Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Current Administration vow to eliminating ACA
Old 05-07-2020, 09:29 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Current Administration vow to eliminating ACA

White house directly went to supreme court for this. If it is succeeded, we - early retirees will have to pay big dollar for health insurance. Worse with some who has health issues (pre-existing condition)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eucerin View Post
White house directly went to supreme court for this. If it is succeeded, we - early retirees will have to pay big dollar for health insurance. Worse with some who has health issues (pre-existing condition)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp
On the other hand, ACA increased the health care premiums of higher income early retirees so perhaps the ACA repeal will lower their premiums.

There are 2 sides to this issue.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:27 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
On the other hand, ACA increased the health care premiums of higher income early retirees so perhaps the ACA repeal will lower their premiums.

This is true.
The current ACA setup is great for my brother and I who save 22k yearly.
However having such disparities in premiums across different states for the same MAGI is not fair either.
I can't imagine any new setup wouldn't include a provision for pre existing conditions.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
This is true.
However having such disparities in premiums across different states for the same MAGI is not fair either.
I can't imagine any new setup wouldn't include a provision for pre existing conditions.
The problem is there IS no new setup in sight! Don't repeal without replace.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeter1093 View Post
Well ya. I was being kind.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:59 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Something that I don't quite understand - could someone illuminate me?

It seems almost everyone on the forum that is under 65 just can't wait to have medicare, which will provide basic hospital care, then you get part B D part F G N etc... depends on how much more fancy care you'd need - then medicare advantages is another option.

What if we make medicare available to everyone at cost (whatever cost that the government pays for 65 crowd) - then samething with part B D F G N - whatever you want just pay.

With lot of people in the medicare pool (not just 65 crowd), would it bring the medicare premium cost down?
Old 05-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by neihn View Post
Something that I don't quite understand - could someone illuminate me?

It seems almost everyone on the forum that is under 65 just can't wait to have medicare, which will provide basic hospital care, then you get part B D part F G N etc... depends on how much more fancy care you'd need - then medicare advantages is another option.

What if we make medicare available to everyone at cost (whatever cost that the government pays for 65 crowd) - then samething with part B D F G N - whatever you want just pay.

With lot of people in the medicare pool (not just 65 crowd), would it bring the medicare premium cost down?
Medicare spends about $11K per year per person. So ~$22K for a couple. I think buying in for under 65 is a reasonable idea, but perhaps not a great buy. It would take an awful lot of buy-ins to move the needle.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
Old 05-07-2020, 03:10 PM   #8

We just got a Medicare statement for an MRI. ILLED $450, Medicare paid $59, Sup paid $27. I’m not sure how this even covered the techs time much less the sunk cost of machines and facility. While Medicare for all sounds fine I can’t see it working at these payments.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeter1093 View Post
To be fair, BCBS/Anthem/Aetna aren't going anywhere and health insurance is actually regulated by the States (for better or worse), so they can keep all the Federal overlay regulations if they want. The biggest thing that would go away is the taxpayer subsidy for Exchange plans.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
Old 05-07-2020, 03:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
The biggest thing that would go away is the taxpayer subsidy for Exchange plans.
Financially, yes. But I'd think that the protection for coverage for pre-existing conditions is a bigger impact for many, as it's Y/N on if you can get private non-group insurance at all.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
This is true.
The other interesting item to balance is that -at least in our area - it is not easy to find a provider that will accept ACA insurance. None of our current providers accept ACA insurance. I know this is not as high a priority as ensuring one can get insurance in the first place, but has to be considered.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:27 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
The other interesting item to balance is that -at least in our area - it is not easy to find a provider that will accept ACA insurance. None of our current providers accept ACA insurance. I know this is not as high a priority as ensuring one can get insurance in the first place, but has to be considered.
Yeah didn't think about that.
Took it for granted, as every provider by me accepts ACA.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:55 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
We just got a Medicare statement for an MRI. ILLED $450, Medicare paid $59, Sup paid $27. Iím not sure how this even covered the techs time much less the sunk cost of machines and facility. While Medicare for all sounds fine I canít see it working at these payments.
The change would have to start from hospitals, doctors and drug companies. without these changes, Medicare for all is impossible
Old 05-07-2020, 04:05 PM   #14

I do like the idea of medicare for anyone who wants to pay. The 11k per year premium probably does not really cover the government cost.

In anycase , the House will never pass killing the ACA. It is here to stay , unless Bernie ends up in the oval office .
Old 05-07-2020, 04:11 PM   #15

Quote:

Yes, my health insurance was very affordable before ACA. Now it isn't.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
We just got a Medicare statement for an MRI. ILLED $450, Medicare paid $59, Sup paid $27. Iím not sure how this even covered the techs time much less the sunk cost of machines and facility. While Medicare for all sounds fine I canít see it working at these payments.
This x1000. My DW had spine surgery a couple of months ago and the first *big* bill was $184,000 and insurance (Tricare, which pretty much follows medicare) paid about $8,000. It really makes no sense to me.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:19 PM   #17

Quote:

This is where I get into it with my brother. He boasts about getting a subsidy. I tell him, youíre welcome. I pay it.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:42 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Medicare spends about $11K per year per person. So ~$22K for a couple. I think buying in for under 65 is a reasonable idea, but perhaps not a great buy. It would take an awful lot of buy-ins to move the needle.

Theoretically if they charged that much it would make Medicare more actuarial sound. As the under 65 crowd should be cheaper.
But then again the sickest folks are on the gold and platinum policies now and those costs are shifted to bronze... so maybe not.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
This x1000. My DW had spine surgery a couple of months ago and the first *big* bill was $184,000 and insurance (Tricare, which pretty much follows medicare) paid about $8,000. It really makes no sense to me.

It also says god help you if you donít have insurance to negotiate the costs down!!!!

Frankly I would like it if they offered a 50k deductible policy just to get their rates and pay everything myself unless I got the big C , heart attack etc.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
This is where I get into it with my brother. He boasts about getting a subsidy. I tell him, youíre welcome. I pay it.
Medicare is also subsidized for most people.

Closed Thread