Did the flu shot in 2019 make you sick?

Next year I'll know better

I took the flu shot and the next day the stock market got sick. The shot may have been "free", but it cost my 401k $30k. Ouch!

Got mine yesterday, 3rd year in a row. No after effects, not even a sore arm. I ran 4 miles immediately after getting it.

I used to not get one for a few reasons.

- My dad, who never gets sick, got one back in the early 70s and got the flu. I think they may have been using a more potent live virus in the vaccine back then?

- The swine flu vaccine sickness/deaths of 1976. I can still remember hearing discussions like "You getting the vaccine?" "Hell no!" "Me neither."

- By the time the flu vaccine seemed more widely accepted this century, I was working from home and didn't feel too exposed to catching the flu, so I decided not to bother.

I finally decided the vaccine seemed safe enough and reduces my chance of getting the flu or at least reduces the symptoms. I actually did get the flu the first year I got the vaccine, but it wasn't too bad. A couple days of bad chills.

So I can understand why some are still reluctant. It's an education issue, and also a mistrust that "they" are being truthful or that later they won't be proven to be wrong. But for myself, I am now convinced to get them.

Getting mine this week, as soon as I recover from the horrid cold that one of the kids brought home. :( Yes they're not 100% effective, but if I can avoid the flu 50% of the time, and more importantly, avoid passing it to a young child or someone who is immunocompromised, it's worth it.

Got mine 2 weeks ago. No reaction at all this year...not even a sore arm. Seeing grandkids this weekend and wanted to be "protected". I work in healthcare so I've been getting it for decades.

Well vaccines make you autistic...

:2funny:

OK, just got mine earlier this week, and I can say I had no symptoms, as has been the case nearly every year for me, and I only felt mild soreness if I actually poked at the injection site.

The infection control nurse said it was a quadrivalent vaccine.

Interesting opinion. Why not worth getting?

Because of the cost?
Because of the potential side effects?
Because of the time it takes?

Cost has nothing to do with it, nor does the time it would take to get one. My opinion is based mostly on the ineffectiveness of the vaccine, combined with potential negative side effects. When you look at the absolute risk of getting the flu for those who get the flu shot, versus those who don't, the difference is minimal. Lots of folks like to quote the effectiveness of the flu shot in terms of relative risk, but that can be very misleading when you look at absolute risk.

Yup, that's a big problem when there are multiple strong strains coming around. Tough problem, not yet solved.

And it won't be solved until they come up with a different way to produce the vaccine. The current method of using eggs has not worked well at all, as even the researchers now admit. People are fooling themselves if they think they are well protected against the flu with the current vaccine.

DW and I have been getting flu shots for 5 years now, no side effects. Planning to get this years sometime in the next two weeks.

We both had both the flu shot and Shrigrix vaccine a week ago. Seems like I had some body aches that I thought were associated with the flu shot. They were gone 48 hours later. Shrigrix felt like someone beat my arm with a bat for four days. Still better than shingles.

I also had the flu shot and the first shot of the shingles vaccine on the same day and felt flu-y the next day. I've never had a reaction to a flu shot, but they warned me the shingles vaccine could make me feel under the weather for a day or two.

The adverse effects of the Shingrix shot commonly include flu like systems, i.e. chills, fever, muscle aches, lethargy, headache, etc. IF you get those adverse reactions, they usually only last a day or so. They could come with the first shot, or the second, or with neither or with both shots. Its a crap shoot. Personally I only had a sore-ish arm for up to 4 days with both shots and no other problems.

Typically besides the sore arm (for both Shingrix and Flu shots) the flu might give you a slight fever <100* a day or so after the shot. This year I did not get sick nor did I have a sore arm.

I friend of mine was paralyzed and hospitalized for 4 months and spent a year learning to walk again as a result of a flu shot. Guillian-barre syndrome. There are risks.

I friend of mine was paralyzed and hospitalized for 4 months and spent a year learning to walk again as a result of a flu shot. Guillian-barre syndrome. There are risks.

I had no idea of this trigger until mentioned above.

"Some cases may be triggered by the influenza virus and potentially influenza vaccine. An increased incidence of Guillain–Barré syndrome followed influenza immunization that followed the 1976 swine flu outbreak (H1N1 A/NJ/76); 8.8 cases per million recipients developed the complication. Since then, close monitoring of cases attributable to vaccination has demonstrated that influenza itself can induce GBS. Small increases in incidence have been observed in subsequent vaccination campaigns, but not to the same extent.[14] The 2009 flu pandemic vaccine (against pandemic swine flu virus H1N1/PDM09) did not cause a significant increase in cases.[8] It is considered that the benefits of vaccination in preventing influenza outweigh the small risks of GBS after vaccination.[15] In fact, natural influenza infection is a stronger risk factor for the development of GBS than is influenza vaccination and getting the vaccination actually reduces the risk of GBS overall by lowering the risk of catching influenza.[16] Even those who have previously experienced Guillain–Barré syndrome are considered safe to receive the vaccine in the future.[4] Other vaccines, such as those against poliomyelitis, tetanus or measles, have not been associated with a risk of GBS.[9]"

Flu shot and 2nd pneumonia shot - no problems other than sore arm/shoulders the second day

Two years ago we declined getting the flu shot before going to Key West in October . When we came back DW got chills so bad I almost had to carry her through Fort Lauderdale Airport. . I got it too that flu was pure hell . Went to our doctor he said . you got the Avion Flu and gave us antibiotics . This year we got the shot no problems , we have heard that this years flu is going to be bad already showing up in Australia as bad . Get your shots now .

Two years ago we declined getting the flu shot before going to Key West in October . When we came back DW got chills so bad I almost had to carry her through Fort Lauderdale Airport. . I got it too that flu was pure hell . Went to our doctor he said . you got the Avion Flu and gave us antibiotics . This year we got the shot no problems , we have heard that this years flu is going to be bad already showing up in Australia as bad . Get your shots now .

Isnt the Avian flu a virus? Why would they give you antibiotics for a virus? to guard against some other secondary infections?

Yes, I have a close family member who contracted Guillian-Barre syndrome as a result of the flu shot also. Her recovery has taken several years now, and she's still not 100% back to her previous good health. It's relatively rare, but it does happen. Some people can have fairly serious allergic reactions to the flu shot also. Again, this is not common, but with the vaccine effectiveness being as low as it is, potential side effects are worth thinking about, at least for me.

which flu shot are you getting? there are two specifically for those over 65 that are trivalent covering 2 a and 1 b strains but more potent, and the regular shot for others that covers 2 a and 2 b strains but not as potent.

I had the flu shot this month, and only had a sore arm. No side effects at all, other than that...usually, I have a fatigued period, several days after. Nothing like that, this time!

Had our flu shots late September. No side effects except a sore arm the next day.

We both had a flu shot a week ago.

Same as earlier times, never a problem.

DH and I have been getting them every year since a bad flu took us both out for a week a few years ago.

Neither of us have had any symptoms (nor any more flu yet)

Back
Top Bottom