Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-08-2008, 02:54 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Okay guys. I'm a practicing dentist so I'll give you my two cents on the various comments made.

- Most crown turn around times are 1-2 weeks. Although you can do it in a day or two if necessary

- Cerec is a great technology to have. It is true that the scanning allows you to get the crown within hours. But it is not true that the fit is better than a lab. I think they are more or less comparable. the negatives on cerec is that the crown is actually weaker than most lab made crowns, due to the material being used (porcelain block). Also cerec is a less esthetic crown due to the inablility to create any translucency in the porcelain, although if it is a tooth in the back of your mouth you won't notice the difference.

- The metal content of a crown is important. Not only from a health standpoint, but from a casting quality standpoint. Many people have metal sensitivities so you want to use gold, palladium, or titanium....Not lead!
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
Okay guys. I'm a practicing dentist
Well, you lost me there!
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree...a porcelain on gold crown is pretty much your best bet for appearance and long lasting life.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Had my crown installed this afternoon but the crown I broke 2 days ago wasn't the temporary one, it was a permanent crown. But the good news is......it was only 16 months old so they are going to replace that one for free.

Guess I need to start eating soft stuff like my 90 year old mom.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Had my crown installed this afternoon but the crown I broke 2 days ago wasn't the temporary one, it was a permanent crown. But the good news is......it was only 16 months old so they are going to replace that one for free.

I have enough crowns in my mouth to be royality and I have never had one break . Sounds like it was a faulty crown .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:

Glad you got new chompers... but I don't think you should have to restrict your food choices. Good crowns should stay put and feel like the original tooth - or maybe better if it was full of old amalgam filling.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

There are lots of different types of crowns. Lets start with the basics. There are three different types of "permanent" crowns. All metal, i.e gold, porcelain fused to metal, and all ceramic. 90% of crowns are porcelain fused to metal. They fit well, last a long time if done well, and have been around a long time. If esthetics are not a concern like on a back molar that does not show, a gold crown is a good choice. Least irritation to the gums and you do not have to worry about the porcelain chipping. Also the kindest to the opposing teeth. The newest crowns are the all ceramic crowns. One example would be the Cerec crowns done in one visit at the dentists office. These will probably not look as nice as the ones done in a dental lab because the lab will a combination of porcelains, some more translucent, and will use stains and glazings that usually are not done in a dentists office. There are many different types of ceramics/porcelain that a crown can be made out of. Some are much stronger, some are more esthetic. It depends on if it is a front tooth or a back tooth. I hope that helps a little.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Oh, give her a break. Eat mashed potatoes or soup or something. She'd probably be tough anyway!
Old 05-08-2008, 07:25 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
There are lots of different types of crowns. Lets start with the basics. There are three different types of "permanent" crowns. All metal, i.e gold, porcelain fused to metal, and all ceramic. 90% of crowns are porcelain fused to metal. They fit well, last a long time if done well, and have been around a long time. If esthetics are not a concern like on a back molar that does not show, a gold crown is a good choice. Least irritation to the gums and you do not have to worry about the porcelain chipping. Also the kindest to the opposing teeth. The newest crowns are the all ceramic crowns. One example would be the Cerec crowns done in one visit at the dentists office. These will probably not look as nice as the ones done in a dental lab because the lab will a combination of porcelains, some more translucent, and will use stains and glazings that usually are not done in a dentists office. There are many different types of ceramics/porcelain that a crown can be made out of. Some are much stronger, some are more esthetic. It depends on if it is a front tooth or a back tooth. I hope that helps a little.
Didn't realize there were so many variables.

What are the choices after an implant? Same materials, or are you limited? I have one tooth that may need replacement, though my dentist is valiantly trying to keep this molar in the game with creative amalgams. It fractured long ago, has had a root canal, and is probably hanging on by a thread (asymptomatically, thankfully).

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Didn't realize there were so many variables.

What are the choices after an implant? Same materials, or are you limited? I have one tooth that may need replacement, though my dentist is valiantly trying to keep this molar in the game with creative amalgams. It fractured long ago, has had a root canal, and is probably hanging on by a thread (asymptomatically, thankfully).
With implants you have the same material choices. If esthetics are important be sure to ask for a cementable crown restoration as apposed to a screw retained one.
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just had my implant crown installed last Thursday. Was expensive, about $2K for the implant, another $2K for the tooth. Insurance paid about 40% maybe?

Anyways, it was a front bottom tooth (I was born with only 2 of the 4) and I ended up with a pretty big space when I had my braces.

Works pretty good so far!
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I have had both the traditional crowns and the 1 hour crowns. I think my 1 hour crown is more aesthetically pleasing. There is no ugly metal showing at the gum line.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #33

Mine were a week to 10 days, depending on whether or not I had a rush order or not.

If they were made in China be sure to get the discount passed along to you...with average factory worker wages at about $100 a month, you would be getting sc*@wed if you had to pay 800-1000 for it. And, be careful of the quality!

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Oh, give her a break. Eat mashed potatoes or soup or something. She'd probably be tough anyway!

People are going to wonder why I can't stop giggling.
NotReady4Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

My crowns are gold. They show when I laugh or smile broadly. I really don't care - I like gold anyway.

Ha
Old 05-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #36

Quote:
Mine cost $870. Still have dentist insurance so it cost me 1/2 that price. But it runs out soon so might be time to look for a new dentist. Chaps my butt to cost that much and 8 weeks later, I don't have it.
I lost my insurance last year when I retired. Dentist is a friend. $900 if paying any way but cash (as in bills), $600 otherwise.