Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #41
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Without getting into other areas, I have found it quite helpful to use smaller plates. Dessert plate heaped up looks very satisfying, and you can always go back for a second helping after the above mentioned 20 minutes.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
This wasn't directed at me but I have anecdotal evidence from my own experiment with TAl's regimen. One year ago, 6' 195 pounds. Quit sugars and down to 180 in a few months. Gained back to 182 (cookies slipped in) and went LCHF, down to 165 in two months. Hunger is gone, sweet tooth is controlled. For now
Hello Donheff,

I am just curious, how has the LCHF affected your cholesterol and blood pressure? Are these stats just as good as before the LCHF? If so, this is wonderful news. Thank you for sharing.

Retire 2014
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2014 View Post
Hello Donheff,

I am just curious, how has the LCHF affected your cholesterol and blood pressure? Are these stats just as good as before the LCHF? If so, this is wonderful news. Thank you for sharing.

Retire 2014
I stopped statins a month before the diet so it is confusing. I was at 205 total cholesterol with the statins, with HDL of 67 and triglycerides of 137. All were getting progressively worse year by year and the doc had written a prescription to up my statins. Having dropped the statins I expected a substantial rise but with the diet I got a mild rise -- up to 241 total cholesterol. But, my triglycerides dropped from 137 to 91 and my HDL rose from 67 to 87, both very good changes. I was back to the doc a couple of weeks ago and she felt I don't need statins despite the total number being "high," since everything else is excellent. Also, I am now down to 163 pounds and am adding a bit more complex carbs into my diet. My blood pressure was always good -- in the 110/80 range. At the last appointment it was 105/70. I did not do a radical LCHF diet. I started with what the Atkins people would call a maintenance level - up to 50g of carbs a day. I am still under 100g most days but slowly adding low GI stuff back in. Had a chocolate milk midway through a bike ride the other day.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #44
Gone but not forgotten

Two years ago I started cutting portions . I put half of what I used to eat on my plate and never added anymore . I did also lower carbs .I have lost over 22 pounds and feel better but the big pay off is I no longer want larger meals and have maintained this weight .I did have to buy new clothes but what women doesn't love that .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:43 AM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm doing like Kahn suggested. We bought a set of 8 1/2" diameter plates to use. It also helps if I wait awhile before going back for seconds.
houstenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On the question of diet and cholesterol/triglycerides studies have shown that what I experienced is common. Here is a slide showing the results of one. Makes it easy to see:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CarbsVsFat.JPG (27.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
A good way to know whether or not you're really hungry, is to keep a bag of fresh peeled carrots, or fresh raw broccoli, or whatever veg you enjoy, in the frig. When you think you're hungry, decide if eating some of the veg sounds good. If not, then you are not really hungry for food.
Bingo.

"Am I hungry?" reminds me of one of the best bits of safety advice I learned as student pilot. Before flying every pilot should ask himself "Is it safe to fly?" The advice was if I have any doubt then there is no doubt. That is, if I have any doubt whether it's safe to fly that tells me it's not. Similarly, If there is any doubt about whether I'm hungry, that tells me I'm not.