Effects of Aging?

Had an aortic valve replacement 4 years ago in May at the ripe old age of 53. Didn't know till I had the surgery that I was born with bi-leaflet valve. Did my research and lots of it. Chose my valve, surgeon and had the surgery. Results, I now can walk 5 miles a day and do pretty much what I want except now my knee is giving me problems with Arthritis in my left knee.

Have done everything I can before I went to the doc. He gave me a cortisone shot and it has helped.

Went to New York city in December for 10 days. Wore a knee brace and kept moving on as I may never go there again.

Point being I think attitude and fortitude enables you to keep going until you can't go anymore. Life is short. Live it.

We have been avid RV'ers for the last 20+ years, and have watched many other Rv'ers work to full retirement age. You cannot believe how many of the husbands had serious health issues that resulted in their ability to just sit around--and do little else. I'm talking bad backs and hearts. It's really sad to see their wives having to setup their campers and doing all the 'grunt work' while the husband sits and watches.

We never know how many good years we've got left--and I chose to retire at 58 and grab all the Gusto the first time around.

I'm now 66, and doing well despite being a Type II diabetic. My wife has had spinal stenosis and arthritis and is under pain management. Within a 3 month period, mid foot arthritis raised its head and she can barely wear shoes or even sleep due to pain. We've gone from being perpetual European travelers to doing North American road trips by car. Those days of hiking all over big cities may be over for my wife.

My biggest concern right now is maintaining stable diabetes. Unfortunately 2/3 of diabetics will end up with open heart surgery, so the odds are against me. But the biggest fear is loss of kidney function--and dialysis. My father and uncle both lasted 4 years on hemodialysis, and I have a 60 year old cousin on dialysis that's on her last leg. Diabetes is very hereditary, so my daughter needs to take care of herself.

But the good news is that my parents and grandparents had long lifespans due ot staying active.

I identify with you

DH and I have been together since high school and always enjoyed running, hiking and cycling together. He also played basketball in a league after high school. He was also a letter carrier with a walking route so pretty much in good shape. He had an emergency appendectomy when he was 44 and had some complications from that. About a year later I took him to ER due to extremely rapid HR (middle of the night).
He was diagnosed with Ventricular Tachycardia. They tried two ablation that didn't work, so he was placed on medication and had a defibrillator implanted. He was still able to do his walking route but had to give up basketball and running. Could still do easier cycling. He's had continual issues and two years ago had his meds changed and the defibrillator replaced with a pacemaker/defibrillator and had to give up his walking route for a mounted route. He retired last year (I retired in 2014). He doesn't have any other medical issues and thankfully he can still golf.
I have very good health and stay very active. However, it is a bit sad as DH and I had planned to lead very active lifestyles in retirement. But, we know things could be worse.
The morale is that you can't take your health for granted and plans can change quickly regardless of age.

My DH has just been diagnosed with diabetes and they put him on 2 pills. He has never had to take meds before and is just turning 58. They are sending him to a diabetes class which will be good.

Back
Top Bottom