Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

We'll HELLO 180's....it has been quite a while since I've seen you...and while I am only barely back in your range, I have to confess that I hope not to be here long....on my way to the 170's (or less) for life...

With Father's Day tomorrow, I plan on taking the day off....I WILL have at least a couple of foods that are NOT on the 100 allowable foods list ~ corn on the cob, maybe a hamburger or hot dog ON A BUN ~ but then back to the attack phase for 2-3 days....

As others here have already said, the Dukan approach has made weight loss possible without hunger (for me) and I am well pleased with my daily energy level as well as my (normal) lack of cravings for carbs.....

FWIW, I started the Atkins diet on January 1st as part of my New Year's resolutions at a weight of 216....I DID lose weight on Atkins but I found it harder to stick with....not sure why....and strayed and found myself back to my old snacking, junk food habits....had started to put on a few of the pounds I had lost but then discovered Dukan....it has been easier with less cravings and the weight loss has been quicker...

I attribute my lack of cravings to the "eat all you want" message and I truly appreciate the 100 allowed foods list ~ if it ain't on the list, it ain't allowed! Makes things really easy when you start to wonder if you can have "that"!

Bizlady? Bingie? How are things with you?
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #82

VaC, really happy that you got into the 180's cause I think that probably makes you go: And I hope the clothes are getting loose, the step is getting lively and the goal seems in sight.

Before I started this diet it felt like the bikini clad honeys were passing me by like, , and now I'm getting a few, , and some, , looks.

Just to repeat your observation, I did not have any cravings for carbs at all, but I will say that my dreams about my Celebration meals seemed to have pizzas, burgers and fries.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #83

Thanks Z ~ and YES, my clothes are fitting better and my DW keeps telling me that I look thinner....so all good here!

I am actually back into pants thatI haven't worn in several years ~ it's kinda like having a new wardrobe

But I am most proud of the fact that I can finally wear my wedding ring again

I'm not far along enough to consider those "celebration" meals yet (with the exception of my planned "doughnut day" mentioned
in an earlier post)....so it looks like I have something to look forward to....specially if I get to DREAM about eating it and then actually
eat it too ~ that's kinda like having your cake and eating it too!??
17 pounds down
Old 06-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #84
Dryer sheet wannabe

17 pounds down

Slow going but I feel good, not hungry, lots of energy & clothes are fitting better. I am 80% vegetarian by nature, no beef, pork, chicken, turkey or lamb. Fish and dairy only which is probably the reason for the slower loss. BUT I'm happy and will keep going!!
Bingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #85

Down 10.2 lbs in 3 weeks and 2 days. The diet is pretty darn easy to follow and like many of you, I just am rarely hungry following it. Have to confess to a couple "oops days" over the weekend, but hey- it was our 33 year anniversary! I too feel so much better, but that said, I have 25 more lbs I want to lose! Our daughter and son-in-law are having our first grandchild in Sept- my goal is to have the weight off by that time! So onward and forward...
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #86

Bizlady, way to go, hope it continues and Sept will be a happy time all-around.

The most surprising aspects of the Dukan diet for me have been that I feel really good and I'm not hungry between meals. It's hard to explain the "feel good" part but it's like I'm more energetic, more upbeat and my body just feels better.

And I can go from meal to meal with no desire to eat, and usually need to remind myself that it's time to eat.

VACollector, you might like this. I cook my oat bran in batches of about 8 oz and put boiling water on it, stir, and then microwave for about 30-40 seconds. Then let it rest. It has the consistency of grits, and I put salt, pepper and a spoonful of grated Romano/Parmesan cheese in it. OH MY, it is good. You'll be shocked at how close to corn grits the taste is.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Zero, Bizlady, VaCollector, Bingie - I've been reading all the progress reports and am amazed at how well y'all are doing!

I'm tempted to try this diet. In fact, based on your postings and success to date, I bought the book yesterday and plan to dig into it today.

I have several related questions:
1) For someone who's not much into cooking, any suggestions for doing Dukan?
2) My schedule has me traveling quite a bit this summer. Any tips on how to handle Dukan 'on the road'?

TIA,

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #88

Welcome to the "Dukan Group" omni550! I am down 12 lbs now and hope to hit 13 lbs by Friday, which will be the 4 week mark for me.

You really do not have to cook much on this diet. Go to the deli and get rotissarie chicken-just remove the skin first. Lowfat ham, cooked seafood, eggs, fish (baked or grilled)-- all count towards the protein. Grilling your meat is a great way to go. I've used the crock pot too.

After your attach phase, you can have veggies every other day. Order meat and veggies. Dressing on the side. Ask meat to be prepared with no batter or oil. CHoose wisely. Fast food places have grilled chicken. Ask for a lettuce wrap instead of a bun.

For me, water is key, but also actually eating enough. No fat, no sugar yogurts and cottage cheese are also OK. Keep some handy for snacking.

The oatbran might be more of a challenge while on the road. Maybe make and take some Dukan pancakes. I understand there are muffin recipes too, but I have not looked for those.

I take a multivitain and 2 fiber choice tablets each day while on this diet. Works for me!

Start your attack phase when you are home over the weekend, and you'll be on the way! Good luck- keep us posted!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Omni,

Instead of doing the oat bran galette, I would usually just mix the oat bran into vanilla yogurt and add several shakes of cinnamon. It's surprisingly tasty and filling.

Or make a porridge of the oat bran - your oat bran allowance (2 Tbsp in cruise) in about 1/2 C of skim milk (don't use too small a bowl, it makes concrete when it boils over). Either: add a generous amount of cinnamon and nuke for 2 minutes, let it sit for a while to thicken up and stir well. Or: Nuke on high for 1 minute and stir, then crack an egg into it and sprinkle with a little salt, nuke again for 1 minute (if you like a runny yolk).

A staple for me eating out was the caesar salad, no dressing, with either grilled chicken breast or salmon on top. Ask for either a bit of balsamic vinegar or a lemon wedge to spritz on top. Rather than ask them to leave out the cheese and croutons, I just eat around them.

I'm in consolidation now, happily adding bread, fruit, and cheese. And I had my first celebration meal yesterday. I'll be consolidating until the end of August.

Good luck!!
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
I'm dreaming about doughnuts!
Old 06-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #90

I'm dreaming about doughnuts!

Only 2 more pounds for my mini goal of 185 ~ that will be < 31 pounds since January with a final goal of something near 165, I FEEL GREAT!!

Doughnut Day is just a couple of pounds away!

Thanks for the tip Zero....kinda way ahead of you on that one as I've been using the oats just like grits (when I actually eat them) with my breakfast type meals ~ two eggs over medium with grits oats cooked to mush (heh) and I even cheat a little with them and add a little butter for flavor....when mixed with the eggs, I'd swear I was eating grits!! Num~yummy!

....and for the record ~ I have NOT been eating my oat bran as directed Anyone else wanna fess up?

I do;however, mix Benefiber in every cup of coffee that I drink in a day's time ~ usually 4-5 cups ~ and I have found that "everything is functioning within normal parameters"

Congrats to Bizlady, Bingie, Zero and MmmmRrr ... c'mon in Omni, the water's fine!
Old 06-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #91

VaC, I have eaten the oat bran daily pretty much and with salt, pepper and fake spray butter, or on occasion with a sprinkle of Parmesan (that tastes so close to corn grits that I cannot tell the difference). Of course I'm a west coast person so I may not know my grits well.

And I use Eggbeaters with a slice of deli ham for breakfast and mix in the oat grits. It's a pretty small amount of food and low calories but surprisingly I do not get hungry until 12-1.

Now that Benefiber trick is a good one. I'm going to try that one.

Thanks and yeah, congrats to the other Dukaners. This diet has been a breeze for me and mainly because of being retired I think. I could see it being difficult if a person was working or traveling a lot. Otherwise, I now know how to quickly lose weight.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm Rrr View Post
Omni,

Instead of doing the oat bran galette, I would usually just mix the oat bran into vanilla yogurt and add several shakes of cinnamon. It's surprisingly tasty and filling.

Or make a porridge of the oat bran - your oat bran allowance (2 Tbsp in cruise) in about 1/2 C of skim milk (don't use too small a bowl, it makes concrete when it boils over). Either: add a generous amount of cinnamon and nuke for 2 minutes, let it sit for a while to thicken up and stir well. Or: Nuke on high for 1 minute and stir, then crack an egg into it and sprinkle with a little salt, nuke again for 1 minute (if you like a runny yolk).

A staple for me eating out was the caesar salad, no dressing, with either grilled chicken breast or salmon on top. Ask for either a bit of balsamic vinegar or a lemon wedge to spritz on top. Rather than ask them to leave out the cheese and croutons, I just eat around them.

I'm in consolidation now, happily adding bread, fruit, and cheese. And I had my first celebration meal yesterday. I'll be consolidating until the end of August.

Good luck!!
I second the choice of a simple salad with warm grilled chicken breast . That makes a great meal all in one bowl and as you say, easy enough to eat around the bad stuff if eating out.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Okay, guys, I've read enough! I'm starting this on Monday after I spend the weekend cleaning out all my cabinets and loading up at the grocery store.
Congrats to each of you!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #94

Wishing you success in reaching your goal. Just a few nice meat dishes and you should be off and running.

I know the most important two parts for me were getting the oat grits thing going, that got me going in the morning along with a nice sized Eggbeaters omelet or a Lucerne" Best of the Egg" omelet.

And my favorite was using 98% fat-free ham and turkey slice for between meal snacks. Really is tasty stuff, especially the ham. The ones I used are only 45 calories for 4-5 thin slices. Oscar Mayer

BTW, the longer you can stay on the Attack Phase the quicker the weight drops off.

Good luck.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
BTW, the longer you can stay on the Attack Phase the quicker the weight drops off.

Good luck.
is there a limit on the attack phase?
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #96

Use the "calculate your true weight" on the left column, and you will get a nice layout of where you should be. OFFICIAL US WEBSITE of The Dukan Diet
Old 06-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_fire View Post
is there a limit on the attack phase?
NO real limit....although a 10 day max is recommended I think....

If you stop and think about it though, when you alternate PP (pure protein) and PV (protein and vegetables) you're actually going back on the attack phase on the PP days...

I have found that for me, PV days are best kept to a minimum as I continue to enjoy losing 3-4 (or more) pounds each week....as I get closer to my actual goal weight (20+ more pounds to go) I will introduce more veggies and eventually fruit, etc.

It seems that getting started is the biggest obstacle for most of us to overcome.....

Omni550 ~ I wouldn't worry too much about cleaning out your cabinets....I actually thought that all of the stuff that I CAN'T have would really bother me but as I type this, I am actually sitting right next to a large container of candy ~ Peanut M&Ms, chocolate covered raisins and Reece's pieces...all mixed together....some of the stuff that is the reason I NEEDED to go on a diet in the 1st place and I can honestly say that I have not and do not give them a thought.....

I'd have to say that this diet ~ with the rapid initial weight loss ~ is a results oriented diet and just focusing on the pounds that are no longer there are incentive enough

Good Luck! Lots of support here if you need help....after all ~ misery loves company!!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

I only had 14 pounds to lose and the website recommended a 3 day attack. After reading the book I decided that it made sense to follow that - also the site's recommended "true weight" for me was pretty much right on. The reason I'm following this particular regime is to try to lose this weight in a way that will stay off and let me eat all the things I enjoy with the "forever" Stabilization Phase.

I try to eat vegetables in at least 2 meals on PV days (now 6 days a week for me, hooray!). The idea of alternating the PP and PV days is that you keep your body from saying "Oh my god, what is she doing to me, only protein??" None of the allowed vegetables is especially high in carbs and I don't like totally counting on a multivitamin for all my vitamins.

I'd encourage those of you who are considering this to buy the book and read it thoroughly. Dr. D. has a few ideas that made me raise my eyebrows, but most of what he says makes sense to me.

Mmm Rrr
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #99

i meant is there a time limit on the attack phase?

edit: sorry, for some reason all the posts between bizlady's last 1 and this 1 didnt show up
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #100
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

From the Taubes book:
Attached Images
File Type: png image-2137717628.png (53.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: png image-3458615981.png (59.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: png image-528210624.png (50.7 KB, 7 views)