Did the flu shot in 2019 make you sick?

Isnt the Avian flu a virus? Why would they give you antibiotics for a virus? to guard against some other secondary infections?

Maybe they were actually antivirals? Many people wouldn’t know the difference.

Two years ago we declined getting the flu shot before going to Key West in October . Wu hen we came back DW got chills so bad I almost had to carry her through Fort Lauderdale Airport. . I got it too that flu was pure hell . Went to our doctor he said . you got the Avion Flu and gave us antibiotics . This year we got the shot no problems , we have heard that this years flu is going to be bad already showing up in Australia as bad . Get your shots now .

I don't think the seasonal flu shot protects against avian flu.

While I know it's supposed to be perfectly safe to get a flu shot, it did make me sick one year. I think maybe I was already coming down with something, and the shot was too much additional stress for my immune system to handle. It was flu-like symptoms for a day, but bad flu, terrible body aches and vomiting, in bed for a day.

While I know it's supposed to be perfectly safe to get a flu shot, it did make me sick one year. I think maybe I was already coming down with something, and the shot was too much additional stress for my immune system to handle. It was flu-like symptoms for a day, but bad flu, terrible body aches and vomiting, in bed for a day.

I don't thinking sick from the flu shot a day or two is too bad. Last year in Feb. DH and I both got the flu (we had both had the flu shot but it did not protect us from the flu strain we had) DH was so sick he was hospitalized, I thought I was going to lose him and he still has hearing loss caused by the flu. I am very healthy and had a "milder" case of the flu but I was sick for a month. I would never go without the flu shot.

Never have had a flu shot. I don't beleive I will ever have on unless forced too. I see no need for one.

Sore arm, as usual. I make sure I take 1,000 mg for several days after the shot and I no longer have any after-effects (feeling crappy for a day or two).

I take 2 rum & cokes.

I had the over-65/more potent shot a couple of weeks ago, no problems.

I quit getting flu shots about 4-5 years ago, at age 50-51. I had bad reactions or coincidental illness for 1-2 weeks each time I got the shot. Within 1-2 days: fever, chills, extreme nausea (couldn’t keep anything down), body aches, & extreme fatigue. I was hospitalized two years in a row due to the nausea & fever symptoms, but only needed to be hospitalized 2-3 days until I got stabilized. I have not had a cold or influenza or any similar symptoms since I stopped getting the flu shot. I also am avoiding the shingrix shot, although I’m not sure how long the docs will let me get away with that ��

RVplusDog, sounds like you were allergic to something in the flu shot. My mother is allergic to eggs and for along time could not take the flu shot because of the eggs but now she can take the flu shot, something changed about how they made the shot with eggs. Are you allergic to eggs?

... I also am avoiding the shingrix shot, although I’m not sure how long the docs will let me get away with that ��

docs ain’t in charge and can’t force anything in you. that said my wife and i always refuse the flu shots but we saw what the shingles did to a family friend so we had that shot. no bad reaction.

DW and I got our senior shots last Friday. I had no issue, but DW has felt lousy for several days and still has arm soreness.

A few years ago I got a flu shot at my drs recco. I had a reaction to a previous shot and told her so. On her recco I got one and the next day had flu symptoms. Couldn't eat etc,. The next day I ended up collapsing at home and had to have EMR come to get me up. They took me to the ER and found my blood sugar was 35. Under 30 you can go into coma. ER gave me some cookies and sugar solution and I improved enough to go home. I have had diabetes since 2003 and never had low sugar. I never knew if you were sick to try and eat anyway. I may get a shot again in the future, but will not starve myself.

My opinion is based mostly on the ineffectiveness of the vaccine, combined with potential negative side effects.

I've not see any credible evidence that the effectiveness is low enough or the risk of side effects is high enough to justify not bothering to get a flu shot, barring an immunocompromised patient or other unusual health situation.

The CDC estimates that 50,000+ people die from the flu each year.

We each get to decide what we choose to believe I guess.

Last edited:
People are fooling themselves if they think they are well protected against the flu with the current vaccine.

Even moderate protection is better than no protection at all, for most people. People are fooling themselves if they think it is better to wait until the perfect vaccine is developed.

Got mine 3 days ago. Arm was sore for a day but that always happens.

You don't want to flex when getting the flu shot. People think you do, but that actually just inflames the muscle and creates additional soreness.

Or so the lovely nurse told me last year when I did my hulk flex just before she was about to stab me. She said, that flex is good when they are drawing blood...

oops I got the two confused. It happens. I wait until December 1st to get mine. Although I am travelling on a plane and that always makes me nervous...germs germs all around!

Got the flu shot Friday. No soreness, no unusual aches or pains.

short term "flu like" symptoms are not uncommon. You are pumping your body with dead virus so the body is probably reacting as though it is alive. (not a doctor)

DW and I got flu shot last week. No side effects for either of us.

We've gotten the shots every year for 10 years or more and have never had an issue and haven't had the flu during those years.

DM's parents died within days of each other in the 1918 flu epidemic when DM was a child. Although I know that kind of thing in unlikely to repeat, I think I do treat flu more seriously that many.

Years ago when I went with my husband to get his flu shot they tried to talk me into it despite being 6 months pregnant. They tell people to stay away from even aspirin when pregnant so no way I was getting the shot.

I've read so much about the high dose flu shot being recommended for those over 65 that I asked about it when I went for mine yesterday.
I was told that it's only given by a doctor's prescription, which surprised me. Is that the case everywhere?

I've read so much about the high dose flu shot being recommended for those over 65 that I asked about it when I went for mine yesterday.
I was told that it's only given by a doctor's prescription, which surprised me. Is that the case everywhere?
The pharmacist at CVS gave me the high dose shot so what you were told is not the case everywhere.

In North Carolina you do not have to have a prescription to get the high dose BUT my doctor will not give the high dose to anyone, he says there are too many adverse events caused by that shot. I took the high dose when I turned 65 and in a couple of hours ran a high temperature for a couple of days. My doctor told me never to take the high dose again so now I just get the regular shot. DH on the other hand goes to Walgreens every year and gets the high dose and has never had a problem. Of course last year DH caught the flu, had to be hospitalized even though he had the high dose shot.

I went to get my flu shot in Florida and the pharmacist at Publix said that she was giving me the higher dose because I just turned 65. I said that was good news and thanked her. More immunization for the same free price.
No side effects, my arm was not even sore the next day.

Back
Top Bottom