Early onset dementia

That's a useful quiz, but giving it to someone already on mind altering medication is counterproductive and not really helpful.

That's a useful quiz, but giving it to someone already on mind altering medication is counterproductive and not really helpful.

+1

First rule: Care for the caregiver. Join a support group, see a social worker, whatever you are comfortable with. If you aren't on solid ground, you can't help her.

I watched my father deal with this when my mom was diagnosed. It was a rough couple of years for us all. He wouldn't do anything for himself, and it took a terrible toll.

My husband has permanent chemo fog, and while it isn't Alzheimer's, it is still frustrating and very scary at times. Problem is, he doesn't realize he has it as badly as he does. This is my fate, until it isn't anymore.

I'll keep you in my prayers.

+1 And for someone who may already have some sort of brain injury that may not result in dementia, it's not useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

First rule: Care for the caregiver. Join a support group, see a social worker, whatever you are comfortable with. If you aren't on solid ground, you can't help her.

I'll keep you in my prayers.

^This.

Do rule out other things, but you also have to take care of yourself. Don't become a prisoner.

My mom has Alzheimer's. Symptoms were probably there in mid-50s, but didn't want to face it. A good friend of theirs had succumbed to it. So treatment wasn't started right away. They also didn't tell their children (us), for a number of years. My dad tried to care for her at home, but as others have noted, really did that for far too long. And some really dangerous situations were narrowly avoided; one involving a knife.

She is now in a full-time memory unit. Thankfully, a decent LTC policy was purchased. Her body is actually quite physically healthy, but the mind is not there. Although, I'm not sure being physically healthy is a blessing. Thankfully, she still recognizes him, but really doesn't recognize any of us any longer.

My dad is finally doing things that he enjoys and trying to have a life, too. He may even take trip this year.

I am so sorry you are facing these things. Praying it is not dementia, but glad you are seeking proper diagnosis and treatments.

cd

Just got an email from the counselor. In response to my direct question "is it early onset dementia?", she responded that I shouldn't go there. I think they aren't sure if it is depression or dementia. Either way, I will be seeing a counselor of my own for support, and will continue to keep a positive attitude and enjoy the good days and remember them on the bad ones. I will get my will etc taken care of (again) so that the burdens don't fall on DW.

She is scheduled for jury duty next week (I found out about it yesterday at the counselor session). I had to chuckle (I know it wouldn't be funny on any level for participants), but the thought of her in the jury room trying to make a decision on the guilt or innocence of a person when she can't make a decision on what to wear and the effect on the other jurors😳! The Dr. is writing a note to get her out of it, so no problem.

Thanks again for the advice and support.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

It has been 2 1/2 weeks since her release, and the good news is that the meds she is on are working! She is coming back to the woman I married. I am concerned that she is feeling better and thinks she can stop the meds. The counsellor told her that she can't adjust the meds on her own. Since I dispense the meds 2 x times per day, I know she is taking them. I am keeping a positive attitude, and we are getting out on spontaneous day trips to keep us both on our toes.

Thanks for the update. I am so glad she is getting better.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Glad to hear her improvement. The right meds can make all the difference.

Great news that your old DW is coming back!! You must be so relieved.

Happy to read your good news! I hope she continues to improve and good that the medicine helps to bring it all about.

The most important first step is get a proper diagnosis from an expert in this area.

A friend of mine recently was experiencing similar symptoms. It took several different doctors to find one who decided to check her thyroid. Turns out it was not functioning. Now she is on meds and back to her old self.

I have been following this thread, and I am so glad for you both that the meds are helping. My husband has been dealing with mental illness for 12 years, and it took several years of experimenting with different doctors and different meds to reach his current state of stability. If there is one in your area, the Family-to-Family group offered by NAMI was very helpful for me. NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness | Find Support

So wonderful you are taking advantage of the good days to take trips. It will give you something more to cherish as memories later. Hope it is just depression. But, regardless, suggest you consider keeping a journal of her status each day. Nothing extensive needed, just enough to give you a sense, when reviewing with her Dr over a week or month long period say, of when a med adjustment may be needed. Also something to help you articulate what you are dealing with in your own counseling or group support meeting.

this helped me both help my father, and help myself deal with it all YMMV

I don't have much time to go online these days (being retired keeps me very busy !) but I logged on today specifically to check this thread. I am so thrilled that she is on the mend. I love the idea of day trips and making new memories together. Memories that I hope you BOTH remember for a long long time. God bless.

Back
Top Bottom