Join Early Retirement Today

It happened to me too....
Old 09-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It happened to me too....

I had two implants done starting 18 months ago. It was about 8 months from start to finish for each implant. The lower risk implant failed about 6 months after completion. I am really worried that a redo won't take. I am also worried about the higher risk implant which is less than 6 months old. In discussing the failure the speculation is that a sinus infection may have caused the bone supporting the implant to deteriorate. I'm worried that I may have chronic sinus issues that will prevent me from being a good candidate at all and my money will have been wasted.

Edit. The process was fairly painless for me since I splurged for the laughing gas at a cost of $100/implant. Best $100 I ever spent. It was very responsibly administered (e.g. I did not get that feeling of euphoria) and had almost no discomfort when I got home.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2020, 11:41 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

question about the gas...... is that done along with local anesthetic? or is it the only anesthetic used?
grayv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:03 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Ah ok so the failure is not related to the current-in-progress bridge implant?

How long ago was the one on the right done? It might have been done perfectly, but if other factors caused bone loss over time, well, nothing is really permanent....As long as your doctor has confidence in the bone of your new/left implant, it shouldn't interrupt that work.

A couple years ago this implant thing is fairly new to me.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayv View Post
question about the gas...... is that done along with local anesthetic? or is it the only anesthetic used?

The extraction usually involves a couple shots but with the implant the bone has no nerves. That’s uncomfortable, a little post implant gum soreness but otherwise not bad.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:22 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Just make sure you do not get orthnecrosis. It took out two implants and required the rebuilding of the jawbone, Expensive and time wasting,
Old 09-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Both smoking and drinking can cause them to fail. My bottoms were done by a oral surgeon and they screw in really deep. My tops were done by a regular dentist and were much shorter and all failed.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:50 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

[QUOTE=kcowan;2486436]Just make sure you do not get orthnecrosis. It took out two implants and required the rebuilding of the jawbone, Expensive and time wasting,

i think you mean osteonecrosis of the jaw, ONJ. the most common cause is when the patient is taking bisphosphonate medications.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:52 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

[QUOTE=Teacher Terry;2486448]Both smoking and drinking can cause them to fail. My bottoms were done by a oral surgeon and they screw in really deep. My tops were done by a regular dentist and were much shorter and all failed.[/QUOTE

the length of the implant used is determined by looking at the cbct image and seeing how much bone there is. the more bone, the longer the implant.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:29 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

ray-sorry this happened to you.

Both DH and I have implants done by oral surgeon. Start to finish was at least 6 months, allowing for healing after extraction, bone "granules" to take, implant to set and bone to heal, then crown.
My brother had a one day extraction and implant done last year. He developed an infection, was on antibiotics for several weeks. Finally healed, and, so far, is good.
peri implantitis
Old 09-22-2020, 04:24 AM   #30

peri implantitis

As I sit here in my favorite morning chair, with my first cup of coffee I am grateful my mouth is not aching. It’s been a month of discomfort but that stopped yesterday. The second of two implant the dentist removed with his hand. An investment of more than $6,000 gone in a week or so. The pain stopped immediately.

There are words that I would prefer not knowing the meaning of. peri implantitis are a phrase that fits that category. I mistakenly thought if an implant is in for a couple of months you are ‘good to go.’ That I learned is not true.

Peri-implantitis is a destructive inflammatory process affecting
the soft and hard tissues surrounding dental implants. The soft
tissues become inflamed whereas the alveolar bone (hard
tissue), which surrounds the implant for the purposes o
retention, is lost over time.

He informed me the bone is doing nicely where the implant was. Well that is good I guess -In six months we will revisit the situation.

I remind myself I am a lucky fellow - this is a minor ‘bump in the road’ and life goes on.

Nearly time for my morning walk - it will be wonderful.

Be well.

Mod edit: Moved to existing thread on same topic.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:35 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I am paying big bucks for my DWs failure...

It is 2 implants for 2 teeth.. been in for years... recently she got 3 implants for 4 teeth above them... and the lower ones failed!!!

We are told it is grinding... well, she had gone in and said things did not fee right but dentist (not the one doing the implant) said all was OK....

Yep, a big cost that seems to keep coming..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:32 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
As I sit here in my favorite morning chair, with my first cup of coffee I am grateful my mouth is not aching. It’s been a month of discomfort but that stopped yesterday. The second of two implant the dentist removed with his hand. An investment of more than $6,000 gone in a week or so. The pain stopped immediately.

There are words that I would prefer not knowing the meaning of. peri implantitis are a phrase that fits that category. I mistakenly thought if an implant is in for a couple of months you are ‘good to go.’ That I learned is not true.

Peri-implantitis is a destructive inflammatory process affecting
the soft and hard tissues surrounding dental implants. The soft
tissues become inflamed whereas the alveolar bone (hard
tissue), which surrounds the implant for the purposes o
retention, is lost over time.

He informed me the bone is doing nicely where the implant was. Well that is good I guess -In six months we will revisit the situation.

I remind myself I am a lucky fellow - this is a minor ‘bump in the road’ and life goes on.

Nearly time for my morning walk - it will be wonderful.

Be well.

Mod edit: Moved to existing thread on same topic.
Well this is just what I needed to hear "sortof". I could do without the fancy terminology. I just only wanna know what I absolutely need to know. My oral surgeon seems to think I have simply "overloaded" the implants and/or chronic sinusitus could be contributing to the failure. He seems to believe we should assess how the bone heals naturally and will likely try again in six months. I can live with that. In the meantime the higher risk implant seems to be getting tender. These are both uppers.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:21 PM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

I may be a contrarian - had a two-tooth bridge that lasted over 30 years (porcelain). When it finally became loose, replaced it with a Zirconium bridge. No pain, two sittings, total cost $3400, $2000 from dental insurance (across two years) and the other $1400 from my HSA.
TexasPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Dental implant failure
Old 09-30-2020, 11:05 AM   #34

Dental implant failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPE View Post
I may be a contrarian - had a two-tooth bridge that lasted over 30 years (porcelain). When it finally became loose, replaced it with a Zirconium bridge. No pain, two sittings, total cost $3400, $2000 from dental insurance (across two years) and the other $1400 from my HSA.

Three teeth and not a decent root amongst them... different problems require different solutions ...