Join Early Retirement Today

Details on Out Of Pocket Max
Old 10-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Details on Out Of Pocket Max

When you are 200% of poverty level, you have an adjusted Maximum Out of Pocket Cost (in addition to reduced premium subsidy). From what I have picked up, in order for this to take place, it only applies if you purchase the 2nd lowest cost Silver Plan.

Is this correct? Does anyone have any reference to explain in detail how this aspect of lower Out Of Pocket criteria works?
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
When you are 200% of poverty level, you have an adjusted Maximum Out of Pocket Cost (in addition to reduced premium subsidy). From what I have picked up, in order for this to take place, it only applies if you purchase the 2nd lowest cost Silver Plan.

Is this correct? Does anyone have any reference to explain in detail how this aspect of lower Out Of Pocket criteria works?
See the section beginning on page 13 http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R41137.pdf
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I have read the section beginning on page 13 many times and it may as we'll be written in Swahili. Don't understand a bit of it. Can someone explain in regular words?
Buck2520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck2520 View Post
I have read the section beginning on page 13 many times and it may as we'll be written in Swahili. Don't understand a bit of it. Can someone explain in regular words?
Here is the language from the reg:
Quote:
In order to be eligible for cost-sharing subsidies, an individual must be enrolled in a silver plan, so that coverage will already have an AV of 70%.
Your tax credit subsidy is based on the 2nd least expensive Silver plan, but the cost-sharing subsidy only requires any Silver plan, which is what I am seeing on healthcare.gov. For the silver plans that I am looking at, the max OOP is $4233 (under 200% FPL) for family coverage.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post

Not quite, you have to be enrolled in a silver plan for the cost sharing subsidy and below 250% FPL. The 2nd lowest cost silver plan is what is used to base your premium subsidy on.

The Kaiser calculator will show what the reduce cost sharing subsidy is ( something less than 6350 ) for OOP max.

Here is a kaiser article on cost sharing In Addition To Premium Credits, Health Law Offers Some Consumers Help Paying Deductibles And Co-Pays - Kaiser Health News
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #6

I was hoping to be able to choose a silver plan with the cost sharing. The only options for that when I'm browsing plans is for an HMO with very few providers in our area. The one for our current insurance carrier is not showing an option for a cost sharing plan even though it was listed on other sites. I'd like to get more info on providers but the links to the pages don't work.

The site workability still isn't perfect or close to it, but better than before.

Came back to correct this -

I found the silver plan with the cost sharing from our current carrier. It's much more expensive than I expected. Our 2nd lowest cost silver is $250/mo after subsidy and this one is $410/mo but with the lower deductible and max out of pocket.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz View Post
... For the silver plans that I am looking at, the max OOP is $4233 (under 200% FPL) for family coverage.
But if income (MAGI) is 201% FPL that OOP max jumps to $10,400. Another Cliff of Obamacare
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
But if income (MAGI) is 201% FPL that OOP max jumps to $10,400. Another Cliff of Obamacare
That sucks and that's why I managed my MAGI to be under 200%. My income comes from dividends, capital gains, and Roth conversions. I have no pensions. I used Turbo tax last year to figure out how much I can Roth convert at the end of the year and made sure my income was under 200% and over 133% (no Medicaid expansion in FL). Based on my initial browsing, DW and I will save about $550 a month and have a much better plan.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz View Post
That sucks and that's why I managed my MAGI to be under 200%. My income comes from dividends, capital gains, and Roth conversions. I have no pensions. I used Turbo tax last year to figure out how much I can Roth convert at the end of the year and made sure my income was under 200% and over 133% (no Medicaid expansion in FL). Based on my initial browsing, DW and I will save about $550 a month and have a much better plan.
Tomz,

Here in Pa, which, like Fl, is not expanding Medicaid, my income can be as low as 100 % FPL ($11,490) and I can participate in the exchange (federal, not state) and get a subsidy. That's according to Healthcare.gov.

Not the same in FL ?
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Tomz,

Here in Pa, which, like Fl, is not expanding Medicaid, my income can be as low as 100 % FPL ($11,490) and I can participate in the exchange (federal, not state) and get a subsidy. That's according to Healthcare.gov.

Not the same in FL ?
You are correct. This was one of the screwed up things in the bill. If the Supreme Court wouldn't have made Medicaid expansion optional, this wouldn't have mattered.
Quote:
The Medicaid expansion was supposed to cover everyone below 138 percent of the federal poverty level, while the tax subsides were intended to cover everyone above that. A manager’s amendment reworked much of the ACA’s language, incorporating changes to nearly every section of the bill from the floor debate and accompanying backroom negotiations. That’s the bill that was passed by the Senate on Dec. 24, 2009.
But the tax subsidy threshold was never revised from 100 to 138 percent after the Bridge Policy had been removed, as it logically should have been. That was an unintentional oversight, said sources who spoke with Governing. How did they miss it while the bill was being rewritten? It appears to be as simple as this: The Bridge Policy and the tax subsidy section of the Senate Finance bill are separated by more than 100 pages. When one section was changed, nobody remembered to check the other.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Between 201% - 300% of the FPL the max OOP for a family is $6350 according to the CRS brief.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Between 201% - 300% of the FPL the max OOP for a family is $6350 according to the CRS brief.
Which is why we will be sure to stat at 19X% FPL next year.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
So Kaiser article above got it wrong then?

"But people who qualify for cost-sharing subsidies will see their maximum out-of-pocket spending capped at $2,250 or $4,500 for single or family coverage, respectively, if their incomes are less than 200 percent of the poverty level, and $5,200 or $10,400 if their incomes are between 200 and 250 percent of poverty."

In Addition To Premium Credits, Health Law Offers Some Consumers Help Paying Deductibles And Co-Pays - Kaiser Health News
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote