Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-30-2019, 09:40 AM   #41
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
I just don't think the current flu vaccine is a vaccine worth getting (for me, anyway......YMMV).
Interesting opinion. Why not worth getting?

Because of the cost?
Because of the potential side effects?
Because of the time it takes?
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2019, 12:31 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post

Because of the cost?
I've always got the flu shot. Never had a problem with it other than slight tenderness at the injection site. It's free and so easy to get at so many locations. While it may not prevent you from getting the flu in every case, the odds are good that even if you do get the flu, it won't be full-blown. And really, isn't that the main thing i.e. to reduce the severity of the flu which can be deadly to older folks. A CDC study concluded https://www.cdc.gov/flu/spotlights/2...re-illness.htm :
  • Flu vaccination among adults reduced the risk of being admitted to the hospital with flu and placed in a general ward bed by 37 percent.
  • Flu vaccination was even more effective in preventing the most severe forms of flu and reduced the risk of being admitted to an ICU with flu by 82 percent.
  • Among adults who were admitted to the hospital with flu, vaccinated adults were 59 percent less likely to have very severe illness resulting in ICU admission than those who had not been vaccinated.
  • Among adults in the ICU with flu, vaccinated patients on average spent 4 fewer days in the hospital than those who were not vaccinated previously.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:42 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DH and I always get the flu shot. But I wish they could figure out a way for the shot to match the flu strain better. DH got a terrible case of the flu last year (had the shot but got the flu anyway). He had to be hospitalized and has some permanent loss of hearing caused by the flu. I caught the flu from DH (I had the flu shot too). I was not as sick as DH, did not have to be hospitalized but I was very sick for a month. Come on scientists figure out a better flu vaccine!
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:57 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Got a shot on Saturday and had sore arm at injection spot for a day, otherwise, A-OK.
Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:00 PM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
But I wish they could figure out a way for the shot to match the flu strain better.
Yup, that's a big problem when there are multiple strong strains coming around. Tough problem, not yet solved.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:14 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I had a flu shot two weeks ago with no reaction. I’m prone to bronchitis and pneumonia, so I always get vaccinations that may help.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:49 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

We had no reaction other than the knot in the muscle at the injection site. Gone in 2 days.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:57 PM   #48

Quote:

Because of the cost?
For anyone with insurance it is free. It takes maybe 15min out of a day to potentially save you days of discomfort. If you don’t get it, for no specific reason, it means you have a distorted view of the “ no good reason/ benefit ratio”. Its one of those “you think you are right til you aren’t” decisions. Boosting your immunity other ways is nonsense. Unless you are a bubble boy, in which case, then it makes sense. Severity reduction alone is worth the 15 min.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:11 AM   #49
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
For anyone with insurance it is free. It takes maybe 15min out of a day to potentially save you days of discomfort. If you don’t get it, for no specific reason, it means you have a distorted view of the “ no good reason/ benefit ratio”. Its one of those “you think you are right til you aren’t” decisions. Boosting your immunity other ways is nonsense. Unless you are a bubble boy, in which case, then it makes sense. Severity reduction alone is worth the 15 min.
I agree. That's why I was hoping RAE would shed some light on the decision.

Some folks are just afraid of needles.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:36 AM   #50

No reaction at all this year...not even a sore arm, which I almost always get. That makes me wonder if it is provoking any immune reaction at all. But I did my part to protect myself...and here is the part those who do not get the flu shot seem to forget:
TO PROTECT OTHERS AS WELL!

When we reduce the chance of the flu infecting us - even by just 50%- we reduce the chance of us spreading the flu to others. Other people might die because YOU decided it wasn't "worth it to you". Some people -very young children, or elderly folks, or people on chemotherapy, will almost certainly die because they were exposed to flu virus that they might not otherwise have been exposed to if more people got vaccinated.

No man is an island. The decisions we make affect others.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Next year I'll know better
Old 10-02-2019, 06:42 AM   #51

Next year I'll know better

I took the flu shot and the next day the stock market got sick. The shot may have been "free", but it cost my 401k $30k. Ouch!
Old 10-02-2019, 07:05 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Got mine yesterday, 3rd year in a row. No after effects, not even a sore arm. I ran 4 miles immediately after getting it.

I used to not get one for a few reasons.

- My dad, who never gets sick, got one back in the early 70s and got the flu. I think they may have been using a more potent live virus in the vaccine back then?

- The swine flu vaccine sickness/deaths of 1976. I can still remember hearing discussions like "You getting the vaccine?" "Hell no!" "Me neither."

- By the time the flu vaccine seemed more widely accepted this century, I was working from home and didn't feel too exposed to catching the flu, so I decided not to bother.

I finally decided the vaccine seemed safe enough and reduces my chance of getting the flu or at least reduces the symptoms. I actually did get the flu the first year I got the vaccine, but it wasn't too bad. A couple days of bad chills.

So I can understand why some are still reluctant. It's an education issue, and also a mistrust that "they" are being truthful or that later they won't be proven to be wrong. But for myself, I am now convinced to get them.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:31 PM   #53

Got mine today at the county public heath department...no problems so far.

Since I'm over 50 they gave me Flublok Quadrivalent:

https://www.proteinsciences.com/PDF/pscp1.pdf
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #54

Getting mine this week, as soon as I recover from the horrid cold that one of the kids brought home. Yes they're not 100% effective, but if I can avoid the flu 50% of the time, and more importantly, avoid passing it to a young child or someone who is immunocompromised, it's worth it.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:16 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Got mine 2 weeks ago. No reaction at all this year...not even a sore arm. Seeing grandkids this weekend and wanted to be "protected". I work in healthcare so I've been getting it for decades.
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:25 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Well vaccines make you autistic...

RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #57

OK, just got mine earlier this week, and I can say I had no symptoms, as has been the case nearly every year for me, and I only felt mild soreness if I actually poked at the injection site.

The infection control nurse said it was a quadrivalent vaccine.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:59 PM   #58

Quote:

Because of the cost?

Cost has nothing to do with it, nor does the time it would take to get one. My opinion is based mostly on the ineffectiveness of the vaccine, combined with potential negative side effects. When you look at the absolute risk of getting the flu for those who get the flu shot, versus those who don't, the difference is minimal. Lots of folks like to quote the effectiveness of the flu shot in terms of relative risk, but that can be very misleading when you look at absolute risk.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:05 PM   #59

Quote:
Yup, that's a big problem when there are multiple strong strains coming around. Tough problem, not yet solved.

And it won't be solved until they come up with a different way to produce the vaccine. The current method of using eggs has not worked well at all, as even the researchers now admit. People are fooling themselves if they think they are well protected against the flu with the current vaccine.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:33 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I have been getting flu shots for 5 years now, no side effects. Planning to get this years sometime in the next two weeks.
Dalmore is offline   Reply With Quote