Effects of Aging?

In my 40s I was obese and on lots of meds. However I could do anything work wise. Thirty six hours straight and back in twelve.

Last long term assignment(in my 50s) was a couple of days. Eighteen hours into day two, I hit a wall. Never had anything like it before. Sure I've hit walls, not like this. I was done.

Like others retirement has been a blessing. We've both dropped 55 pounds and our diet has changed. More exercise is needed to maintain your health but it is worth it. Obviously it doesn't turn back the clock, it makes me feel better.

I used to run, lift weights, bike, hike and do other strenuous activities with no problems. Now 61, I've had sporadic knee pain during the past 6 months - 3 months before and after an October marathon. Stuff like this never happened when I was younger. But as I get older, it takes forever for aches and pains to go away.

Most people won't hurt themselves with:

1) Good dietary habits
2) Some aerobic exercise daily or every other day
3) Some upper body weight bearing exercise to tone muscles for their daily normal exertions
4) Some stretching (get instructions from someone in the physical therapy area)
5) A good night's sleep

I'm 68 and just added #3 and #4. Yes, aging takes a toll but so far only a modest one.

One thing to watch out for is accepting "these things happen when you get older," like DH's former urologist, his own age, told him about a worsening prostate problem (having to pee several times a night is a stock aging men's joke; recurring UTIs not so much). New young urologist's take was "we can fix that," and he did. Quality of life is so much better.

Up until 3 years ago, I was fine. Lots of activity, never thinking about health. Then a sequence of events caused me to become very humble. I joke that I passed my "best before" date 3 years ago. I won't bore you with the litany but suffice to say that each thing impacts upon others.

My recovery was celebrated in July by an 8-day bike/barge tour of The Moselle river cycling 55 km a day. Becoming cautiously optimistic once again even though pills are a part of my daily regime. Like Nemo, I am 74 1/4, but unlike him, I have only been retired since I was 60.

I am 61 now and I ER'd at 55. The effects of aging tend to be that it is easier to get injured if you are not careful about adjusting your activities for you age and it takes longer to recover.

I was a production line engineer toward the end of my career. I had the opportunity to work on a lot of ergonomic issues. You might want to research ergonomics for the aging worker. You will see all of the issues that professionals and businesses see among populations of aging workers. Then you just have to decide where you place yourself in the statistical population.

I'm currently 60. Cervical Disc Degeneration Disease hit me hard in 2006 resulting in pain management needs since then. Two years ago my lumbar spine started acting up. A year ago coronary artery disease and carotid artery disease raised their ugly heads resulting in lifestyle changes (no fun foods or beer and more exercise). Can't wait to see what the next ten years bring.

I used to run, lift weights, bike, hike and do other strenuous activities with no problems. Now 61, I've had sporadic knee pain during the past 6 months - 3 months before and after an October marathon. Stuff like this never happened when I was younger. But as I get older, it takes forever for aches and pains to go away.

Adding 10+ more years to this:

(Ran competitively in my 30's and 40's (Long distance, etc) Held weight at 149 pounds consistently for a decade or longer.)

Did all the other stuff except weight lifting for many years after running regiment slowed to walking in my 50's.

Had total hip replacement at 65 years old (bone on bone situation). Weight moved up to 210 pounds over time. Having difficulty losing weight anymore.:(

Blood pressure was found to be elevated @ age 67 and currently taking a 20 mg beta blocker.

Finding @ over age 70 that strength is not what it used to be, I tire more easily, if I work in the yard or do any other strenuous physical activity for several hours, the next day I can "feel" the effects of the prior day's muscle use. Recovery is longer than it used to be.

At 73 I feel I am doing pretty well compared to some of my friends of similar age. I have no back or knee/joint issues, blood work is normal across the board (no cholesterol or diabetes issues), no evidence of memory issues, and I am still very active, physically. I'm sure at my age it could be worse and there are plenty of examples of it.

DW, on the other hand, is suffering from COPD, arthritis (in toes, especially), and a bone fracture in her spine. She's two years younger with no diabetes issues and normal weight. She is not very physically active and long distance travelling for her is at a standstill right now.

We live in an older (16 years since built) 55+ community and I see many long term residents that are pushing walkers to the mailbox or never out of the house at all. Most dog walkers are older women who are widows and living alone. A lot of routine homeowner tasks seem to be done by contract help. I suspect this neighborhood is still better than an assisted living facility or worse (nursing home), although it appears that this is the stop before that move.

I'm currently 60. Cervical Disc Degeneration Disease hit me hard in 2006 resulting in pain management needs since then. Two years ago my lumbar spine started acting up. A year ago coronary artery disease and carotid artery disease raised their ugly heads resulting in lifestyle changes (no fun foods or beer and more exercise). Can't wait to see what the next ten years bring.

I've been dealing with cervical spine degeneration since 2000. At least the first three times there was trauma that caused the pain to come on. February of '15 I woke up in major pain, no trauma, just sleeping.

I'm 55, almost died a couple years ago because of a "minor" surgery gone awry. I'm on a couple BP meds and cholesterol meds. I've always been very conscious of mortality.

I think attitude in aging is important. There is literature showing a relationship between negative expectations of aging (e.g., that I will become mentally slower, or that I will have physical ailments) and the actual results of aging -- in other words, that our expectations of aging affect our actual outcome. Not surprising. Beliefs create self-fulfilling prophecies in many ways.

Not that beliefs create reality, but I think it's important to keep a realistically positive attitude about aging. Negative expectations (especially those based on stereotypes of older people) can make it worse for us.

Currently 78 and in not too bad shape. I am still flying and look forward to joining the United Flying Octogenarians next year.
I am concerned about my DW, however. she has Afib and an aortic aneurysm. Both conditions are being monitored closely, however.
She is 73.

I'm experiencing this now. Too much time in front of a computer certainly isn't helping. I'm otherwise healthy and active.

These back and neck issues are front and center in my decision to ER this year.

One of our main incentives to retiring early is that we know so many couples, including our parents, where one of them gets so ill shortly after retirement that their plans of a carefree retirement are badly affected.

To that end we really worked hard at keeping fit and at age 55 when we retired were both in great shape. At work I had a treadmill stress test the year before I retired (just something my company did every 5 years for its managers 40 and older) and the cardiologist said my results were "spectacular, and I mean spectacular, but this is just a test and doesn't mean you won't have heart problems next year, next month or even tomorrow". 6 years later I was in the ER with a heart problem. It turned out to be A-Fib, which is not a total disaster by any means but is an unexpected health problem. I expected to have debilitating joint problems as I aged (lots of family history there) and may still encounter this, but heart issues were not expected at age 60.

Looking at the possible causes of A-Fib the only one beyond my control is age.
Like Alan I turned 60 and was diagnosed with AFib also. It's annoying because I stayed fit enough throughout my life and was very careful about cholesterol and blood pressure etc. So the heart plumbing was good but I now have electrical problems :)

Aside from that I notice a huge difference in my strength between now and when I was 50, also my stamina. I could bench press my weight when I was 50. Now..I'm afraid to even try half of that. And don't even ask me how I feel about myself when I look in the mirror compared to 10yrs ago ;)

I'm experiencing this now. Too much time in front of a computer certainly isn't helping. I'm otherwise healthy and active.

These back and neck issues are front and center in my decision to ER this year.

That's why I retired four years ago. All day in front of a computer left me in pain by day's end. Once we hit our minimum number I bailed and the pain is much more manageable...got some of my life back.

I'm 62 and still feel good. Ride my bike, play golf and take the mutt on long walks. Got a neighbor who just turned 65 and he has already had a knee and hip replacement. Fell and broke his ankle not long ago because of a dizzy spell. Has bursitis in one shoulder and rarely gets to play golf anymore. Things can go south in a hurry, just have to stay as active as you can for as long as you can.

At age 50 I developed asthma, high blood pressure and a too fast, erratic heartbeat (not AFib). I was a healthy weight, exercising daily, etc. At 62 I have cerebral vascular disease and back/neck problems. I have some balance issues and a neurologist and all sorts of tests could not find a problem. So now when I exercise instead of fast walking I walk much slower due to falling easily if I encounter any obstacle where I stumble. I never thought in a million years this would happen to me. But I have friends that are either dead, have cancer, dementia, MS, etc. I retired right before I was 58 and am glad I did. I do work p.t. teaching an online college class but I can do that from anywhere with internet.That I really love and it gives me a lot of pleasure to do it.

Wait a minute! With 22 years of ER under my belt and all the knowledge(of ER) I've accumulated by age 73 you mean I don't get to do it again only spiffier?

heh heh heh - :facepalm: :greetings10: Not gonna list my creaks and groans - wouldn't be prudent.

Like Alan I turned 60 and was diagnosed with AFib also. It's annoying because I stayed fit enough throughout my life and was very careful about cholesterol and blood pressure etc. So the heart plumbing was good but I now have electrical problems :)

Aside from that I notice a huge difference in my strength between now and when I was 50, also my stamina. I could bench press my weight when I was 50. Now..I'm afraid to even try half of that. And don't even ask me how I feel about myself when I look in the mirror compared to 10yrs ago ;)

Excessive exercising has been "linked" as they say, to AFib later in life. Ongoing erratic heart beats were one reason I severely cranked back my exercise. Especially steady state aerobics. If I run high heart rates it is only for brief periods a la interval training and only a few days per week. All that exercise was killing me

As far as looking in the mirror: I was just fine with it all until I hit 58. Then I noticed the slight creases and "extra skin" under my neck and laugh lines around the eyes that were there even when I wasn't laughing. And I thought I was aging so gracefully, too.

If you want to stave off the effects of type 2 diabetes I would like to recommend the website

This is the blog of Dr Jason Fung who is a Canadian nephrologist. He looks after renal patients, most of which have endstage renal failure from type 2 diabetes. he has found a way to reverse their diabetes. Unfortunately he cannot do much about the renal failure once it is established, but if you read the evidence you will find many successes in getting people off medication and insulin. It is all done by a low carb diet and intermittent fasting. The reason it works is explained by Dr Fung and it is rational and plausible. He has the results to show as well. The pharmaceutical companies are probably not that keen to have his website promoted as they will make no money as people will not need their drugs.

In most cases type 2 diabetes is a dietary disease and it can only be reversed by dietary means. On the plus side you save money on this diet,it costs you nothing extra.

Last edited by a moderator:
Age 66 here. Until about three years ago I hadn't spent the night in a hospital since 1950. I kept reasonably fit but no one would have called me athletic. Genetics made it easy to keep weight under control so I never had that issue.

Three years ago I noticed that I had to stop and rest three or four times when mowing a hill in the yard, and I hadn't had to do that the week before. That's a huge warning sign so I called my doc and three days later had two stents in my heart. A few months after that the a-fib started and that went on for a couple of years and about seven trips to the ER for it. A cardiac ablation last March seems to have worked for now but I'm told the a-filb will come back. Maybe next month, maybe ten years.

I've also noticed that I can't lift as much at the gym as I could even eight months ago - the docs can't find anything wrong with me to explain it so I attribute it to simple aging. But I'll keep going, if only to hang on to what I've got for as long as I can.

Most recently it was finding malignant melanoma on my arm, the surgery was last week and (preliminarily) it seems that was found early enough to be easily treated, but it is still "watch and wait" because we still really don't know.

But I still try to learn new things, now it is continuing photography and radio control models. Yesterday I found myself mentally analyzing the Photoshop techniques used in a composite photo for an ad for two R/C airplanes made by the same company - it didn't "look right" because the light was coming from two different directions on each model but it doesn't jump out at you. And I took some photos of an R/C model flying in the family room today

Age 66 here. Until about three years ago I hadn't spent the night in a hospital since 1950. I kept reasonably fit but no one would have called me athletic. Genetics made it easy to keep weight under control so I never had that issue.

Three years ago I noticed that I had to stop and rest three or four times when mowing a hill in the yard, and I hadn't had to do that the week before. That's a huge warning sign so I called my doc and three days later had two stents in my heart. A few months after that the a-fib started and that went on for a couple of years and about seven trips to the ER for it. A cardiac ablation last March seems to have worked for now but I'm told the a-filb will come back. Maybe next month, maybe ten years.

I've also noticed that I can't lift as much at the gym as I could even eight months ago - the docs can't find anything wrong with me to explain it so I attribute it to simple aging. But I'll keep going, if only to hang on to what I've got for as long as I can.

Most recently it was finding malignant melanoma on my arm, the surgery was last week and (preliminarily) it seems that was found early enough to be easily treated, but it is still "watch and wait" because we still really don't know.

But I still try to learn new things, now it is continuing photography and radio control models. Yesterday I found myself mentally analyzing the Photoshop techniques used in a composite photo for an ad for two R/C airplanes made by the same company - it didn't "look right" because the light was coming from two different directions on each model but it doesn't jump out at you. And I took some photos of an R/C model flying in the family room today
Congratulations on the successful Ablation. Sometimes you have to do it twice so I've read. But not always.

Back
Top Bottom