Do the ACA premiums stay fixed throughout the year?

Beldar

Full time employment: Posting here.
My target ER date is June of this year. Right now, I'm trying to get a handle on ACA plans and premiums based on my projected MAGI for 2015, which I will try to keep below the "Silver" OOP threshold. I won't actually sign up for a plan until my employee benefits run out one month after I leave the firm.

Are the premiums I locate today on the ACA Marketplace stable for the entire year, or, do they fluctuate? I presume once you sign up that they remain fixed for the calendar year, but do the providers adjust them through the year for new enrollees?

I see no confirmation either way while digging through the exchange.

Thanks.

_B

They are fixed for the year unless you move out of your zone. There is no guarantee what next year's premium will be.

Thanks, thats one more item checked off the list!

_B

One thing to keep in mind is that the cost sharing which dictates the deductables and MaxOOP is set when you apply to the marketplace. If you estimate income higher than eventual reality, your cost sharing will not be as good as it could have been. If you happen to have estimated your income too low, you won't be penalized for the miss. The tax credit is adjusted the following year, but the cost sharing stays the way you guessed it when you signed up.

Back
Top Bottom