Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Keep up the good cheer, try not to laugh too hard at your own follies. You can still perfom mental gymnastics.

Get well.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ouch. Looks mighty painful. Hope your recovery is swift.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 07-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Whoa! That was quite a ride. Hope you recover in time for your next adventure!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:48 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
My anecdotal experience is that susceptibility to altitude sickness is not that correlated to someone's physical condition.

My most recent high altitude experience was hiking up to 12,500 feet in a national park in Colombia last year. I had no problems, but I had already spent several days between 7,000 & 9,000 feet in Colombia. In the past, I've biked over 12,000 feet in Colorado and Ecuador, with no ill effects other than tiring much more easily.
I've flown from Dallas (altitude ~600') to Denver and then climbed to over 14,000' the next day with no ill effects...
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:45 PM   #25

Ronin, How are you doing?
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #26

Hanging in. Thanks for asking. A little better each day maybe. Hard to say for sure. It'll be a week tomorrow, so that's something I guess.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Are the broken ribs the most painful part?

Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-16-2015, 10:01 PM   #28

Sounds bad! I hope you have speedy recovery!
I'm glad it wasn't worse.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:23 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Are the broken ribs the most painful part?
That's an interesting question. The shoulder pain is constant and I would say as painful as the ribs most of the time. But the ribs, while also constantly painful, get moments of much more intense shooting pain at times like when I try to breath deeply or cough or am getting up or down. I am only using low doses of Tylenol to blunt it. The intensity and quality of pain is definitely something that I listen to within my body. There must be a lot of pain receptors near the spine or maybe the fractures are more severe or numerous back there. It hurts a lot there. Trying to sleep is challenging. I don't have a lot of sensation of damage within my lung although I know it was severely bruised and torn at least a little. My breathing is too shallow still but it seems more related to the ribs. I have to focus on moving air. The fear of pneumonia helps.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:42 AM   #30

Had my second mtb crash a month ago, first was collarbone. This time I was carried away with the features of the new Trek Fuel EX and simply skidded out on downhill. Pretty sure I bruised or fractured a rib, also pulled a muscle in back. I forewent the doctor as assumed wasn't much could do for me anyway. Ibuprofen is on my daily diet now. Has caused me to rethink my approach. Glad you are healing and things no worse, they certainly can be.

As to the pneumothorax: DS had one in Tanzania where he works, he's a long distance runner and it just....happened. Tried to reinflate in TZ, medivaced to SA where he was treated by of all people the guy who was Mandela's personal physician. Great care, then the special overseas med insurance company his firm uses really took over. Insisted he be medivaced to US, business class with physician accompanying him (complete with needle to poke hole in chest if he had in flight PTX). OK. SA Dr. told him he'd be fine but repeat pneumothorax are NOT the exception. OK. Told to keep flying to minimum for a few months. Fast forward to Dr. in Chicago.

Dr in Chicago says from now on he should never be more than 30 minutes from a good hospital, should likely never fly. WTF? He calls us freaked out, international work is his thing. Finally gets in touch with SA Dr. who says..."Hey, you work in Africa so you take some risk. It's not a big deal. You're talking to lawsuit and risk averse American Dr who is covering her ass. Just be aware of the issue and have a plan." Bear in mind this is a great MD in SA who was entrusted to care for Mandela.

DS has returned to Africa, flies, and no problems so far almost a year later. He knows what to expect and generally has a plan but not always, work sometimes takes him out to the bush.

I posted all this to just point out there are wide ranges of risk aversion in the world. My guess is that if you mtn bike on hills steep enough for that crash, the risk of pneumothorax isn't a big deal. As it was, DS survived fine on one lung for a week before they got it back inflated. X Ray was impressive, deflated lung couldn't have been as big as his fist.

Assuming you cleared by Dr and feel Ok I hope you enjoy your trip to MP! Good luck!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:33 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Had my second mtb crash a month ago, first was collarbone. This time I was carried away with the features of the new Trek Fuel EX and simply skidded out on downhill. Pretty sure I bruised or fractured a rib, also pulled a muscle in back. I forewent the doctor as assumed wasn't much could do for me anyway. Ibuprofen is on my daily diet now. Has caused me to rethink my approach.
Sorry for your experience. That is a sweet machine. There's you and me and then there's this fellow.

Danny Macaskill-Isle of Skye
Old 07-17-2015, 10:10 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
That's an interesting question. The shoulder pain is constant and I would say as painful as the ribs most of the time. But the ribs, while also constantly painful, get moments of much more intense shooting pain at times like when I try to breath deeply or cough or am getting up or down. I am only using low doses of Tylenol to blunt it. The intensity and quality of pain is definitely something that I listen to within my body. There must be a lot of pain receptors near the spine or maybe the fractures are more severe or numerous back there. It hurts a lot there. Trying to sleep is challenging. I don't have a lot of sensation of damage within my lung although I know it was severely bruised and torn at least a little. My breathing is too shallow still but it seems more related to the ribs. I have to focus on moving air. The fear of pneumonia helps.
You have a good attitude. I am sorry for your pain, but you will recover well.

I hear what you say about broken ribs and getting up. I've had broken ribs a few times, and one of these times I was sleeping on a mattress on the floor. Oh boy, getting up was a real daunting project. Also lying down was not fun.

Ha
Old 07-17-2015, 11:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Sorry for your experience. That is a sweet machine. There's you and me and then there's this fellow.

Holy cow, thanks for the link that guy is amazing. I watched most of the "making of" videos besides "The Ridge". The strength, balance, attitude is something. Did you watch the video where he's practicing doing the fence flip?
When I broke my ribs my doctor recommended not over medicating so I would be aware and the pain would stop me from overdoing. I always feel if you hurt or are sick that you feel better mentally if you keep moving. It was a couple of years ago (2011) but you never forget the pain. I bought a power recliner so I could sleep. My dad claimed it as soon as I was done with it and still has. I had a friend that thought they would help me get out of a chair quickly (their idea was do it fast like ripping off a Band-Aid....NOT) but stopped when the gurgling screams started. Happy one week anniversary!
Old 07-17-2015, 12:06 PM   #34

Yeah, I saw the "making of" as well as numerous other videos that he has and outtakes from different ones. The beautifully photographed and edited product belies what it takes for him to do this stuff. He probably has had way more broken stuff inside than me.

I've been wrangling all week with the medical supplier used by my insurance to get a prescription hospital bed, getting the serious runaround, finally being told yesterday that it may take up to 60 days to process the claim. So I went on my own to a local place this morning and rented one for a month (the $175/mo is trivial at this point) and the fellow is setting it up as I type. I could have been off the stinking couch all this time if I had only known. I can't lay flat and can't imagine a mattress on the floor like Ha. Hardcore.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #35

Quote:
I can't lay flat and can't imagine a mattress on the floor like Ha. Hardcore.
When I read Ha's post I thought the same as you. I can't imagine what it took to get up off the floor. I believe in moving so you feel better but I don't think I could get off the floor. Maybe he had better drugs. Only kidding.

Ha, I can't imagine the pain you went through. For anyone that's never had a broken rib the pain just from breathing, laughing, sneezing is unbelievable.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #36

Quote:

Dude has to have some serious mountain goats in his ancestry. I had to watch that flip over the barbed wire fence a couple of times! Videos like this are not good...makes me think that if he can do THAT surely I could do THIS? This being something pretty pedestrian but for the fact I'm a brittle 64 yo man!
Old 07-17-2015, 12:59 PM   #37

If I could have only front flipped over the rut, I could've avoided the collision with the hillside.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #38

H2ODude & Ronin, Is that an expensive bike he's riding? I know that it's an "off road" bike but is it made for all the bouncing he's doing? Did you watch the making of "the gap" video. I think he says that the wheels okay but his head is hurting from the bouncing. He's got to be pretty strong carrying that bike up to the peak. I couldn't believe when he took off the safety rope. I don't mind heights but don't know how I'd be on the ridge.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
H2ODude & Ronin, Is that an expensive bike he's riding? I know that it's an "off road" bike but is it made for all the bouncing he's doing? Did you watch the making of "the gap" video. I think he says that the wheels okay but his head is hurting from the bouncing. He's got to be pretty strong carrying that bike up to the peak. I couldn't believe when he took off the safety rope. I don't mind heights but don't know how I'd be on the ridge.
I can't really tell but my guess is that is at least $10k and likely more. Just knowing the frame make (which I can't tell from the video stops I did) is only part of the story; components can run the price way up. I'm always impressed at how well a good mtn bike takes abuse given the bumps and impacts. It definitely has the rear as well as front suspensions, and the rear (soft tail) can add a little or a LOT to the price. Even mountain bikes these days with carbon can be pretty light, but he does seem to heft it around pretty well. As to that ridge and the images, I did a fair amount of puckering just watching the video. Not a heights fan. Like I said, dude's a mountain goat!
Old 07-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
... I did a fair amount of puckering just watching the video. Not a heights fan. Like I said, dude's a mountain goat!
Same here, and I'm thinking "Sure hope that's a parachute in his backpack". But probably not.