Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2020, 12:27 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
My doctor gave me this chart, which shows over 65 a bit higher acceptable weight. I am about 24.9 BMI and was told not to lose weight. I have chronic kidney disease and this was my kidney doctor telling me this. He said several studies show that it’s healthier for an over 65 to have a few extra lbs and to have moderate exercise. Sorry for the double post, I can’t get it off.

Attachment 34833
These are guidelines for when your doctor must address issues to avoid penalty for low quality not really guidelines for what is best. That is why they have the diagnosis codes included.
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2020, 01:21 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, I like being thin. I am not going to put on weight when I reach 65.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetMD21 View Post
These are guidelines for when your doctor must address issues to avoid penalty for low quality not really guidelines for what is best. That is why they have the diagnosis codes included.
What does it mean to avoid penalty for low quality? TIA
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll bet it's got to do with the Dr. being able to document that Protocol has been followed, i.e. Patient has been advised that medical guidelines indicate such-and-such.
Sort of like the way our new doctor gave us both a little talk on diet and exercise, even though we're thin. It's just something that has to be done with every patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post

What does it mean to avoid penalty for low quality? TIA
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:37 PM   #44

I hope our doctors don't use that chart. We're both well below those BMI's. Any added weight just hangs out front for me, so I'd have to start lifting weights to gain weight reasonably. DW has always been skinny and is not willing to gain weight, except during pregnancies. Never really been an issue so far with our doctors. I can see a little extra weight to add robustness through illnesses, but adding fat just to hit a typical BMI is nuts.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #45

^ You don't necessarily have to add fat.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:50 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I wouldn’t worry about it. I completely agree with you. Sounds like she’s at a perfectly healthy weight. And the BMI certainly doesn’t indicate underweight. Not to mention she’s only about ten pounds more than she was when she was a younger adult. Sounds perfectly normal and healthy.

Ignore that advice. Not to mention it’s hard to maintain a weight loss so she may creep back up again naturally anyway.
Joylush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:50 PM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
^ You don't necessarily have to add fat.
Yes. I bet weight is used becasue it’s easy to measure, but what matters is muscle, and they fear is low weight equates to frailty.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:11 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Medicare quality payment program https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality...ayment-Program
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

Here is a typical study, and you can find many others:
Overweight Older People Live Longer
I think the original studies were in ICU patients, the conclusion being that the extra weight was a depot of nutrition.
An ICU patient is usually too sick to feed themself or even tolerate nutrition put down through a thin tube in the nose. The digestive tract is not optimally functioning, so sometimes feeding needs to happen through an IV. IV is a very not ideal way to get nutrition for a number of different reasons. And the time to get set up for alternative nutrition (IV or tube), takes time too. All of which to say, if you’re elderly, these studies suggest you’re better off having a few pounds of calories packed away on your body in case you end up in an ICU.
On the other hand, younger folks are better off being trim and of ideal weight, to minimize diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.
Can be confusing.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:08 AM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"When do I need to start gaining weight (even though I'd rather not) so I won't die from starvation in the ICU?"

Sounds about like the question that we debate from time to time..."How do I know when I'm just demented enough that I should commit suicide, before I get too demented to know what I'm doing?"

Aging. Sheesh. Bleagh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
All of which to say, if you’re elderly, these studies suggest you’re better off having a few pounds of calories packed away on your body in case you end up in an ICU.
On the other hand, younger folks are better off being trim and of ideal weight, to minimize diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.
Can be confusing.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote