Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

In most reading I've done on this topic I've found that the big thing you have to be aware of is that most dental plans -- both group or individual -- have a line somewhere in the policy entitled "maximum annual benefit" or something to that effect. This is the overriding cap on the total annual payout, regardless of what percentage is paid for what procedure. In most plans it is a surprisingly low amount -- somewhere between $1,000 and $2,000 per year. It is $1,250 in the group plan I used to be a part of. As another poster alluded to, dental insurance might be a good deal, especially if paid with pretax premiums, if all you need is a couple of routine cleanings per year -- basically a prepaid plan as routine checkups are supposedly "free". For the rest of us, it's a more dubious proposition. My experience has been if you have a big dental bills in a given year, you're still paying most of it out of pocket regardless of your insurance.

My wife and I last year decided to discontinue my group dental. It was just a budgeting issue, as the premiums on our regular health insurance increased. It was an interesting experience. Although it stings some to pay for routine checkups out of pocket, it seems that all the urgent recommendations for "deep scaling" and other assorted "treatment plans" are no longer forthcoming. This reinforces a suspicion I've always had that many dental practices have a person in the office whose job it is to determine how to get the maximum amount out of each patient's insurance benefits -- which means a lot of out of pocket expense as well.
gabrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2016, 01:42 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

dealing with ins. cos. is one of the biggest headaches and takes up more time for the front desk workers in a dental practice. It is one of the reasons I RE. It is also the reason more dental offices are deciding not to be participating providers for ins. cos. The dentist will fill out the ins. forms for you but will expect payment from the patient directly and any reimbursement from the ins will go to the patient.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
dealing with ins. cos. is one of the biggest headaches and takes up more time for the front desk workers in a dental practice. It is one of the reasons I RE. It is also the reason more dental offices are deciding not to be participating providers for ins. cos. The dentist will fill out the ins. forms for you but will expect payment from the patient directly and any reimbursement from the ins will go to the patient.
Brothers in arms....
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:35 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, called to cancel the dental insurance and was told I had to do it through the marketplace since that is where I signed up...

I was able to just cancel dental.... if you go on the site and try and cancel it will cancel ALL your insurance, including healthcare...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #45
Gone but not forgotten

I have Met life dental federal insurance and it has been great . They process claims fast and then send the claims to federal blue cross +blue shield so most of my procedures are almost fully covered . I went to a new Dentist recently and the insurance person said "That is great insurance ".
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

The state of Illinois now requires all children are covered by dental insurance. That's the only reason we have the crappy plan 5hat we have. $60/mo for basically little benefit.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:55 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have Met life dental federal insurance and it has been great . They process claims fast and then send the claims to federal blue cross +blue shield so most of my procedures are almost fully covered . I went to a new Dentist recently and the insurance person said "That is great insurance ".
That must be through an employer?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote