Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I suppose the Doc can give me a "slip" excusing me from further yard work. (maybe I can get one exempting me from inside the house duties also..)
That's a great gig if you can get it. My doc still says "no".
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #142
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That's a great gig if you can get it. My doc still says "no".
I'm not holding my breath on this..
Old 11-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
The Skeptical Cardiologist has a recent blog post on how he uses the AliveCor KardiaMobile ECG device mentioned earlier in this thread to monitor his afib patients directly.

https://theskepticalcardiologist.com/
Dawg you really should have one of these. It's simple too use and exactly what you need to determine if you have Afib or not.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:44 AM   #144
Administrator

Quote:
We already compared my BP device to the one in his office and it is within a few percent of the same after several trials He said it's adequate for what I am checking.
In that case you really need to take it easy when in an SVT episode with BP as low as that. No standing up too quickly (I did that once when I had low BP, blacked out and had a nasty fall).
Old 11-09-2018, 06:22 AM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Dawg you really should have one of these. It's simple too use and exactly what you need to determine if you have Afib or not.
I asked my GP doc about it and although he knew they existed, he didn't know how well they work. When I have my follow up cardiologist visit after my stress test, I plan to discuss it with her. If she is open to the idea and will use the info, I will get one. I haven't had any other episodes since my last one on Nov 1st although I do feel light headed some everyday. Rarely ever light headed before my first episode.

Who knows.......maybe I will get lucky and it's a passing thing. After reading what Alan and aja8888 have gone through, my case doesn't sound so bad. But want to investigate to be sure.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:38 AM   #146

Alan's post reminds me of our grandchild #3. I don't recall the exact name of his condition, but subject to racing heart over 200. First discovered when living in London, and the first thing they did was dunk his head into a bucket of ice water! This happened several times and the ice trick never did work for him. Was on some oral med for several years, discontinued. Think last time happened was when about 2-3. Then here this summer at age 5 had once more. Always said ablation was a remedy or could grow out of it. Knowing the symptoms and his awareness of it now we're hoping he can just grow out of it. Unfortunately this last episode scared the little guy but he seems to have moved past it.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #147
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Alan's post reminds me of our grandchild #3. I don't recall the exact name of his condition, but subject to racing heart over 200. First discovered when living in London, and the first thing they did was dunk his head into a bucket of ice water! This happened several times and the ice trick never did work for him. Was on some oral med for several years, discontinued. Think last time happened was when about 2-3. Then here this summer at age 5 had once more. Always said ablation was a remedy or could grow out of it. Knowing the symptoms and his awareness of it now we're hoping he can just grow out of it. Unfortunately this last episode scared the little guy but he seems to have moved past it.
Wow, that is really tough for someone so young. I certainly hope he does grow out of it.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:01 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
A friend of mine had those episodes since childhood. Her parents brushed them off as excitability, just "all in your head". Turned out to be Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) syndrome, which was diagnosed in her late 40s and treated successfully with an ablation.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20354626

"In Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) syndrome, an extra electrical pathway between your heart's upper and lower chambers causes a rapid heartbeat. The extra pathway is present at birth and fairly rare.

The episodes of fast heartbeats usually aren't life-threatening, but serious heart problems can occur. Treatment can stop or prevent episodes of fast heartbeats. A catheter-based procedure (ablation) can permanently correct the heart rhythm problems.

Most people with an extra electrical pathway experience no fast heartbeat. This condition, called Wolff-Parkinson-White pattern, is discovered only by chance during a heart exam. Although WPW pattern is often harmless, doctors might recommend further evaluation before children with WPW pattern participate in high-intensity sports."
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #149
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
In that case you really need to take it easy when in an SVT episode with BP as low as that. No standing up too quickly (I did that once when I had low BP, blacked out and had a nasty fall).
Yes, when it occurs, I start blacking out but have the sense (and time) enough to get horizontal and recover. But it sure is scary.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:51 PM   #150
Administrator

A friend in Baton Rouge has seen a cardiologist for irregular heart beat and he has her wearing this small mobile device for the next 4 weeks.

https://www.gobio.com/device/mcot-patch/

Quote:
Mobile Cardiac Outpatient Telemetry Patch System

The MCOT monitor gathers data from the sensor via Bluetooth, then sends that ECG data via a wireless connection automatically. Although the monitor will transmit cardiac data automatically to BioTel Heart 24 hours a day, it is important for you to record symptoms as you feel them. By doing so throughout your monitoring period, this will provide your healthcare professional with the most complete information.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #151
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
A friend in Baton Rouge has seen a cardiologist for irregular heart beat and he has her wearing this small mobile device for the next 4 weeks.

https://www.gobio.com/device/mcot-patch/
That's the one i wore for 16 days.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #152
Administrator

Quote:
That's the one i wore for 16 days.
Oh aye, now I remember. Fixing my AFib has not improved my memory
Old 11-17-2018, 01:02 PM   #153

Quote:
Oh aye, now I remember. Fixing my AFib has not improved my memory
Yup, I've noticed that too. My memory I mean, not yours.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #154

Quote:
the nice thing about the Alivecor Kardia device is that it is small and very easy to carry, it even comes with a pad to stick it to the back of a smartphone if you wish. Whenever, and wherever I feel a dizzy spell it takes less than a minute to take an ekg trace.
I had my first physical with my brand new primary care doctor yesterday and somehow this device came up in the discussion. He's quite enthusiastic about it and has recommended it to a number of his patients.

I also told him about the Qardio Arm device I use to monitor my blood pressure. He hadn't heard about that one (it also syncs with my phone) and was quite impressed.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #155
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I had my first physical with my brand new primary care doctor yesterday and somehow this device came up in the discussion. He's quite enthusiastic about it and has recommended it to a number of his patients.

I also told him about the Qardio Arm device I use to monitor my blood pressure. He hadn't heard about that one (it also syncs with my phone) and was quite impressed.
Nice demo video, and a great price.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #156
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Thanks, this is really slick! And it works with android too.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:54 PM   #157

I've been using the Qardio Arm for about a year and a half. This week I exported all the data from my phone and made a graph to show my new doc. He was blown away by it.

"Nobody comes in here with data like this. Can I keep this and show my colleagues?"
Old 11-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #158

Quote:
I clicked the link and saw that the Qardio Arm device comes in four colors (lightning red, midnight blue, artic white and gold). But, the gold-colored one is only available outside the U.S. Why would that be? And, would there be a problem if someone bought the gold-colored device from outside the U.S. and then brought it into the country?

Sometimes I wonder if I could I be suffering from the effects of aging, part 2. I think this might be one of those times.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:20 PM   #159
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've been using the Qardio Arm for about a year and a half. This week I exported all the data from my phone and made a graph to show my new doc. He was blown away by it.

"Nobody comes in here with data like this. Can I keep this and show my colleagues?"
Cool!
Old 11-17-2018, 09:20 PM   #160
Dryer sheet aficionado

Jim no no
LarryG is offline   Reply With Quote