Excellent overview of ER Health Insurance Options

kevink

Full time employment: Posting here.
For those who don't consistently follow this excellent blog this new post may be a good place to start. Darrow and Chris have put a ton of work into updating the info and links here.

Of special interest to me was the hyperlink to the chart ranking states by cost of, access to and outcomes of health care. Eye-opening to see just how broad the range is.

https://www.caniretireyet.com/early-retirement-healthcare-options/

huge error on the initial budget of $1200 a month for an early retired couple - should be much higher than that sans credits

Very helpful - thanks for sharing. I'm going to bookmark this. I have one more year to eek out before Medicare kicks in.

huge error on the initial budget of $1200 a month for an early retired couple - should be much higher than that sans credits

It depends.... we pay about $532/month for an ACA cat policy with no subsidies... it depends on where you live.

I assume the link you are referring to (from the blog) is this wallet hub link that ranks by state.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-best-health-care/23457/

My state, CA, falls in the mid-low range (ranks 30). But I take that somewhat with a grain of salt - there is a HUGE difference in price between NorCal and SoCal. I assume the state rank averages across the state. This split in price in CA has been true since long before the ACA - I always looked at our work premiums by work locations.... and NorCal always pegged it at the top... Similar discrepancy when I worked in PA - employees who lived across the Delaware in NJ paid more per month than those of us who lived on the PA side of the river.

New York has no age rating so it helps if you are closing in on 65 yo. The SLCSP in my area is $587 a month unsubsidized. NY enacted the BHP provision of the ACA so it offers all plans below 200% FPL for $20 a month.

It depends.... we pay about $532/month for an ACA cat policy with no subsidies... it depends on where you live.

I'm budgeting more than just premiums in somewhat a belt and suspenders manner; probably closer to premiums plus MOOP for the 2 of us. I finally started tracking every dime of spending so I'll have a better feel in about 10 months lol :eek:

Back
Top Bottom