Dental implant or not?

Bob_Walter

Recycles dryer sheets
My wife has to get her very back upper molar pulled due to decay (crow fell out and too much decay to save it). She is thinking of not having any implant done. Is there anything bad about not putting an implant in?

If no "tooth" is in place, then the other surrounding teeth can shift.

It depends. Does the tooth below the one extracted have any contact with the adjacent tooth above? If not, the tooth below will erupt up over time.

If it were me and I had the resources I would definitely do it. It's a lengthy process but your future eating comfort is worth the cost.

when you say it is her very back molar could you be more specific. is it the first, second or third molar. if it is the first molar then definitely yes, assuming she has a lower first molar in occlusion. if it is a second molar it may not be necessary since the lower second molar would be in occlusion with the upper first molar and would not hyper-erupt. it would be unusual to place an implant to replace a third molar. most of your chewing is done on the 2nd premolars and first molars. as far as esthetics is concerned you would have to see how much shows when you smile. most of the time you can only see the first molar. if you decide to have an implant it probably would be best to have a bone graft done at the time of the extraction.

when you say it is her very back molar could you be more specific. is it the first, second or third molar. if it is the first molar then definitely yes, assuming she has a lower first molar in occlusion. if it is a second molar it may not be necessary since the lower second molar would be in occlusion with the upper first molar and would not hyper-erupt. it would be unusual to place an implant to replace a third molar. most of your chewing is done on the 2nd premolars and first molars. as far as esthetics is concerned you would have to see how much shows when you smile. most of the time you can only see the first molar. if you decide to have an implant it probably would be best to have a bone graft done at the time of the extraction.

Thanks, it is the second molar, she has no wisdom teeth.

Implants do not always work. Ask me how I know :(

When they fail it's not only mortifying when they pry them out it winds up being very expensive.

Make sure you ask questions.

My wife has to get her very back upper molar pulled due to decay (crow fell out and too much decay to save it). She is thinking of not having any implant done. Is there anything bad about not putting an implant in?

i had to have a lower molar extracted during the pandemic, in April

every dentist and oral surgeon I spoke with said to get an implant for that lower molar since the top one will eventually come loose and cause problems - they did tell me, however, that if it was an upper molar that was extracted i could forego the implant - YMMV, bigly - I would go in for a consultation

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom