Join Early Retirement Today

Everything wants to kill us
Old 04-03-2020, 09:03 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Everything wants to kill us

I been thinking that everything wants to kill us or make life an unhealthy one for all of us.
Mice, ticks, mesquites, snakes and many other wildlife critters effect our lives each day. Then not to mention all the different cancers, viruses, diseases and accidents, that every step we make could be our last breath.

It seems no matter how fit and what we do to increase our personal health we are always the underdog trying to survive.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I’d say mankind has been a much bigger threat to animals than vice versa. How many are endangered or extinct so far thanks to humans? NatGeo says species extinctions are happening a thousand times faster now due to humans, thanks to destroying habitats, pollution, etc.

As for disease, medicine has successfully chipped away at diseases for generations. We’re safer today than long ago, but there will still be setbacks from time to time. Who knows, maybe genome research will make us even safer from many diseases.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
.....we are always the underdog trying to survive.
I imagine that every other cognizant creature, (pigs/sheep/cattle in a slaughterhouse, par exemple), has similar thoughts.

As I guy I knew used to say "Life is tough, and then you die".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:12 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I’d say mankind has been a much bigger threat to animals than vice versa. How many are endangered or extinct so far thanks to humans? NatGeo says species extinctions are happening a thousand times faster now due to humans, thanks to destroying habitats, pollution, etc.

As for disease, medicine has successfully chipped away at diseases for generations.
I take your point seriously, but remember, a lot of creatures were "here" long before humans (hundreds of millions of years) and went extinct on their own, and there will be a lot of them "here" long after humans are extinct.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:29 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I been thinking that everything wants to kill us or make life an unhealthy one for all of us.
Mice, ticks, mesquites, snakes and many other wildlife critters effect our lives each day. Then not to mention all the different cancers, viruses, diseases and accidents, that every step we make could be our last breath.

It seems no matter how fit and what we do to increase our personal health we are always the underdog trying to survive.
Survival of the fittest?

Long ago I saw a fascinating video, something like "Predator vs Prey evolution". The basis is that there is an intricate dance of evolution of species, both of the predator and prey, and that w/o the other each would perish.

On a more personal level, as a older parent, my child when younger wondered aloud about why people had to die. Perhaps the question was in part due to DC's older parents (e.g. me). Part of my answer was that it is necessary - that the death of something is essential to the life of something else. Part of the answer was also that without that, there would be little or no reason for birth.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:35 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:

I just celebrate that we are such supreme badass organisms that the vast majority of us not only survive but manage to thrive even while under constant assault by all those other nasty things. Yay, humans!
Old 04-03-2020, 09:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
that the death of something is essential to the life of something else.
There was a male pheasant hanging out around our house the past few days. We were getting pictures and looking forward to seeing him each morning. Then, two nights ago, something hit our house. I looked out the window and really couldn’t see what it was, but a big bird flew away (I think an owl or a hawk). Upon further inspection it was clear the the pheasant was no longer with us. By morning, the debris field was literally just a few feathers.

It was only a little comfort to realize the above truth, but nature is brutal.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:

Dogs do not want to kill us. They’re true friends. Not sure about cats
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Some good thoughts on the subject. I do agree when man no longer walks here on earth there will be many animals/creatures that will be still roaming the earth.

The day we are born is the day we start to die, from something.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #10

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 04-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Somehow I doubt it. Awaiting slaughter in a strange place, they probably have a looming sense of fear, but not cognizance of exactly what.

Only humans have the ability to visualize and fret over something that isn't imminent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I imagine that every other cognizant creature, (pigs/sheep/cattle in a slaughterhouse, par exemple), has similar thoughts.

As I guy I knew used to say "Life is tough, and then you die".
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:55 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Dogs do not want to kill us. They’re true friends. Not sure about cats
Cats don't want to kill us either; otherwise they would be without their servants.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:56 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I distinctly remember asking my Mother, when I was probably 5, why God had invented flies. "To teach mankind to be clean," was her answer. OK, what about mosquitoes? "They are an important food for many birds." Well, then, what about colds? She literally had no answer to that.

Even way back when, I was upset about coronaviruses!
Old 04-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Domesticated cats don't just want servants; they want companionship and affection. If they're used to getting those things, and it stops, the cat will show every sign of unhappiness. It is actually one way I trained my cats: If they kept doing something they were taught not to do, I made a disappointed "Ohhhh" sound at the cat, and then ignored it. That cat would come around, try to get my attention, try to jump on my lap...clearly upset. It seemed to reinforce the training. My cats were pretty good at learning the few rules I imposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheitlQueen View Post
Cats don't want to kill us either; otherwise they would be without their servants.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:04 AM   #15
Administrator

One of my cats mostly wants food. Her sister mostly wants attention and will complain loudly if she doesn't get it.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:20 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Somehow I doubt it. Awaiting slaughter in a strange place, they probably have a looming sense of fear, but not cognizance of exactly what.

Only humans have the ability to visualize and fret over something that isn't imminent.
I've seen pigs in a slaughterhouse.....they're terrified.....the level of conceptualization may range from that of Spring Break partiers to self isolationists though.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:34 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
True, and hopefully wiser.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Everything does want to kill us. I took a kicked back piece of wood from my table saw to the crotch area yesterday. Missed vital organs by an inch or 2.

Whatever is out to get us - if/when it gets to the point that we need medical attention - hopefully the doctors and medical facilities will be back up to full capacity.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:48 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I don't doubt it! But if a pig were lucky enough to escape the slaughterhouse to safety, I doubt he'd spend a spare second thinking about it afterward...unless they caught him and brought him back. That's the difference from people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I've seen pigs in a slaughterhouse.....they're terrified.....the level of conceptualization may range from that of Spring Break partiers to self isolationists though.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Everything does want to kill us. I took a kicked back piece of wood from my table saw to the crotch area yesterday. Missed vital organs by an inch or 2.

Whatever is out to get us - if/when it gets to the point that we need medical attention - hopefully the doctors and medical facilities will be back up to full capacity.
Just finishing lunch after using the chop saw for an hour on a home project. Always grateful to complete the job with 10 digits.

BTW - the project was to turn several 2x4's into toe kick plates and waist rails for a scaffold just purchased. A nice steady platform for home improvement taller than 6 foot. My days of working from a ladder are over for the most part - and I especially don't want to be hospitalized from a fall with the [Mod Edit] in the hospitals.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote