Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Do you believe in taking Vitamin?
Old 03-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Do you believe in taking Vitamin?

My insurance changed and I picked an MD off the PPO list. Turns out she is a homeopathic GP.

She ran some lab tests and my Vitamin D level was extremely low despite spending at least 2 hours a day walking in sunny SoCal. She had me take high doses of Vitamin D and now my levels are closer to normal.

She sells all kinds of supplements. TThe first bottle of D was $25.00 from her office. Once it was done I switched to a Costco sold D.

Now she is recommending I take 3 other supplements which I did not purchase cause of the $170/month cost from her office.

I feel there is a conflict of interest when my MD is trying to sell me something.

But, I wonder if the vitamins would help.

Does anyone here take Vitamins? Believe they help?

What do you take and what "symptoms" does it help?

She was recommending Methyl B and a host of other B Vitamin complexes.
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation4us View Post
I feel there is a conflict of interest when my MD is trying to sell me something.
Yep.

Time to find another MD.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I take Vitamin D as it's low. My PCP says that's all I need. I eat a reasonably good diet and get required nutrients from that.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had an eye doctor pushing eye vitamins, nah. I'm not going to spend a bunch on unproven benefits of supplements. I'd take the D if I verified the results. I was misinformed about my T levels twice from my PCP's office. I no longer trust their ability to read and give me the correct answer.

I do take a multivitamin.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I've always taken a multivitamin. May be a waste of time according to some studies. I also started taking a D supplement as it's a tad low.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:46 PM   #6

I take a multivitamin that I buy at the grocery store. I forget what the price is, it's not much, and a bottle lasts a bit over a year. I figure doing that is in the category of "won't hurt, might help".
Old 03-06-2019, 02:53 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like a multi-vitamin but would not like any vitamins sold to me by my doctor. I'd get a new doc.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Get a new doc.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #9
Administrator

Keep taking the vitamins. Leave the Doc - and don't forget the cannolis ..
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #10

My PCP is very anti-supplements. At my annual wellness exam, he always asks what dietary supplements I'm taking and why. The only one he thinks has any value is fish oil, but only because we eat fish only once or twice per week.

I also take glucosamine which reduced my knee pain. PCP says reduced knee pain is more likely due to the 45 pounds I shed around the same time.

I take an over-50 multivitamin plus extra vitamin C. We are low-carb, so don't eat much fruit. I rarely get the common cold. PCP says that reduced common cold is more likely due to retirement and being around people less.

He doesn't think they are harmful and doesn't advise me to stop taking them. But he knows we eat a healthy low-carb diet and my blood work is always good. So he just doesn't see the value. At some point, I might take his advice and quit. But for now, the cost is minimal and I'm happy with my health.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:04 PM   #11

I believe in these. Definitely adds to my overall energy due to B-Complex. And I am low-carb so also miss out on the vitamins from fruit.

https://www.vitacost.com/natures-way...-multi-vitamin

Order 2 for the free shipping and lasts a year as I only take one/day.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #12

No vitamins, no supplements, no problems!
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:06 PM   #13

That was definitely my last visit with this MD.

I needed an endocrinology referral.
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #14

I go to a holistic MD and yes, I take supplements. Yes, I believe they make a huge difference. Yes, the cost of supplements seem expensive. I think DW and I added ours up and it was about $5 per day. So yes, just shy of $2K per year. Here's the thing, it's no exaggeration to say that this Dr. changed my life. I feel way better and so does my wife. Of course, it's more than just the supplements, we eat a lot different than we used to. Basically, no grains or dairy.

When I first met this Dr. I was having all kinds of issues that other doctors had basically said they couldn't find anything wrong. One issue for example seemed to be neurological. Dr. was very frank - he said that what he's prescribing isn't going to cure a neurological issue, but if I do have one, he'll help me get my bodily systems working as well as possible and therefore be able to deal with whatever is going on much better. That made sense to me.

Now, many of the issues I was dealing with are gone and the neurological issue seems to be improving. One example of this is neuropathy. For years, I could not feel my feet. I went to two neurologists and they could not find anything wrong. It was two major workups from two different neurologists a couple years apart. Now, while this may not seem like a big thing to many, I can now actually feel the cold floor beneath my feet (we live on a slab in Michigan). Many other facets of my life and health are improving.

Example two - DW had a significant medical event that included surgery. Holistic Dr. gave DW three rounds of IV vitamin therapy injections and additional supplements. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the Dr.'s and nurses involved in DW's surgery commented in a very excited tone on how well she healed. Seriously, we discussed this with them and they said her healing was very uncommon in a good way.

Of course, now I'm an evangelist. So, don't take my word for it, but I hope you will do something for yourself. Take a chance and go with what the Dr. tells you to do. It's really not that expensive. Keep an open mind and see if you feel better in a year. If not, do whatever (leave, find new Dr. . . .).

As for the cost of supplements, be careful about going to Costco. We do get our vitamin C there, but give the Dr's supplements a try first. Some of them you will be able to find on line (exact same thing) for less money. Others, you'll need to do a little work. DW and I just started (after about 5 years with this Dr.) to search out alternatives to acquire supplements and will probably be able to reduce our supplement bill by 20% and maybe more if we work a bit harder.

Finally, FOOD IS MEDICINE. I take the supplements but I don't have any delusions that the biggest impact was that me and DW eat way different than we used to. I'm no zealot here, but eat real food (not processed). Your Dr. will also likely do tests to see if you're sensitive to certain foods. DW cannot eat dairy. She didn't realize it, but if she has dairy now, there is a direct impact on how she feels the next day. There is no doubt that this was causing her problems that she did not link to dairy.

Good luck. PM me if you want to discuss further.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:18 PM   #15

I would not be as quick as others to ditch the Doc. But, I would get my vitamins elsewhere. There is conflict of interest in a lot of industries including medicine. I like what I see about the functional medicine model, trying to identify and prevent/stop problems on the front end. In this case, I would not throw the baby out with the bath water until I at least had more information.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:36 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The first bottle of D was $25.00 from her office.
Whew!!! Pretty pricey.

Quote:
I agree.
Quote:

I take a Centrum multivitamin every day but I don't have any logical reason for doing so except that I am on a weight loss diet so I am being cautious. I don't think it helps with any symptoms or is necessary. Personally I think that eating a good balance of nutritious foods gives me plenty of vitamins.

I also think it is "interesting" that in recent years so many people are getting tested for Vitamin D and coming up deficient for that particular vitamin. I am skeptical about that test, except in cold, polar regions where people do not get exposed to enough sunshine.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:38 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

No >> my Doc said no need for them,when I was taking them. He said just eat right, and you will get everything you need.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:45 PM   #18

Quote:
The first bottle of D was $25.00 from her office.
That may not be too bad. A bottle of D that me a DW use lasts a few months. Together we take about 6 drops per day.

Quote:
Now she is recommending I take 3 other supplements which I did not purchase cause of the $170/month cost from her office.
That does seem high. What are the three supplements? Are you sure the $170 would only last one month? And, will it be continual or are any of those a one time use?

Quote:
She was recommending Methyl B and a host of other B Vitamin complexes.
DW and I both take B12 injections. I take them as I was B12 deficient when I went to the first neurological work up and B12 is essential for nerve function. For DW, it makes a big difference in preventing her from getting muscle cramps.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:50 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quoting the OP:

Quote:

I already posted that I only take D. But you have me wondering also. Others say take a multi and have expressed success.

Just wondering out loud what would be the best Multi Vitamin to take for the over 50 crowd as there are tons of them on the market? a
Old 03-06-2019, 03:51 PM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
My insurance changed and I picked an MD off the PPO list. Turns out she is a homeopathic GP.

She sells all kinds of supplements.

If it quacks like a quack...
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote