Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-21-2020, 06:56 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As seniors decline due to disease, lack of appetite from taste deterioration, and other factors. they lose weight, By the time a typical overweight adult has dropped to low weight they could be in pretty bad shape. So it is no surprise that slightly overweight seniors do better on average. But intentional weight loss is a different thing. Did her doctor discuss diet, strength training and other factors that could demonstrate that her new low weight is healthy? On average is not an individual diagnosis.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2020, 07:09 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
There is actually quite a bit of data to indicate that elderly people who are slightly overweight live longer than those of normal or underweight.
60 yrs old is not elderly!
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:14 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayDreaming View Post
Rule of thumb: 'Elderly' is anyone older than I am at any given time.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:55 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It’s old enough for dealing with major issues like bone loss, and lower weight women have higher risk of that.

So just tell DW to start strength training/lifting weights if she isn’t already.

The studies apply to those 65 and older.

ETA: it’s also possible that a sudden loss of 10 to 15 pounds alarmed the doctor. Although I believe the Time2 household changed to lower carb eating recently.

Personally, at 60 I’m happy being in the 23s now and not interested in going lower.

If your DW blood pressure dropped with the weight loss (common benefit) I’d say that’s a good reason to not gain more back.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:19 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would try to be at the midpoint of the green BMI section for her height.

Overweight is "normal" now. "Oh you look so thin.."

I would not take this advice. Just my 2 cents.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:24 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

DW, at 5' 1", has 'ballooned' up to 103 lbs - no swimming, (pool closed), but walks, and workouts on our vibration platform.

68 in October, she's still a young person.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:50 AM   #27

Quote:
If you looked at the study I linked to, it involved those over 70.

I know, I know ...

But "old farts" is less PC.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:18 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Well, yeah, who wants to be compared to flatulence? But I don't see anything wrong with "old person." And I'm in the camp that says 60+ is old. How old I am is irrelevant to how I see that. I'm old now, and will be old until I'm dead.

I think we should take back the honest word, "Old," and use it, instead of treating it like an insult to be avoided and concealed. Trying to disguise it with silly euphemisms such as "senior" never works, any more than wrinkle creams do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

But "old farts" is less PC.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What are wrinkle creams?
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:35 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
What are wrinkle creams?
Waste of money - I have wrinkles naturally, why would I spend cash to get more?

Old 04-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I'm 5'5" and weigh around 128-130lbs. I looked up my BMI and it's 21.3 - 21.6. I thought I was slightly heavy, but maybe not...

As many of you, I've heard that being slightly overweight helps with longevity. I was watching Chris Cuomo talk about his experience with COVID-19 and he said he lost 13lbs in 3 days, and when I heard that, I thought to myself I would be OK if I lost 13lbs, but probably not much more than that.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:05 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Like calling an old person a "senior," wrinkle cream is futile attempt to cover up something of which no one should be ashamed.

There's a meme making the rounds which shows a group of appalled-looking 70-something women. The caption is "The moment you're all worrying about The Elderly - and realize you ARE The Elderly."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Waste of money - I have wrinkles naturally, why would I spend cash to get more?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:12 PM   #33

And for women, there's that old expression: At a certain point you have to choose between your ass, and your face.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

I think we should take back the honest word, "Old," and use it, instead of treating it like an insult to be avoided and concealed. Trying to disguise it with silly euphemisms such as "senior" never works, any more than wrinkle creams do.

I agree. When I'm someplace that might offer a "senior" discount I generally ask if they have an "old peoples' discount". The (typically young) clerk normally does a double-take and then we have a chuckle over it. From older clerks I get a knowing glance.

(75 in 2 weeks)
Old 04-21-2020, 12:55 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Last month I was trying to get the heck out of Bolivia. We (4 women from my tour group and I) were booked on the only nonstop from Bolivia to the US and the day after that all flights in and out of Bolivia were shut down. We were in La Paz and the flight took off from Santa Cruz. Left the hotel at 3:30 AM, giant long line at the airport and our guide, bless him, walked up to the "special needs" desk and told them he had 2 women over 80 in the group (true although I was only 67). We waltzed right up to the short line. I was never so happy to play the Old Lady card. (I realized as I got up there that the line was actually for 60+ anyway.)

But... on the OT, yes, I read about Chris Cuomo's weight loss, too, and realized that I'd really be hurting if I developed something that resulted in substantial weight loss. I'm just going to be careful and hope it doesn't happen.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:41 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
My wife (60yrs old) went in for a checkup today. Very healthy, and always has been. She has lost between 10 and 15 lbs recently, deliberately. The doc suggested she shouldn't lose anymore, even said she should gain a few lbs. Her BMI right now is 24.8.

25.0 is considered overweight. I thought this curious.
It doesn't make any sense to me. Unintentional weight loss is of course a concern
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
If your wife is 103lbs, she must be quite short to have a BMI of almost 25.
BMI isn't the be all and end all it used to be anyway, as it doesn't take muscle and other factors properly into account.

She is short, 4'6" tall short, but normally proportioned, she is Asian.
She is a type A, that runs at least 3 miles a day and then does an exercise
video with lots of movement. Then, her yard and garden work begin.
It makes no difference to me whether she gains or loses weight, but no one would look at her and say she is skinny. When we married she was under 90 lbs and not skinny then.

I was the skinny one, as a kid.

Sorry I was slow to respond, we were out of town.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Doctor told my wife to gain weight
Old 04-29-2020, 10:52 PM   #38

Doctor told my wife to gain weight

My doctor gave me this chart, which shows over 65 a bit higher acceptable weight. I am about 24.9 BMI and was told not to lose weight. I have chronic kidney disease and this was my kidney doctor telling me this. He said several studies show that it’s healthier for an over 65 to have a few extra lbs and to have moderate exercise. Sorry for the double post, I can’t get it off.

IMG_9431.jpg
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:00 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
My doctor gave me this chart, which shows over 65 a bit higher acceptable weight. I am about 24.9 BMI and was told not to lose weight. I have chronic kidney disease and this was my kidney doctor telling me this. He said several studies show that it’s healthier for an over 65 to have a few extra lbs and to have moderate exercise. Sorry for the double post, I can’t get it off.

Attachment 34833
It looks like I will have to gain several pounds in the next few years...
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:48 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

So the doctor tells your wife to gain weight.

Did he also tell you how to answer the Question of Terror, "Honey, do these jeans make me look fat?"

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote