Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-31-2011, 12:14 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

PASTA!

I was shopping for my yogurt which was by the tofu in the frocery store. Then I found an item called Tofu Shirtaki. My store had it available in spaghetti shape and angel hair shape.
It comes in a bag and is made of tofu, water and a tiny bit of yam flour (ground yams).
Nutrition info per serving is:
2 servings per bag
Calories 20
Total fat: .5 grams
Sodium 15mg
Carbs 3 grams
fiber 2 grams
0 of everything else
When you use it, strain and rinse in cold water. Then roll towel dry between paper towel to remove moisture.
I used chicken bones to make stock last night with onion and celery. I cut the angel hair sized noodles inti bite size pices and through it into the stock overnight and placed in the fridge. Added chicken at lunch time and I had chicken noodle soup. Will have spaghetti next week!
They did have a little off smell when I first opened the bag (tofu? -never had it before) but it was fine when rinsed. DELISH and I will definately use these again!
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #62

There's more about these in this thread:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ing-54636.html
Old 05-31-2011, 06:34 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In the past I have recommended Dreamfields pasta. It tastes great. However, a recent study show that is no better than regular pasta (same effect on blood sugar).
Old 06-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #64

Update ~ decided to get on the scale after a day of no dairy (no fat cottage cheese in my case)...I had already eaten 3 scrambled eggs for breakfast and so was not expecting any change again and (in my very best Gomer Pyle voice)~ SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE

Down another 2 pounds....so I may have discovered my personal nemesis....

Talapia is for lunch and another chicken breast for dinner...Goodbye spare tire! (he says with today's added confidence )

To the others trying this eating change with me ~ I'd love to hear how you're doing! Misery loves company
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't been on the forum for a few weeks, this has really taken off!

I started the Dukan Diet on 5/12, so tomorrow will make 3 weeks. I've been pretty religiously following it, and have lost 10.5 lbs, leaving me 3.5 to my goal.

I've done low-carb before and it doesn't bother me at all. Almost all the grocery stores here in E. Washington have either Bob's Red Mill Oat Bran or Oat Bran in the bulk sections. I've found a few ways to eat it that I really like. I'm also loving the 0% fat Fage yogurt and all the ways to use it.

I'm following both the Dukaners forum and the Dukan-Diet.Info forum (which I prefer by a wide margin) and am especially watching people who are in Consolidation. As I said earlier, keeping the lost weight off is what I've always had trouble with, and Dukan's method of consolidating and stabilizing makes sense to me.

Mmm Rrr
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm Rrr View Post
I'm following both the Dukaners forum and the Dukan-Diet.Info forum
Thanks for these sites....I wasn't aware of them!
Old 06-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #67

Glad you guys are making progress and feeling that happy moment when you see another 2-3 lbs of fat gone.

I hit a wall right after starting the prot/veg (Cruise) phase. In Attack Phase, I went from 207 to 191 in just over 2 weeks and lost another 6 in first week of Cruise but am stuck now on 185.

Fantastic feeling, and have about 4 more lbs of fat that I want gone.

Eggbeater and thin deli ham in morning, with oat bran "grits" w/ S&P and fake butter.
Snack on Oscar Mayer thin sliced deli meat with a few jalapenos.
Grilled chicken thigh and some 0% cottage cheese for lunch. Green tea.
Snack of Jacks Peppered beef jerky.
Grilled rib steak only 4 oz of it, for dinner with about 5 stalks of asparagus. Green tea.

I really feel super from an energy and mental outlook perspective.

Nice to see abs again after about a 10 year absence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (549.2 KB, 7 views)
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #68
Dryer sheet wannabe

Mmm Rrr - thanks. I found oat bran in the bulk section of MOM's for $1.59/lb. Much cheaper than Red Mill.

VACollector - weight loss has slowed down for me. I replaced cream with low fat cottage cheese this week. I'll try cutting back on dairy altogether next week.

Zero that looks pretty good!
banister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #69

Here was lunch yesterday and it is based on BizLady's find, Tofu Shirataki. It is pretty tasty stuff. And note my charred beef. I put it directly on the electric burner coils. Tasty.

BTW, I had reached my goal of 183, and still about 3 lbs from the doctor's recommendation but I don't think I am going to lose much more without going back to the Attack Phase again for 6-8 days.

My observation so far is that almost any amount of carbohydrates that I eat is a recipe for regaining weight. Or stopping the weight loss in it's tracks. I'm sold on low-carb as the way to lose weight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (736.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (527.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm still plugging along with Dukan, had my first slip last night at a party, but I really enjoyed myself and I'm back on the wagon this morning.

In 3 1/2 weeks, I've gone from a BMI of 25.2 to 23.2, only have 2.5 more pounds to lose. And I'm feeling really good. The only problem I'm having is a bit of light-headedness when I get up quickly from my knees while I'm gardening. Not exactly a show stopper.

I tried the "non tofu" version of the shirataki noodles last week and really liked them. I was amazed at how many brands the Asian market had... next week I'm going to try the dark ones, with seaweed powder. I think people who look at them as an Italian pasta alternative might be disappointed, but as Asian noodles they're really very good. My DD tasted the stir fry I made and was disappointed that I didn't have enough to share!

Mmm Rrr
Old 06-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #71

Helloooooo.....BizLady? Checking in to share and to see if you're still with us?

Down 9 lbs. in the 1st 2 weeks now (actually 2 weeks tomorrow)....so I'd have to say that this diet/lifestyle change is a success in my book.

I have been unable to come up with the menu selection that you other Dukaners have but the variety of meats ~ turkey, lean hamburger, tilapia and chicken (LOTS of chicken) ~ seem to work for me and I have only rarely been hungry....and when I get the urge for sweets or get just a little hungry, I have found that a cup of coffee with Splenda and non-fat dairy creamer does wonders for me!!

I know that I have a long way to go (another 25+ pounds to reach my (wish)weight), and with my personal experience with other diets, I know that I could fall off of the wagon anytime...but somehow...this time...it seems different.....the rapid weight loss and lack of hunger seem to have helped me focus this time....I mean....if I can pass up those free doughnuts at Krispy Kreme and Dunkin' Doughnuts that they were giving away last week ...I think that I might actually have a REAL chance to reach my goal this time....

For those taking this journey with me ~ please keep posting...the company and encouragement are an integral part of this process for me. Thanks to each of you!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #72

I am still here, but was traveling the last 4 days. Started the diet May 26, and down 7 lbs as of this morning. For 11 days of EASY dieting- I'll take that!

Have to admit falling off the diet just a bit in the last days and missing my walk, and have a challenge tomorrow having to attend a funeral dinner and subsequent luncheon. That said, still hightly motivated and really liking this diet. But I have 23-28 lbs to go before I get to where I think I want to be.

Made a GREAT grilled turkey burger this weekend. Used portabella mushrooms as my bread, and added a tomato slice, lettuce, red onion and dukan mayo. Grilled the mushrooms just slightly. Plenty drippy, but very satisfying.

For those on the diet, let's be sure to post at least once a week to keep each other motivated and to share meal ideas...
Old 06-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #73

Just completed 2 weeks on the diet. Down 8.5 lbs.

How is everyone else doing?
Down 13 lbs.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #74
Dryer sheet wannabe

Down 13 lbs.

Finishing my 4th week this coming Monday. Down 13 lbs. and have 37 more to go. I think I will make it this time!
Bingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

I went to a party last weekend and decided to let myself have 2 glasses of wine, which led to 3 cookies (not small ones!!) But despite that I'm still down a pound for the week and only have another 1.2 lbs to go to reach my goal of 14 lbs off, in 5 weeks. (I had taken off my first 10 lbs cutting calories last year)

So the Consolidation Phase will probably start next week, I can't wait to add some fruit in. But all in all, this has been quite easy. And unlike the calorie restriction, my hair isn't falling out!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingie View Post
Finishing my 4th week this coming Monday. Down 13 lbs. and have 37 more to go. I think I will make it this time!
Ahhhh....someone else in my category!

Down a little over 10 lbs. in 18 days.....with a goal of at least 20 more, I too think that I can make it this time....although....

I have had recent thoughts of straying.....

My DW actually fixed a batch of homemade mashed potatoes last night to go with her share of my chicken breasts on the grill.....as I watched them being whipped...and then smothered in butter....I just kept repeating what I had seen earlier that morning... 192.2.... 192.2...and I made it through this time....

I have also planned a celebration day (if I ever get there) for my down 20 lb. moment....and I have visions of arriving at Krispy Kreme while the "Hot Now" sign is lit....where I see myself downing the better part of a fresh dozen glazed doughnuts and taking another dozen that have chocolate on them (cake, filled ~ it really doesn't matter as LONG as they have chocolate!!) for the rest of the day...an ALL DOUGHNUT day...

Then it would be back to the induction attack phase for a few days to restart things....and lose those final 10 lbs. ....

At least that's the plan....for now....
Old 06-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I passed through my "true weight" this morning and plan to start Consolidation next Tuesday. I'm going to have Mondays be my PP days. I'm going to phase in the new food - starting with a fruit or a piece of bread each day for the first week. And I have a party midweek that I'll use as my Celebration meal.

Getting down 15 pounds in 5 weeks went pretty easily. I went out thrifting this morning and bought a very fitted, size smaller dress that looks great. I have a wedding in July to attend and plan to hula hoop in front of the TV between now and then to have it look even better.

Good luck to you all with your Cruising and I'll let you know how Consolidation goes.

Mmm Rrr
Old 06-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #78

Thought I would report in at my 6-7 week point and report that I lost 24 lbs total and absolutely met my goal of 182ish. I feel really good and almost like I bounce when I walk. Good grief, I never realized what an extra 24 lbs was doing to me.

I'm doing some "alternative" phase that just works for me. I go 3 days on attack phase, then 1 day with mostly protein but a big veggie salad then back on attack for 2, then a Celebration meal on Friday's (oh, is that today ).

I am holding at 183, and the diet is actually fairly close to my tastes.
Breakfast=thin sliced ham omelet using Eggbeaters
Snack = thin sliced turkey with mustard for dipping
Lunch = grilled chicken breast or Salisbury steak patty
Snack = Cottage cheese 0% fat and on veggie day added to some lettuce, etc.
Dinner = grilled ribeye with fat removed.

Celebration tonight is pizza.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

So Zero, are you trying to continue to lose weight? Do you have a plan for adding fruits and whole grains at some point in the near term?

It is amazing how a relatively low weight loss improves the way you feel. For me just stopping the sugar and carbs (and I suppose liquor!!) really improved my energy level even while eating a lot less.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #80

I'm at the weight target I wanted and just hope not to gain back any, so I am still using Attack Phase and a bit of Cruise Phase with some veggies. I don't really eat fruit often but I will start adding some whole grain and see what happens.

This diet has boosted my energy level and I'm not sure if it was physical or mental, but I just feel better and more energetic.

Hope you all have success and reach your goals.