Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I bought my wife a used top-of-the-line Precor from a gym several years ago. We don't use it as much as we used to; but for rainy days like today, it's our backup plan.

I've had some cardiac issues, so now I walk daily for my health; however I can actually have a comfortable jog on the low-impact Precor. I think it's cool that the Precor doesn't need to be plugged in and works on your own movement. (That's one thing about it, you need to walk a step or two for it to come on so you can program it.)

Understanding the programs and using them makes a big difference in the Precor exercise routine. On our machine, I especially like the cardio routine that targets a specific pulse rate and adjusts the routine according to the heart rate sensors on the handles. The different terrain routines are also a nice way to get some intervalic exercise.

I usually set my iPad on the machine and watch a Youtube comedy special or listen to music and the time flies by. 30-45 minutes is my typical Precor routine as opposed to my 60 minute walks. It usually starts slowly for me, but I can build up a good sweat after 15-20 minutes.

Depending on the temperature, a fan is a nice accessory; (also a headband and towel, so that I can avoid sweating all over the Precor - yuk). I would also recommend stretching out before using it, and doing a short slow-down routine to complete the exercise rather than stopping quickly.
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

What's an elliptical?

At home I use the 1962 Vitamaster exercise bike that we bought at the Salvation Army for $8... At our own CCRC fitness center, there are about 30 machines, but while I use them, never paid attention to what they're called.

Three years ago, stopped my 15-25 mile biking, for fear of getting hurt. Not good when you're over 80.

Oh!... and by the way.... "Fogey"

Quote:
noun, plural fo. · gies. an excessively conservative or old-fashioned person, especially one who is intellectually dull (usually preceded by old ): The board of directors were old fogies still living in the 19th century.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #23

I have an elliptical at the house. Love it. Good aerobic workout without impact on the joints...
Old 05-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
What's an elliptical?

At home I use the 1962 Vitamaster exercise bike that we bought at the Salvation Army for $8... At our own CCRC fitness center, there are about 30 machines, but while I use them, never paid attention to what they're called.

Three years ago, stopped my 15-25 mile biking, for fear of getting hurt. Not good when you're over 80.

Oh!... and by the way.... "Fogey"
'Fogie': I use it strictly as a term of endearment
tropitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:52 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

It’s all there for you...
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Update
Old 05-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Update

I did 20 minutes on it yesterday for the first time...1.5 miles, then a 3 minute cool down. I noticed two things: Firstly, the unit itself is obviously well-put together and stable. Also, it is very low impact for these nearly 60 y/o bones. My plan is to use it every other day or so...
Thanks to all of you for your comments!
Old 05-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #27

Used for years, as even treadmill walking is murder on my knees. Try to use 6-7 days a week for about an hour in winter That said, I have learned that I need to stretch hamstrings regularly after using as they tend to shorten using the elliptical.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:53 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
You could start out by doing a 5 minute warm up at a level that feels really easy, trying for maybe around 100-120 strides/minute. Then bump up a level or two for 10 or 15 minutes, then back down for a 5 minute cool off. Read up on target heart rates and see where your workouts put you, then adjust as necessary. (I'm assuming your model has a heart-rate monitor.)
I commented on this the other day and said that the strides per minute sounded high for me. Today I was at the gym and did a 36 minute workout on the Life Fitness elliptical. It measures in RPMs, not strides. Do you suppose that 1 RPM = 2 strides? I was averaging about 50 RPMs and about 4 MPH at the level I was working at (8) and was pretty tired at the end. If RPMs and strides are the same thing, there's no way I could ever do 100-120. I glanced at the (younger) people on either side of me. One was a guy who seemed to be averaging about 60 RPMs on a higher level than mine. The woman on the other side was at level 1 and seemed to be between 55-60. That plus what the old fart between them was doing makes me think that maybe some machines measure in strides and others in RPMs? Anybody know?
Old 05-21-2019, 01:41 PM   #29

I love elliptical machines. My gym did away with the combo arm machines and now just lower body (not sure if that rules them out as an elliptical). If I did 45 minutes I felt like a got a perfect workout. Best low impact cardio in my book
Old 05-21-2019, 02:09 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have an octane elliptical at home and prefer it over a precor
Old 05-21-2019, 02:09 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
Best low impact cardio in my book
no stairmaster?

Old 05-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
no stairmaster?

No, Concept 2 Rowing Machine
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:28 PM   #33

I am not an old fogie, but I use either the elliptical or stair master 4 times a week (usually). I like the intervals setting.

It's already HOT where I live. In another month, the air conditioned gym will be the only place to work out without misery.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:53 AM   #34

Elliptical machines are great and you have a nice one. I used one for years at a fitness center until a few surgeries. Now I have a nice home stationary recumbent but would love to have an elliptical too with the push/pull arm feature.
There is also a "bicycle" elliptical called an ElliptiGo that looks fun but pricey.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:51 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I use it regularly at our gym. My 3-4 times a week workouts always include 30 vigorous (or what I call vigorous - HA!) minutes on an elliptical, supplemented with weight training and other exercises. I am looking to get one for the house, but in my current "don't add stuff unless you remove equivalent stuff" mindset, I need to clear out a few other things first.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:28 AM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Elliptical machines are great and you have a nice one. I used one for years at a fitness center until a few surgeries. Now I have a nice home stationary recumbent but would love to have an elliptical too with the push/pull arm feature.
There is also a "bicycle" elliptical called an ElliptiGo that looks fun but pricey.
That is very cool!!
Old 05-27-2019, 09:31 AM   #37
Dryer sheet aficionado

Update on my elliptical exercise progress:

I am now, after about a week, deciding to use it every day for 35-40 minutes. Seems about right to me.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:43 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

We have a Weslo elliptical that I got for $40 at a garage sale ten years ago.

I use it for three LONG minutes to warm up for Bowflexing once a week.

"That's not long enough!"

I know, but I've never pulled a muscle when Bowflexing.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:24 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
It's already HOT where I live. In another month, the air conditioned gym will be the only place to work out without misery.
That’s my deal. Summer sends me indoors.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:52 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Ellipticals are great, but like other posters said - start slow. You won't realize how hard you are going at it on one of those until you go to get off and find you have rubber for legs. Most people find that the best use for them is hanging laundry from.... But if you use it, great exercise.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote