Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Curious what others think will happen if ACA is overturned by SCOTUS
Old 06-26-2020, 05:49 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you think if SCOTUS rules ACA is unconstitutional there will be chaos immediately or will ACA somehow be phased out?

Will some states simply mimic ACA requirements for insurers in their states?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2020, 06:17 AM   #2

To allow this thread for discussion, please refrain from partisan politics which, as our recent past shows, result in thread closure every time we open this topic.

Here are 3 threads covering the same question from the past year. Lots of opinions.

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ca-103735.html

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...aca-98666.html

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...-97040-10.html
Old 06-26-2020, 09:54 AM   #3

Even if SCOTUS comes to the conclusion that it is unconstitutional, it will not be shut down. States are already able to throw their own spin on top of ACA. For example, even though the individual mandate was eliminated, NJ kept it in place (to negotiate lower premiums with the insurers) and still requires everyone be insured. Similar to prior federal guidelines, if you do not have coverage, then you are fined/penalized by the state.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:04 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I believe MA had their own marketplace for years before the Fed mandate came to be. Other states that did the same, IMO, won’t be going anywhere.

No idea what happens to states that hitched onto the Federal marketplace.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is a big deal to me and my brother. Agree with njhowie, but only for certain states.
Not sure if it would go away so quickly with no substitute or already acknowledged no planned substitute in place.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:01 AM   #6

If the entire ACA were invalidated, wouldn't the subsidies have to go away? And wouldn't the exchanges go away? What would the insurance companies do, dump the policies or start billing the insured for the cost of full freight?

This sort of uncertainty is what kept me on DW's retiree policy, even though it costs more than an exchange policy. If she dumps me off her policy the terms are that I can't get back on.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #7

Everything I have read about the suit says it is flimsy and dubious in logic, I doubt they get rid of anything.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:32 AM   #8

I have no idea what will happen but have always thought it was too good to be true and would disappear someday.

Will then pay for my own healthcare/insurance.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:43 PM   #9

IMHO, the ACA will not be overturned by the Court this term. The five justices who voted to uphold the law in 2012 are still there and very likely will be skeptical of attempts to overturn it. My two cents...
Old 06-26-2020, 01:15 PM   #10

Reason I am interested in folks' views is that we are considering moving from a state where the State AG filed in support of ACA to a state where the AG is part of the lawsuit to overturn.

Add if it is overturned (which if I was to bet would be no) I am looking at probably 15 months of exposure until Medicare.

So I am contemplating if this potential issue is even worth putting in my decision tree as a negative for moving?
Old 06-26-2020, 01:24 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
Reason I am interested in folks' views is that we are considering moving from a state where the State AG filed in support of ACA to a state where the AG is part of the lawsuit to overturn.

Add if it is overturned (which if I was to bet would be no) I am looking at probably 15 months of exposure until Medicare.

So I am contemplating if this potential issue is even worth putting in my decision tree as a negative for moving?
We had the same situation and still moved. DGF is already on Medicare, but I had 7.5 years to go when I moved. Now down to 4 years.
With only 15 months of exposure, I would not consider this aspect as a make or break decision.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
We had the same situation and still moved. DGF is already on Medicare, but I had 7.5 years to go when I moved. Now down to 4 years.
With only 15 months of exposure, I would not consider this aspect as a make or break decision.
That is where I am leaning. My concern is not paying for insurance over the gap. My principle concern is if ACA gets stricken down then "preexisting condition" wags its ugly head.

And not withstanding have no health issues (take no medicines), I did have emergency gall bladder surgery 18 months ago. No telling how Insurance company might spin that ...
Old 06-26-2020, 01:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
That is where I am leaning. My concern is not paying for insurance over the gap. My principle concern is if ACA gets stricken down then "preexisting condition" wags its ugly head.

And not withstanding have no health issues (take no medicines), I did have emergency gall bladder surgery 18 months ago. No telling how Insurance company might spin that ...
IMHO, It is the lack of community ratings on the premiums that is the large issue.

Most of the opposition proposals include "preexisting condition" protections, but they allow the insurance companies to freely price for them (ie medical underwriting).

-gauss
Old 06-26-2020, 01:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
IMHO, It is the lack of community ratings on the premiums that is the large issue.

Most of the opposition proposals include "preexisting condition" protections, but they allow the insurance companies to freely price for them (ie medical underwriting).

-gauss

But in the immediate aftermath if ACA is overturned there will not be any protection.

I agree it will most likely follow (as it is very popular), but how quickly?

I guess another question is if ACA gets overturned do Insurance companies have to honor existing terms of policy until new renewal period. If that is the case my exposure drops to two months!

I am no doubt making more of this than is necessary...
Old 06-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I think the Justices are well aware of the importance of the issue and will, if they do overturn any aspect of the law, will likely seek to minimize the turmoil on the country, probably by writing as narrow of an opinion as they can.

The useless answer to the question is that if part of the law is determined to be unconstitutional, then the situation will be such that it is as though that portion of the law is not, in fact, law. With a large complicated law that was crafted as an interdependent whole, I think the challenge for the Court will be determining suitable spots for severability if they do decide to strike down part of the law.

Personally I doubt they will invalidate the entire ACA.

I did consider when making my FIRE decision what I would do if the healthcare landscape changed again. I decided there would probably be a way for me to make it work in whatever new / next system we have. So I personally didn't worry about it too much.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I doubt that SCOTUS will strike down ACA, but if they did my crystal ball sees existing policies remaining in force for the rest of the calendar year, no medical underwriting as long as someone has continuous coverage (no break in coverage for more than 6 months), etc.

The bugaboo is subsidies, though Congress may well adopt something similar prospectively.

Like I say, I high doubt that it will happen so I'm not going to wate any more brain cells on it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 06-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #17

What I’ve been reading says the earliest oral arguments would be heard is November so I extrapolate from that a decision wouldn’t be likely until months after that.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
If the entire ACA were invalidated, wouldn't the subsidies have to go away? And wouldn't the exchanges go away?
Yes, and not only that, it would eliminate the Medicaid Expansion, which is actually part of the ACA.

Most legal experts think the plaintiffs' argument is weak and that the ACA will stand.

We should hear a decision by about this time in 2021.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXguy View Post
Yes, and not only that, it would eliminate the Medicaid Expansion, which is actually part of the ACA.

That’s my understanding and why this affects well over 100 million Americans, many of whom vote, not “merely” the 20 million + directly on the exchanges.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:49 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

It seems to me that it's an all or nothing situation. They either get rid of the ACA completely or not at all. I think not at all. For my personal situation, I hope it stays in place. If it is abolished I would have to go on Medicaid I guess. My income is $15-20K/yr or less if I choose as I am self employed part time. I have chronic pain that leaves me unable to do full time work yet am not disabled enough to get SS disability because I am only 40(41 in August). It would be very bad for me and millions of other lower income/net worth people if it was abolished.
Closed Thread