Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2016, 09:11 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcasIslandBound View Post
The last time we went to Mexico, the taxi driver drove us through a shopping center parking lot on the way to Guadalajara grill. A couple of guys with very big guns looked us over and walked away. The taxi driver had to pay a token to exit the parking lot.
Sounds like the taxi driver was being paid to parade you by. At least in Texas, the parking might have been free...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2016, 09:25 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
and that, my friends, is the way it is supposed to work. Congratulations on finding a good one.
+ 1

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:59 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

Unfortunately, because of cutbacks, and the culture of greed growing world wide, many dentists should be avoided. There is no magic to good dentistry, it can be had anywhere when the dentist is motivated to provide care he or she would provide to their own child. I can't think of a way to avoid bad dentists. I have replaced a lot of extremely bad mexican border dental work. I am retired now. I feel bad for my patients looking for care.
chip2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:17 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

There are two things I dread when moving to a new town: finding a mechanic and finding a dentist.

References are vital. From knowledgeable parties, if at all possible. In this country or any other.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dental update

Well we did it. Drove from Louisiana to Yuma, AZ then went to a dentist in Los Algodones, MX.
The entire experience was actually very easy and pleasant. We searched on the website: Dentaldepartures.com and chose 5 of the top rated clinics. I emailed these and chose Ciro Dental mainly because they could give us a 9am appointment time on the day after we arrived in Yuma. There is a huge parking lot right at the US-Mexico border that costs $6. From there it is a short walk into Los Algodones with no entry checks. The dentist is about 2 short blocks from the entry point. The dentist actually offered to have someone meet us at the border to walk us over but we decided not.
The office was small but has comfortable chairs, bottled water, coffee, A/C, TV, and free wifi. The treatment rooms were small but modern and very clean. Our dentist spoke some english but the hygienist spoke english very well.
I had a cleaning/exam, root canal, and 1 crown. My DW had a cleaning/exam, 1 crown, and had 1 implant prep. We'll return in 4 months to have her implant completed. The costs were as follows:
Cleaning/exam $35
Zirconia crown (no metal) $425 (there do have cheaper options starting at $200)
Root canal $200
Implant $1150
Antibiotics, pain pills, etc. $35
They require cash payment of 1/2 the first treatment day with final cash payment on final day. These prices are typical of all dentists there.
I also bought a pair of Rx sunglasses of bendable metal for $250 ($600 in USA). My DW bought a pair of bifocals for $29.00
I can honestly say that I usually hate dentists but this is the first time that I had absolutely NO pain. The crown didn't need any grinding or adjusting, it was a perfect fit and only took 3 days to make. The dentist and hygienist were very polite and professional.
So looks like we will plan to make yearly trips there.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:46 AM   #26

I've had mostly good experiences with dentistry in Mexico, but we weren't at the border. The odd thing is that any procedure that requires nitrous oxide also requires a licensed anesthesiologist, so is generally not provided. So I got my first deep scaling/planing without NO, which was a minor miracle.

I have found that for the most part the dentists are gentle and thorough. For good x-rays you might, however, need to go to the 'big city' for better equipment. Still, the prices are incredibly low for the level of treatment you receive.

We also had one rather negative experience in a big expat town where the dentist seemed to be more interested in lining her pockets vs providing necessary treatment. Friends bragged about how much they had saved with her. Translation: they spent $10,000US. Yes, that would cost a lot more elsewhere, but those are big red flags. She wanted to redo all of my bridgework and basically completely adjust my bite/alignment. I declined. But greedy dentists are probably more rare in Mexico than the U.S.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I had a bone transplant as a result of an abscessed tooth infecting my jaw. Combined artificial and cadaver replacement bone. It was complex and required substantial drilling of the bone: 5000 pesos. Still on antibiotics and swelling mostly gone after 6 days. Followup visit scheduled in one week.

This is a gringo-oriented dentist in downtown PV. A little more pricey than the border operations I believe.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I had a bone transplant as a result of an abscessed tooth infecting my jaw. Combined artificial and cadaver replacement bone. It was complex and required substantial drilling of the bone: 5000 pesos. Still on antibiotics and swelling mostly gone after 6 days. Followup visit scheduled in one week.

This is a gringo-oriented dentist in downtown PV. A little more pricey than the border operations I believe.
Seems like a great deal at $289!

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:02 PM   #29

This guy got a real deal on some Mexican dental work !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jaws.jpg (37.9 KB, 83 views)
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote