Join Early Retirement Today

Dental implant failure
Old 09-14-2020, 03:24 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dental implant failure

Implants are supposed to be a one and done thing, I suppose that’s why they are so expensive. I learned there can be rare exceptions to this one and done thing. I also know there are far worse things in this world and I am fortunate both that we can afford their expense and I don’t have far worse problems.

It all started when an old bridge on the left top of my mouth failed. I wanted it fixed permanently. A two implant 3 tooth bridge was eventually the agreed upon solution. The cost, omg don’t ask - Mexican dental tourism comes to mind. He pulled what remained of my two teeth. I got two implants and a temporary bridge. The next three weeks were an unpleasant battle with Tylenol and at first soreness then a kind of electric jolts. Finally it all subsided.

With implants you get them and then you wait months for the bone to grow around then. It had been been three months and oddly the right upper side of my mouth started bothering me. I thought what now? The X-ray showed 2 implants one with dark empty space around it where bone should be. He pulled that $2,500 plus investment out with his fingers. They packed the area with bone and quickly took images for the permanent left side bridge. I’ll have to wait two more weeks for that bridge to be manufactured God knows where. It’s all electronic these days no goopy mold taking and an automated milling machine.

I believe the one that failed was my first implant and truly it never felt right from the start. Since it was my first implant I didn’t know what to expect. I am a little worried about my lost implants brother will the bone stabilize? Can I get a new implant in say 6 months .. Either way I’m not in pain and life goes on. I just have to eat gingerly... and pray.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2020, 04:15 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't remember exactly from previous thread, but did you get the implant and graft at same time? After extraction, I had bone graft, then wait months for it to set, then the implant. But it has been just one implant here.

Wish you well on this.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post

With implants you get them and then you wait months for the bone to grow around then. It had been been three months and oddly the right upper side of my mouth started bothering me. I thought what now? The X-ray showed 2 implants one with dark empty space around it where bone should be. He pulled that $2,500 plus investment out with his fingers. They packed the area with bone and quickly took images for the permanent left side bridge. I’ll have to wait two more weeks for that bridge to be manufactured God knows where. It’s all electronic these days no goopy mold taking and an automated milling machine.
This is actually not the process that occurs with an implant in my experience. I've had 2 successful implants and each took 9-10 months from start to finish. First, the tooth to be replaced with an implant is pulled and the area is packed with bone graft. You then wait months, at least 4-5 if all goes perfectly, longer if the bone has not set perfectly(Xrays monthly). Then the implant itself (just the base) is inserted into that bone. Then another wait of 60-90 days. Then a temporary tooth is molded and placed on the base, with the final tooth placed about 6 weeks later. This last phase could be shortened depending on the speed of the fabricator of the tooth.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:12 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I had a similar problem with a two tooth implant. I had a bone graft, waited 6 months. and then had the implant posts installed. While I was waiting for the posts to fully set one became infected and had to be removed, then the area re-grafted. Finally the second post was successfully installed and a few months later both crowns installed. After a year all is well. The whole process was a PITA and has made me rethink having an implant in another area of my mouth.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:36 AM   #5

Confused Ray - is the right-side failure an older implant, or part of the new one you're going through (which you said was left-side?).

Either way I hope for the best for you!
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:04 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Ideally, everything is one and done. Realistically, every case is different; that is one reason they cost so much, because Person 1's case may take 2X the effort as Person 2's. Anyway, I envy people who can get implants, because I don't have enough jawbone for them. Good luck on your latest implant effort.

Quote:
Implants are supposed to be a one and done thing, I suppose that’s why they are so expensive. .
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Confused Ray - is the right-side failure an older implant, or part of the new one you're going through (which you said was left-side?).

Either way I hope for the best for you!

Older implant failed on right
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:35 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Ray, that all sounds unpleasant. Hope it works out with a permanent solution.

Curious: where does bone for graft come from?
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:12 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Dead people. Sometimes, dead pigs (or so I was informed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Older implant failed on right
Ah ok so the failure is not related to the current-in-progress bridge implant?

How long ago was the one on the right done? It might have been done perfectly, but if other factors caused bone loss over time, well, nothing is really permanent....As long as your doctor has confidence in the bone of your new/left implant, it shouldn't interrupt that work.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:23 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Going through this process now. The bone graft is synthetic using hydroxyapatite - same mineral found in real bone.
JRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:36 PM   #12

You mean it is not like the TV commercials that have you in and out in one day?

In all seriousness, I have been considering some implants, but the long time from start to finish is what has me reconsidering (well that and the cost).

And, of course, Covid has put any optional procedure like that on hold anyway.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:05 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Unfortunately my husband has had several implants with probably more in the future. I should probably post on the Blow the Dough Thread for people looking for ways to spend money!

His dentist was ready to do put in the post at six months after the graft but my husband after doing some research waited 9 months to make sure everything was okay.

I hope your new implants take. It's not a fun process and you get to pay out the wazoo for the pleasure.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:28 PM   #14

Not trying to hijack this thread but am curious how common gum transplants are as part of the implant procedure? My perio doc wants to do an implant to replace a damaged molar but has indicated it starts with a gum tissue transplant. Transplant tissue is harvested from the palette. DD had this done and said it was worse than the implant
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:16 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
You mean it is not like the TV commercials that have you in and out in one day?

In all seriousness, I have been considering some implants, but the long time from start to finish is what has me reconsidering (well that and the cost).

And, of course, Covid has put any optional procedure like that on hold anyway.

My wife just went in on 9/11 to start the procedure for yet ANOTHER implant. She had a previously root-canaled tooth break off at the gum line. The rest of the tooth was pulled and a small piece of bone was inserted in the opening and stitched close. She goes back in about 4 months to see how the bone has healed and if all is good they will install the post at that time. Then she'll wait about another 3-4 months and go back to make sure the bone around the post is good and solid. At that time they will do what they do to start making the tooth that will attach to the post. The entire process takes 8-10 months if everything goes as planned. The cost for one implant is $2500 and my insurance pays 40%.

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
My wife just went in on 9/11 to start the procedure for yet ANOTHER implant. She had a previously root-canaled tooth break off at the gum line. The rest of the tooth was pulled and a small piece of bone was inserted in the opening and stitched close. She goes back in about 4 months to see how the bone has healed and if all is good they will install the post at that time. Then she'll wait about another 3-4 months and go back to make sure the bone around the post is good and solid. At that time they will do what they do to start making the tooth that will attach to the post. The entire process takes 8-10 months if everything goes as planned. The cost for one implant is $2500 and my insurance pays 40%.

Mike
Wow. $2500 including the final tooth. That's a bargain.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:12 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Wow. $2500 including the final tooth. That's a bargain.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with geographical location. I have family up north that have paid twice that for a single implant and come real close to calling me a fibber when I tell them what we pay. My wife has had a handful of implants in her adult life, and two of them were a bridge scenario just like the OP talks about. The doctor she is seeing is an oral surgeon and has done a few of her implants. I have seen advertisements on TV for single implants from start to finish for $1699 here in North Florida.

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:37 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRon View Post
Going through this process now. The bone graft is synthetic using hydroxyapatite - same mineral found in real bone.
That's pretty interesting. Hope you get a good result.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:09 PM   #19

Amazing range of prices. I just paid $6,500 which included a bone graft. The oral surgeon's take was ~2,700 and the dentist's ~3,800. DH just finished with his (he uses a different oral surgeon) and same costs. He had a one implant, 2 crowns done about 4 years ago for ~$12K although his bone loss was so great he had stem cell procedure done instead of graft which is much more time consuming and expensive. The cells themselves cost $1,800. DH was still working and had dental insurance so $4K was covered, $2K each year.

Our current dental insurance is crappy and doesn't cover anything related to implants, zip. I've already cancelled mine and we'll self insure from now on.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:54 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

My dentist told me that smokers do not make good implant subjects. Do you smoke? My dentist also told me to take Vit C during the entire implant period.
LXEX55 is offline   Reply With Quote