Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-06-2019, 03:54 PM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Keep taking the vitamins. Leave the Doc - and don't forget the cannolis ..
LOL! From one of my favorite movie lines of all time!

Just one nit - the singular is cannolo, the plural is cannoli. “Leave the Gun, Take the Cannoli.”
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I believe some vitamins/supplements can be of some use. But I really want my GP to be well-rounded, evidence/science based, and not believe that every malady can be addressed by a supplement (conveniently on sale in the lobby). I'd find another doc pronto, one who is less "invested" in a single approach to achieving good health.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:58 PM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Just wondering out loud what would be the best Multi Vitamin to take for the over 50 crowd as there are tons of them on the market? a
If you have a vitamin deficiency and your doctor prescribes a vitamin to cure it, take that vitamin.

Multi Vitamins are a waste, unless you wish to produce enriched urine for some reason.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:03 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quoting the OP:

I already posted that I only take D. But you have me wondering also. Others say take a multi and have expressed success.

Just wondering out loud what would be the best Multi Vitamin to take for the over 50 crowd as there are tons of them on the market? a
As far as I can tell, they are all about the same. I take one--because humans have very complex nutritional requirements, I have no idea if I'm checking all the boxes, and it is cheap insurance. I wouldn't pay more a nice label/expensive marketing. I do recall reading some good papers that most men and post-menopausal women do not require much/any additional iron from supplements, and that excess iron is not good for heart health. So, I buy vitamins for oldsters, since those pills usually lack iron.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:06 PM   #25

For your D situation, you had a blood test that led her to recommend the supplement... fair enough.

For the "now try these too!" is there a similar blood test deficiency? Unless yes, I would pack up now and find another doctor.

It's not whether vitamins are a good idea, it's whether you want a doc who's trying to sell you stuff or not (me.... not)
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:06 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
As far as I can tell, they are all about the same. I take one--because humans have very complex nutritional requirements, I have no idea if I'm checking all the boxes, and it is cheap insurance. I wouldn't pay more a nice label/expensive marketing. I do recall reading some good papers that most men and post-menopausal women do not require much/any additional iron from supplements, and that excess iron is not good for heart health. So, I buy vitamins for oldsters, since those pills usually lack iron.
That's a good summary. I have seen the same about the lack of need for iron.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:38 PM   #27

Quote:
That's a good summary. I have seen the same about the lack of need for iron.
But, but, but... What about Gertitol, advertised on the Lawrence Welk show? Wasn't that supposed to cure iron-poor blood?

And now they're saying it isn't necessary?

Say it ain't so!
Old 03-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
But, but, but... What about Gertitol, advertised on the Lawrence Welk show? Wasn't that supposed to cure iron-poor blood?

Say it ain't so!
Yeah, and eggs and bacon are bad for you too! And butter.....
Old 03-06-2019, 05:15 PM   #29
gone traveling

I take fish oil, D and magnesium all purchased from Costco and have USP certs.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife takes Theragram-M and calcium. I was getting very bad sinus headaches and someone recommended cold liver oil capsules. I started taking three a day, and it did indeed reduce the number of sinus headaches I got. But, be careful, you can take too much cod liver oil as it is high in vitamins a and d.
LXEX55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:35 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Keep taking the vitamins. Leave the Doc - and don't forget the cannolis ..

Excellent!
Old 03-06-2019, 06:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
For your D situation, you had a blood test that led her to recommend the supplement... fair enough.

For the "now try these too!" is there a similar blood test deficiency? Unless yes, I would pack up now and find another doctor.

It's not whether vitamins are a good idea, it's whether you want a doc who's trying to sell you stuff or not (me.... not)
My Dr. does extensive lab work. I get copies of everything sent to me by the lab. I look up each of the tests and monitor my progress. I went from being a wreck to being in pretty good shape as far as my blood work goes. It’s interesting to see the numbers change for visit to visit. Healthcare is like a lot of things, you need to be actively involved in your car and learn enough to be able to make good decisions with your Dr. No one knows you like you know you.

I would agree, if you’re just being offered a standard regimen of supplements, that’s a red flag. DW and I do have a lot of overlap, but we definitely take different supplements and for those that are the same, the doses are different.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:58 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I do my Centrum Silver every day.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:02 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Say it ain't so!

Contrary to popular belief, most adults actually have too much iron in their stystems, not a lack of iron. That is because the human body has no real mechanism to get rid of excess iron, other than blood loss, so iron tends to accumulate over time in your organs and blood. I found out the hard way what too much iron could do to a person..........I had all sorts of weird (and pretty serious) symptoms for about a year, until I figured out that excess iron (or "iron overload") was the problem. Once I started donating blood a few times each year, the problems disappeared. There are several blood tests you can have run to check on how much iron is in your symptom, but the serum ferritin test is the one to start with. It is not a costly test, and very important in my opinion, as excessive iron can lead to all sorts of problems, including cancer, liver disease, heart disease, etc.. Here is some information on iron overload: Iron Disorders Institute:: Iron Overload

I would definitely NOT recommend taking any multi-vitamin that contained iron, unless you first have a blood test for ferritin and serum iron, which shows that your iron levels are too low.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #35

DH was recently diagnosed with Hemachromatosis (iron overload). We had recently switched docs due to our ACA plan. Our new doc took a more proactive approach to a "high" on standard blood test, whereas our prior doc had always been more..."eh...that's a bit high but you have no other symptoms so we'll just keep an eye on that."

Good thing she was more insistent and more thorough, sent him to a hematologist and yup the ferritin test confirmed everything. DH will now be going to donate blood at least once a quarter, and should be fine from that, and of course will now monitor and avoid things like multi-vitamins.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:21 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation4us View Post
My insurance changed and I picked an MD off the PPO list. Turns out she is a homeopathic GP.

Does anyone here take Vitamins? Believe they help?

What do you take and what "symptoms" does it help?

She was recommending Methyl B and a host of other B Vitamin complexes.
I have more issues with the homeopathy than I do with vitamins. I would not go to someone who was homeopathic oriented.

My own doctor does believe in some supplements. He did recommend a brand to me but I chose to use a different one and he was OK with it. I did check Consumer Reports to find a brand that has a record of being tested to provide what is advertised.

I have very low Vitamin D (true deficiency level) and am taking 5000 units daily.

My understanding is that Vitamin B complexes are often recommended. Like I say I have more issue with the homeopathy and the selling of supplements directly than I do with the specific vitamin recommendations.

Lots of people have to have supplementation of Vitamin D because it is hard to get enough from the sun for most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I had an eye doctor pushing eye vitamins, nah. I'm not going to spend a bunch on unproven benefits of supplements.
Not all supplements are unproven. My husband has macular degeneration and the general medication treatment for that is the AREDS2 supplement. It has been studied and it may be a supplement but research has shown benefits from the formulation.

See this FAQ from NIH:

https://nei.nih.gov/areds2/PatientFAQ
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:23 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

homeopathy doesn't work for me ( and vaccines which use the same principle haven't worked so well for me either )

now i have played with vitamins ( and amino acids ) for decades and until recent years i have found careful research and experimentation , such a strategy has been useful and cost effective , but then i have an unusual physiology , so my successes may not work for you .

currently i am on a mixture of prescription medicines that have me on a toxic tightrope ( despite not being treated for cancer or AIDs ).

i suggest you decide what works for you and stay with that

i don't know how the US regulation works , but the Australian medical and pharmacy industries are riddled with conflicts of interest and actual bribery .

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:31 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

I take a multivitamin, 2 B’s, an I, vitamin D drops, and an omega fish oil. Because blood work shows vitamin B and D deficiencies.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:39 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I take vitamin D in the Winter and early Spring because my area has lots of cloudy weather and the amount of solar radiation is very low that time of year. Even then I only take the pill every other day.

Most supplements are not worth much, IMHO. Eating a good balanced diet is the key to good nutrition. That and avoiding the latest fads and not believing anything the media says about the latest studies on alcohol, red meat, eggs, and push-ups.

That said, if a supplement is helping you I would be the last person to tell you not to take it. We are all different.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:45 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been considering adding a multivitamin. In the last six months, I experienced three awful respiratory infections vs. the one or two a year I have known for the past few decades.

It must be old age or vitamin/mineral deficiency, right?

A local natural foods shop owner (Liz) has a great reputation and I plan to visit her place soon for advice.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote