Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

my current medications dictate i avoid alcohol , caffeine , garlic , citric acid , potassium , sodium , certain species of lettuce and cabbage

and that is just the common stuff other folks have had BAD side-effects using , who knows what else is troublesome ( takes years to cause a problem )

alternative medicines ( and two of my prescription medicines ) have 'fillers and caking agents , that cause problems

take care and research carefully

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2019, 09:23 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I recently started taking an old person multi vitamin. Can't say that I feel any different. My PCP doesn't think they do any good unless my blood work shows I'm deficient in something - which I'm not. So, I'm probably wasting about $10 per year.

I asked my cardiologist about taking fish oil pills. He said to not waste my money and eat fish instead.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:46 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

I don't take any regularly. I do take zinc acetate lozenges in the winter months to avoid colds and flu.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:54 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGOTI View Post
I do take zinc acetate lozenges in the winter months to avoid colds and flu.
I've had far better results wearing an asphidity bag. As a side benefit, house guests aren't prone to linger.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:02 PM   #45
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I've had far better results wearing an asphidity bag. As a side benefit, house guests aren't prone to linger.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:58 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

I tested low on D and my doc wrote me a prescription for high dosage D. She did not sell it to me. DH’s doc has recommended saw palmetto and magnesium and fish oil but does NOT sell anything. It’s not the recommendations that are the problem (assuming we trust our docs), it’s the conflict of interest.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:08 PM   #47

I used to take a daily multivitamin but two years ago my PCP said my lab work showed excessive vitamins so I cut back to every other day. Possibly not necessary but PCP said to go ahead with the every other day program. Also take Vitamin D every other day and calcium every day.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:42 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Keep taking the vitamins. Leave the Doc - and don't forget the cannolis ..
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:10 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Interestingly my Vitamin D was almost nonexistent. Supplements have raised my levels. Turns out my sisters and daughter have also been low on Vitamin D.

My MD convinced me to take an epogenectics DNA test. Background, Menopause has hit me hard. Hot flashes going on 2 years and admittedly my mood /attitude can be down right nasty at times. My husband who adores me even says I need a puppy upper sometimes.

I can't take hormones. Not an option medically due to a strong family history of strokes.

So this DNA test I took shows a link to anxiety,depression, and insomnia. MD recommended Methlylated Vitamin B sublingual and oral multi B vitamins. I even discussed the cost of her supplements and asked for alternative options. Her reply was other vitamins weren't "pure" while hers were. Can you say red flag. She also said I would need to stay on supplements forever not just 1 month.

If I will feel better great. Problem solved. I just don't believe the sales side of the equation. This MD is a salesman in my book. I am a nurse and I believe selling a product just isn't right for a qualified good doc. I will find a new MD.

But I am left with issues that can't or I won't treat with pharmaceuticals.
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:03 AM   #50

My PCP has me take D as well. I took glucosamine for years, but stopped a year ago and I can't tell the difference.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:33 AM   #51
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am in the camp that vitamins and supplements are a waste of money. My sister buys all sorts of supplements/vitamins from her chiropractor who seems to have become her health guru. Makes me angry. Many of the supplement/vitamin sales are just multi-level marketing.
Bklyn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:14 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
DH was recently diagnosed with Hemachromatosis (iron overload). We had recently switched docs due to our ACA plan. Our new doc took a more proactive approach to a "high" on standard blood test, whereas our prior doc had always been more..."eh...that's a bit high but you have no other symptoms so we'll just keep an eye on that."

Good thing she was more insistent and more thorough, sent him to a hematologist and yup the ferritin test confirmed everything. DH will now be going to donate blood at least once a quarter, and should be fine from that, and of course will now monitor and avoid things like multi-vitamins.

Yeah, my ferritin level was approaching 500 (can't recall the units now). First two doctors said that could not be the reason for my symptoms, even though all the literature says your ferritin should be below 200, and ideally below 100. Third doctor said he didn't think excess iron was the problem either, but it couldn't hurt to donate blood to get it down a bit. So I started donating blood, and with each donation I felt better. Now I donate blood 3 times per year, and I feel fine.
Beware of the "reference ranges" used for blood tests like ferritin by most doctors/labs. The reference range my first two docs used said anything under 500 was okay, which is crazy. Apparently that is based on ferritin results from all people who get tested.......many of whom are probably not healthy! I dug into the literature on iron overload myself, and that is WAY too high. Japan and most European countries put the upper limit on ferritin at about 200-300. And the researchers who have studied iron overload recommend an ideal ferritin level of around 60-80. If you have a ferritin level of 400 or more and ignore it, you will probably be headed for serious health issues eventually.........cancer, cirrhosis of the liver, diabetes, heart disease are just a few of the things that can result from too much iron in your system.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:42 AM   #53

Because of a family history, I went to a cardiologist a few years ago for a full workup. Heart Scan showed some calcification, so the wakeup call in my early 50's. LDL levels were a bit high, too. Among other things, my Vit D levels were low, so he recommended a dosage level. Also recommended an Omega 3. Came back a couple of months later and the needle had only moved part of the way, so he had my double my dose. After that, my D levels have been spot on. Doc didn't push any brands or try to sell anything; I purchase mine at Costco. I also take a multi + Vit C. Might do nothing, but what the heck. Heart scan shows calcification is increasing at a significantly lower rate from before.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:58 AM   #54

Pretty much nobody with a balanced diet needs extra vitamins unless there is a medical issue such as low vitamin D. Vegans probably ought to take B12.

We evolved to get what we need from our food, like every other species on the planet. Unfortunately we also evolved to love stories.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:43 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
We evolved to get what we need from our food, like every other species on the planet.
Yes. At the same time, sadly, much of the soil where our food is grown has become quite depleted of the minerals we need. That, and the long transportation times for many of our fruits and vegetables to get to market, cuts down on what we actually get (in the way of key nutrients) from the food we eat.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:50 AM   #56

I take one fish oil capsule with dinner, since it reduces my lipids number quite a bit. Also the occasional calcium pill (Tums generic) but that's only due to stomach acid. I get very tired an hour after taking a multivitamin pill, so I don't take them at all.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:54 AM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I take a handful of vitamins and supplements. If I don't I get a sharp pain in the neck from the one who kept me ticking after Vfib till medical professionals arrived.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:57 AM   #58

Just this one

bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:04 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
Pretty much nobody with a balanced diet needs extra vitamins unless there is a medical issue such as low vitamin D. Vegans probably ought to take B12.

We evolved to get what we need from our food, like every other species on the planet. Unfortunately we also evolved to love stories.
+1 Never took vitamins or supplements on a regular basis. Maybe a protein drink after workout when I was younger, vitamin D but not on a regular basis. Blood work, digestion, mood all normal.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:16 AM   #60

With the supplement industry largely unregulated, what are you actually getting in the little bottle?
Labdoor is attempting to answer this need with lab analysis and product rankings. Read the about page for more info.

https://labdoor.com/rankings
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote