Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Soylent Green.
Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!

That was a meme in college for our fraternity. Every meal was Soylent Green. LOL

Living in Oregon with Assisted Suicide as an option is helpful. My FIL died last week Congestive Heart Failure. Before Hospice got involved he was begging for "the pill". It was heartbreaking. He lasted about 10 days on hospice. And they were very helpful and empathetic.

My little brother has brain cancer. It has been about 4 months since Dx and surgery to remove a tumor. He was doing pretty good but I think he has regressed last week. I'm going to suggest Assisted Suicide for him. I don't know what the end stages of Glioblastoma are like. He is pretty pragmatic but I have no idea if he will do it. At a minimum I'm going to strongly suggest Hospice

Mom & Dad are both in memory care. But AS is not an option for Alzeimers. So they will just linger on.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
I'm going to suggest Assisted Suicide for him. I don't know what the end stages of Glioblastoma are like. He is pretty pragmatic but I have no idea if he will do it. At a minimum I'm going to strongly suggest Hospice

Mom & Dad are both in memory care. But AS is not an option for Alzeimers. So they will just linger on.
DW has been reading these threads and, (as she watches her own parents begin to deteriorate), it saddens her; it must be heart wrenching for you....our condolences.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 10-09-2017, 10:38 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The husband of a friend committed suicide with a pistol as he had been diagnosed with dementia which was progressing. My take is that is that he made decision to kill himself before he become incapable of doing so.

My friend was prepared to care for him so his actions stunned her.

Oregon's assisted suicide law won't help you if you are incompetent, and you must take those medications yourself.

If I met the law's requirements I would do that. If I were incompetent I do not want treatment for serious illnesses that would prolong my life.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
DW has been reading these threads and, (as she watches her own parents begin to deteriorate), it saddens her; it must be heart wrenching for you....our condolences.
Thank you. I'm just gearing for a very hard year
Old 10-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #85
Dryer sheet aficionado

I think there is a difference between assisted suicide and respecting end of life wishes. As a nurse ive seen instances where DNRs should not have been rescinded but end of life emotions flood and its sometimes hard for family to respect that persons wishes. I have also taken care of many patients bodies on ventilations and tube feedings and some were deemed brain dead and still took family a while to decide to take them off the vent, others it was a temporary necessity to give their lungs a break and they came back full force. I have also been in a position where the patient was downgraded for end of life care from icu to the unit. Usually they get transferred to a hospice unit but that day, he was my patient. The whole family was in the room emotions ran high. He was on a bipap gasping for air the orders were for morphine. I gave the initial dose. Then the pulmonologist ordered a dose of that I would not be comfortable giving any living person under my care with the knowledge of the suppression of breathing. I was young and discussed it with the charge nurse. She took over went and gave the remaining iv morphine orders. He did die but I didn't assist. I say no. Even if the persons mental faculities aren't 100 percent there I respect the value of the life. Everyone has an end of life time. It is not always plesant or pretty. I feel like there are health care provisions in place that could lessen pain at the end stages and you still get to "die with dignity". Do i want to artificially prolong my life?- No Do I want to use artificial means to end my life?- No
Old 10-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
The husband of a friend committed suicide with a pistol as he had been diagnosed with dementia which was progressing. My take is that is that he made decision to kill himself before he become incapable of doing so.

Oregon's assisted suicide law won't help you if you are incompetent, and you must take those medications yourself.
This is definitely an option and suicide is in the top 4 leading causes of death in the age 10 to 54 range and is number 2 for ages 10 to 34 according to the CDC. The majority of these are by firearm. It seems that many people will chose their own path despite what religious and political leaders say. This is not at all new. The suicide losses at these young ages indicate that we should be doing much better in attending to people's mental health at all ages.

Laws in Canada must be similar to Oregon as if you are not competent you will not be able to qualify. This is an area of ongoing discussion obviously as it seems that what people fear most is having severe dementia and being a needless yet heavy burden.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #87
gone traveling

Yes
Old 10-09-2017, 03:46 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Way too messy. And if done in a home, it could make it a problem selling it. In some states, any death must be disclosed.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 10-09-2017, 04:06 PM   #89

If I ever decided to sidestep a painful and protracted passage and didn't have access to the proper drugs, I'd look into CO2. Perhaps dry ice in a small, enclosed area would do the trick neatly? Might preserve me a little better until I'm found, too.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #90

Thanks for the interesting discussion.

Closed Thread