Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Did the flu shot in 2019 make you sick?
Old 09-28-2019, 06:37 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Did the flu shot in 2019 make you sick?

Part of our Italian vacation pre-flight checklist was for DW and I to get the flu shot.

DW got her flu shot at CVS late last week and came down with a sinus infection which is now being treated with antibiotics. We did not make any causal connection at the time.

I got my flu shot early this week and felt crummy the next day and have yet to recover my energy.

Fortunately we both have 2 weeks to work this out before leaving for Europe.

Symptom:
- Congestion, runny nose and coughing
- soreness at injection site for days
- lethargy
- patches of itchy skin

Coincidences?

Has anyone else felt ill following this year's flu shot?
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2019, 06:48 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

No, DW and I both got the flu shot and had no problems.
vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:38 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While some people do experience mild symptoms, this is pretty rare. People often "blame" the flu shot for anything bad they experience within a few weeks of getting the shot, but in most cases that is simply a coincidence.
For example, in your case, getting a sinus infection that responds to antibiotics is definitely a coincidence as antibiotics treat bacterial infections, and flu is a viral pathogen. You cannot get a bacterial infection from exposure to a virus or a viral vaccine. Period.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
While some people do experience mild symptoms, this is pretty rare. People often "blame" the flu shot for anything bad they experience within a few weeks of getting the shot, but in most cases that is simply a coincidence.
For example, in your case, getting a sinus infection that responds to antibiotics is definitely a coincidence as antibiotics treat bacterial infections, and flu is a viral pathogen. You cannot get a bacterial infection from exposure to a virus or a viral vaccine. Period.
But there can still be a connection. There is no direct physical interaction between the virus and the bacteria, but a viral infection can make one or more host cell types more susceptible to bacterial colonization.

As for the OP's question, I get a flu shot every year and had never experienced any side effects, until last year, I did experience some mild flu-like symptoms a day or so after the shot, which was very unusual for me to experience at any time since I'll go years without getting sick. It could be a coincidence, but I've never experienced that since. I won't be getting this year's shot until early Oct. I'll see how it goes.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:25 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We both had both the flu shot and Shrigrix vaccine a week ago. Seems like I had some body aches that I thought were associated with the flu shot. They were gone 48 hours later. Shrigrix felt like someone beat my arm with a bat for four days. Still better than shingles.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:32 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Never had a reaction to a flu shot.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:48 AM   #7

Many years without a problem
Oh, and many years without the flu. Can't say for certain that they are linked.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:48 AM   #8

Same here. Never had a reaction to flu shot other than a sore arm for a day one year.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:14 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

No. The shot gave me no probs.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:45 AM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
DW got her flu shot at CVS late last week and came down with a sinus infection which is now being treated with antibiotics. We did not make any causal connection at the time.

I got my flu shot early this week and felt crummy the next day and have yet to recover my energy.

Fortunately we both have 2 weeks to work this out before leaving for Europe.

Symptom:
- Congestion, runny nose and coughing
- soreness at injection site for days
- lethargy
- patches of itchy skin

Coincidences?
Flu shots don't cause sinus infections. But you can feel soreness at the injection site for a few days.

You might wish to talk to your doctors.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:55 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

A few years ago I got a stiff neck/shoulder on the left side about a week or so after I got a flu shot. It was bad enough I went to see a doctor but there wasn't much they could do about it. Lasted about two more weeks and finally just faded away. No other reactions from flu shots before or after that.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:02 AM   #12

Ditto - never had a problem with flu shot and we get one every year. I do think that the Pneumonia shot/s have been helpful because I have not had bronchitis or a cold since getting over a decade ago (knock wood). The "new" double dose Prevnar 13/23 was not available until a few years ago but a single dose was.
Beststash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Haven’t had this year’s shot yet, but have never had a reaction before.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:24 AM   #14

Got my flu shot this Wednesday. No issues at all, not even a sore arm.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #15

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Well, it appears that DW and I simply came down with a bug right after a flu shot.

Since she was sick first, I am calling her 'patient zero'.

DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:47 AM   #16

I had no reaction to the flu shot this year and I started getting the stronger one last year when I turned 65.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:03 AM   #17

Six years ago a few hours after an intradermal flu shot I experienced muscle aches, chills, hot sweats, nausea, all of the typical flu symptoms over a 2 hour period. I felt fine after they passed just a little tired. Spoke with nurse that gave me the shot and she said it couldn't have happened since the shot consists of dead viruses! Yeah, but it did happen!
Haven't had a problem since then with yearly flu shots.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:15 AM   #18
Administrator

Never normally have a problem but this year I was really bad for 2 days, classic flu symptoms. My wife and I had it on the same day and we were both offered the pneumonia shot at the same time. Since I will be 65 on my next birthday my pneumonia shot was free but her’s would cost £70 so she decided to wait until after her 64th birthday in November. She had zero effects after the flu shot, just the usual sore arm.

ETA
My pneumonia shot was in the other arm and that was sore for a couple days.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:30 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Going on monday for ours, last year I had a very mild reaction ( sore arm, felt achy/feverish for a day--normal possible side effects). But other than that, haven't had a problem with flu vaccines. Do NOT want to get the flu, so we get the shots every year.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:51 PM   #20

I had mine on Monday a.m. and started feeling very fatigued that afternoon, plus my arm hurt. I slept a lot and felt better the next day.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote