Eggs are now bad for you...AGAIN!

Whatever:facepalm:.

Eggs are good, then they are bad, then they are good, now bad again.

I read that article earlier today, and IIRC the increase in risk was like 1-4%. If you have more than 3 eggs per week.

I'll take my chances:D

Wife (MD) says it's been a topic of discussion in all of her professional groups this past week and they all agree the study was poorly done. Her exact words "Too many confounders".

Gotta read the fine print ----

Diet data were collected using food frequency questionnaires or by taking a diet history. Each participant was asked a long list of what they’d eaten for the previous year or month. The data were collected during a single visit.The study had up to 31 years of follow up (median: 17.5 years), during which 5,400 cardiovascular events and 6,132 all-cause deaths were diagnosed.
A major limitation of the study is participants’ long-term eating patterns weren’t assessed.

https://news.northwestern.edu/stories/2019/03/eggs-cholesterol/

I’m a goner. I eat 3 or 4 eggs a day.

Nice knowing you.

If you stop eating eggs completely, perhaps you may live till 70 with the damage already done? :cool:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/study-...esterol-and-risk-of-heart-disease-11552662001
"But the study was observational, showing that people who eat lots of eggs have greater health risks but not a cause and effect. More research is needed, the authors said."

Which means I am going to continue to eat my 6-8 eggs a week.

im-60182

The way I comprehended the study is it was not the eggs themselves, it is that the typical person that eats 3 or more eggs per day also typically has other bad habits "such as low physical activity, smoking and an unhealthy diet" (according to this study). The eggs are a correlation, not a causation, of the shorter lifespan. IMHO.

However, what alarmed me is the apparent re-emergence of the cholesterol versus fat discussion. From the article: "Additionally, cholesterol-containing foods are usually rich in saturated fat and animal protein". AArgh!

I find animal protein and saturated fat to be a perfect addition to eggs over easy - :)

6863663845_606ce39a51_o.jpg

I don't do it often, but the best eggs are when you cook a pound of bacon (in a big cast iron pan), then fry the eggs in the fat, then scoop the fat over the top of the eggs to get a complete cook.

Nice runny yolk.

That's the way my mom did it when I was young, and grandma and grandpa did til they were 94 and 88.
:dance:

I find animal protein and saturated fat to be a perfect addition to eggs over easy - :)

6863663845_606ce39a51_o.jpg

Food Police here - that bagel looks suspiciously grainy... Just saying. :D In full disclosure, that looks a lot like our morning meal 2 or 3 x per week.

CardsFan said:
I don't do it often, but the best eggs are when you cook a pound of bacon (in a big cast iron pan), then fry the eggs in the fat, then scoop the fat over the top of the eggs to get a complete cook.

That's the way my mom did it when I was young, and grandma and grandpa did til they were 94 and 88.

I recommend cooking up pancakes on the bacon grease left on the griddle. Fantastic!

Gave up on yolks a long time ago. I'm an egg white guy with lots of hot sauce.

Great! Just when our hens are now laying. How am I gonna explain to them that their hard work is for naught after thanking them any saying “ good girl” after each accomplishment? Can I at least feed the eggs to my dogs?

Nice knowing you.

If you stop eating eggs completely, perhaps you may live till 70 with the damage already done? :cool:

Maybe. But I don’t plan on quitting eggs. So I may not make it till 64. I’ll talk it over with my doc at my next blood work discussion in a couple of months if I live that long.

Gave up on yolks a long time ago. I'm an egg white guy with lots of hot sauce.

Is hot sauce good for you?:D

You are missing out on the best part of a runny yolk. Sop it up with your bread, or ham, or bacon. Yummm.

In full disclosure, DW HATES a runny yolk, but she still likes an egg.

This is a great example of why you should never eat eggs by themselves. Always combine them with their natural antidote, bacon or sausage.

So we are having a vigorous debate on a statin thread, and then this comes up. So damn confounding. :facepalm:

Another terrible piece of nutritional epidemiology. Sadly, a lot of researchers are basically in the clickbait business.

Another terrible piece of nutritional epidemiology. Sadly, a lot of researchers are basically in the clickbait business.

Yes. This study seemed to be an exercise in which came first, the chicken or the egg. Does a person have a bad diet and then they eat three eggs a week, or do the eggs create the bad diet?

The article I read yesterday was about it being bad to add more eggs to an egg eater's diet, not that eating any number of eggs is unhealthy.

"People who eat an added three or four eggs a week or 300 milligrams of dietary cholesterol per day, have a higher risk of both heart disease and early death compared with those who eat fewer eggs...each additional half an egg consumed per day was associated with a 1.1% higher risk of cardiovascular disease and 1.9% higher risk of early death due to any cause...higher consumption than average of either cholesterol or eggs is related to an increase in cardiovascular disease incidents like stroke and early death"

But the headline Three or more eggs a week increase your risk of heart disease and early death, study says is misleading unless I missed something in the article.

Last edited:
This is really getting tiring.

JERF - Just Eat Real Food. Or as close to is as we can come these days.

Meanwhile....

:popcorn:

Great! Just when our hens are now laying. How am I gonna explain to them that their hard work is for naught after thanking them any saying “ good girl” after each accomplishment? Can I at least feed the eggs to my dogs?
Home raised hens are the answer! That's why the studies report bogus results. They don't control their eggs.

Back
Top Bottom