Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
I (age 61) was consuming about 900 calories a day on low carb since Christmas and not losing any weight. And I only need to lose 15 lbs.
You are miscounting your calories. This is a major problem with every study that uses self-reported diet/exercise information.
rgarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Funny thing is with all the water, I have the same lack of hunger that I had on low carb, and I'm not having edema problems. Its amazing, but with the data my wife has collected for almost 4 weeks, its clearly real.

z
Very often, the feeling of hunger actually means you are thirsty. DW learned and passed that little trick to me a few years ago. Often now when I feel hungry I'll have a drink instead, and it delays the need to eat.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
What was your objective. I don't get the point.
Perhaps he just wished to say that he has changed his mind about that too few calories can put your body into "starvation mode".

I'm with the others though in being concerned about Zathras 900 calorie low-carb diet that he has miraculously maintained for 3 months. He must have some serious will power! I guess after a while your appetite disappears (another sign of a lowered metabolism).

But for a man - 900 calories per day is, well, nuts! You should probably be eating twice that unless you are very small. So - we can't resist stating our opinion if we consider something severely wrong-headed and even dangerous to your health.

Audrey
Old 04-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post

But I still am really curious why you would do both low-carb and low-calorie dieting. Unless you are 4' 11", weigh 49 pounds and lead a sedentary lifestyle, 900 calories is way too low. I do admire your willpower though. There is no way I could have gone 3-4 months on 900 calories per day. Not without guns and barbed wire being involved.
Because that's just low carb doesn't do it if you love cheese!
HsiaoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarling View Post
You are miscounting your calories. This is a major problem with every study that uses self-reported diet/exercise information.
You are wrong. I know exactly how many calories are involved.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
What was your objective. I don't get the point.
Hey..... I was just making a conversation about my wife's diet and what it did for here. An informational point. Everything doesn't have an objective.

OK..... I did have an objective: just conversation!
Old 04-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Well, the paint is peeling on MY deck, too!

Back in the 1970's, I decided to just stop eating in order to lose the 20 pounds that were bothering me. I did so for a week - - just lay on the sofa because I felt too weak to do anything at all. I ate absolutely nothing whatsoever. I took a few sips of water but that was about all.

After a week, I found I had GAINED two pounds.

Weight Watchers, on the other hand, works for me (when I follow it correctly).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I recommend just eating fruit veggies salad lemon water and baked beans..watch what happens!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I do believe that eating less calories may make some people gain weight, but there are a lot of anorexic young women out there who didn't get that way by eating too many calories. If you google "starvation mode" you will find references to it, including I think on Weight Watchers, that it is a phenomenom that happens at extremely low calorie levels, like in concentration camps--i.e., truly starvation mode.

However, I personally am looking for that diet that lets you lose weight by eating more, however .
Old 04-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I do believe that eating less calories may make some people gain weight, but there are a lot of anorexic young women out there who didn't get that way by eating too many calories. If you google "starvation mode" you will find references to it, including I think on Weight Watchers, that it is a phenomenom that happens at extremely low calorie levels, like in concentration camps--i.e., truly starvation mode.

However, I personally am looking for that diet that lets you lose weight by eating more, however .
Well.... that's what I thought too. But my wife's data has proved it different. And the research of the Healthy Diet trainer has also shown it to b e different than total starvation. Apparently it doesn't take much to send one into conservation mode. Maybe it takes a lot more when you are only 22 years old. Again, wifey is 58 and I'm almost 61.

Z
Old 04-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #32

Whenever I go on a strict diet like that I have learned--thru the school of hard knocks--to take ONE day a week and eat around 2,400 calories vs. the normal 1,200+. That kicks my metabolism into gear, and I never plateau then. Has anyone else ever done this and had success doing this like I have?
Believe it or not, it gets to be trying to eat that much after a few months of eating little....but I manage...I manage...

48 ounces of water is only 6 glasses and not much at all. Jeepers, I drink around 12 glasses of water a day every day = 96 ounces.
Water is good for hydration, your skin, your kidneys and colon, etc.; plus, if you do any sort of exercise at all you need the water in those muscles so you don't get leg cramps, and, take it from me, they are no fun at all--especially if they come in the middle of the night when you're sleeping.

I'm going to do some homework on the Rotation Diet mentioned. Never heard of it, but sounds logical from what I know about losing weight.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey..... I was just making a conversation about my wife's diet and what it did for here. An informational point. Everything doesn't have an objective.

OK..... I did have an objective: just conversation!
You didn't answer the question.
What did you want to get out of the conversation/talk (goal, result, hope, desire, etc)?
Old 04-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Whenever I go on a strict diet like that I have learned--thru the school of hard knocks--to take ONE day a week and eat around 2,400 calories vs. the normal 1,200+. That kicks my metabolism into gear, and I never plateau then. Has anyone else ever done this and had success doing this like I have?
Believe it or not, it gets to be trying to eat that much after a few months of eating little....but I manage...I manage...

48 ounces of water is only 6 glasses and not much at all. Jeepers, I drink around 12 glasses of water a day every day = 96 ounces.
Water is good for hydration, your skin, your kidneys and colon, etc.; plus, if you do any sort of exercise at all you need the water in those muscles so you don't get leg cramps, and, take it from me, they are no fun at all--especially if they come in the middle of the night when you're sleeping.

I LOVE to eat. That's why I workout, so I can eat more. Come winter, when I'm cutting fat, I drink huge amounts of water and eat little (for me) during the week. "Little" for me is still more than many people eat. On the weekends I lighten up a bit and eat some of my favorites. If I tried to stay on the strict diet I maintain during the week all of the time, I'd go off theregimene within a couple weeks and pig out. I'm not trying to compete in any competitions, so I don't worry too much about 3-5 lbs. Since summer is coming and I will be in the swim suit, I cut as much fat as I can without going to extremes. Besides the lady (DW) likes it. I also gocompletelyy off the eatingregimene in the fall, which coincides with changing the focus of my workouts. I noticed this helps keep me strict during the winter.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You didn't answer the question.
What did you want to get out of the conversation/talk (goal, result, hope, desire, etc)?
Someone with more than 3800 posts here has to ask me what I got out of conversation? You're funny.

Surely you jest! Conversation is an end in itself.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

The Twinkies avatar isn't helping.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The Twinkies avatar isn't helping.
Yes, I noticed that too.
The word "Twinkies" ("case of Twinkies" and "The Twinkie Institute") slipped into two of my posts at other threads.
Subliminal suggestion still w*rks on us...
Old 04-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Someone with more than 3800 posts here has to ask me what I got out of conversation? You're funny.

Surely you jest! Conversation is an end in itself.
It can be. But when someone starts a thread with all sorts of specific numbers and also appears to come to some debatable conclusions, and adds all caps to statements claiming they are unbelievable, when some of us consider them believable, I don't think the OP should be surprised that analysis, suggestions and debate follows. Examples:

CONVERSATION AS AN END TO ITSELF:

Z) Nice weather we are having, eh? ( a general comment)
Z's neighbor) Yeah, nice, maybe I'll take a bike ride.

CONVERSATION LIKELY TO RESULT IN DEBATE:

Z) We had 9" of snow yesterday! ( a specific, verifiable statement)
Z's neighbor) No we didn't, it was 80 and sunny, are you on something?

Discuss

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Very often, the feeling of hunger actually means you are thirsty. DW learned and passed that little trick to me a few years ago. Often now when I feel hungry I'll have a drink instead, and it delays the need to eat.
I'm imaginging feeling hungry at 10 am and thinking, hey, I'll have a drink instead.... Yessir, eight of these a day and I'll never be hungry!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beer.jpg (1.9 KB, 67 views)
Old 04-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Yes, I noticed that too.
The word "Twinkies" ("case of Twinkies" and "The Twinkie Institute") slipped into two of my posts at other threads.
Subliminal suggestion still w*rks on us...
You were just helping Twinkie celebrate its 80th birthday on 4/7/10! No ER for this snack cake.

Twinkies and beer--now there's a diet that won't put me into starvation mode (the beer will supply all the nutrients). Plus of course the occasional chili dog to keep the calorie count up.