnea. I have been using a Phillips bipap machine for five years. I us the nasal dreamwear mask discussed by several posters above. (I trained myself to keep my mouth closed by using a 1" square of medical adhesive tape over my mouth for a few weeks. Don't try this at home; if you do it's at your own risk. )

The bipap machine has generally made an improvement in my sleep. But alas, lately, I find that I just yank the nasal mask off in my sleep after 1 or 2 hours. I think part of the problem may be that I have a deviated septum and can't get enough oxygen through my nose. Whatever the reason, I am bumming that I am only getting a couple hours of bipap treatment, as opposed to 4-8 hours per night. I used to have no trouble getting 4-8, but now it's a rarity. And the nasal mask is so superior, that full nose/mouth masks and nasal pillows feel like a Darth Vader helmet, now that I've been using the nasal mask.

My sleep doctor has been of little help. Any suggestions?

Also, I have had only one overnight sleep lab stay in the 5 years I've been using a bipap machine. Does anyone else get prescribed sleep tests more often? I'm wondering if my sleep doctor is dropping the ball.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:35 PM   #19

I've used a CPAP for a few years now. Originally, my problem was that the sinus on the lower side of my head would immediately plug at night. The higher side would then dry out and become sore and wake me up. As soon as I'd turn over, it would happen again. It was driving me crazy. I had surgery for a deviated septum, and had a procedure to reduce the size of my turbinates. Neither helped.

I finally had a sleep test, and just had enough episodes that insurance would let me get the CPAP. I have a fairly low setting, but I have the humidifier and heated hose. Now, although the lower sinus still plugs, it's warm humid air I'm breathing, and the higher sinus doesn't dry out and start hurting. I use my CPAP every night, all night. I haven't slept a night without it since I got it.
Masquernom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:44 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

So clean degrades the hose and masks.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote