Join Early Retirement Today

Exercise & Happiness
Old 04-08-2019, 07:17 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Exercise & Happiness

Very timely since DW and I are on our way to play Pickleball:

https://www.businessinsider.com/exercise-makes-you-happier-than-money-says-yale-and-oxford-study-2019-4/

"The scientists found that, while those who exercised regularly tended to feel bad for around 35 days a year, non-active participants felt bad for 18 days more on average.
In addition, the researchers found that physically active people feel just as good as those who don't do sports, but who earn around $25,000 more a year.
Essentially, you'd have to earn quite a lot more for your earnings to give you the same happiness-boosting effect sport has."
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I find there are too many studies.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #3

I have ad blocker, so it would not let me read the article. From your quote above, I'm just as happy watching a great Netflix series as taking a long walk or swimming. What does "feel bad" or "feel good" mean?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #4

Exercise-makes-you-happy applies to me. Alas, there is a flip side to this. Between injuries and illness, I am not infrequently down for the count, and I'm miserable!
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I cannot say that exercise makes me happy, but sloth does make me unhappy, so if I exercise, I do increase my life satisfaction. I have tried different programs, starting when I was about 14. All weight programs were accompanied by running or swimming, based on handiness at the time. I started with heavy weight-lifting with my brother in our basement, then heavy weight-lifting in my university gym, next heavy weights at the gym in my early years post-university, then back to weights in the garage after I married, weights in the gym again after divorce, and now moderate weights at home in my apartment usually combined with indoor or outdoor walking frequently with dumbells or smallish kettlebells in my hands. About 5 years ago I had a hip replacement, so I no longer run, but Central Seattle is quite hilly, so I think outdoor walking usually gets me huffing.

I think I would do this no matter what as long as my health allowed, but I also think there are ancillary benefits. Although my face could pass for Methusalehs, my physique is much better preserved. It appears to me that no matter what anyone might say, this is a social help. It is said that women only care about money, but I don't think that is true.

Ha
Old 04-08-2019, 08:38 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

With fitness you not only feel less bad 18 fewer times a year...you also feel better on the other 300+ days.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:31 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I always feel happy when I get done exercising. not so much while exercising.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:58 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

^ me too. I don't exercise per se, but hike, work at ranch, ride bike etc.. I also feel good about getting this type of exercise.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:26 AM   #9

Absolutely!! I'm coming off the tail end of recovering from several spinal surgeries - in addition to the extra weight, being physically unable to "play" has just sucked life out of me. Fortunately, I'm back on the treadmill/walking more, and anxiously awaiting no more office days to enjoy my revised physical health and looking forward to hiking, paddling, downhill skiing, and other lower-impact/intensity activities. There is no doubt my personal happiness will increase with my activity levels!
Old 04-09-2019, 07:44 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

With all the GD surgeries lately, exercise is in abeyance. But, and I've been through this numerous times in my life, I know that, if one can get back into it, there are certain hurdles that can/must be overcome.

I know it, and know that they are (usually) temporary....always felt bad for those who started exercising for the first time later in life....since they don't know it gets better/easier, those initial hurdles must appear insurmountable.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:49 AM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

[QUOTE=Nemo2;22191793

I know it, and know that they are (usually) temporary....always felt bad for those who started exercising for the first time later in life....since they don't know it gets better/easier, those initial hurdles must appear insurmountable.[/QUOTE]

Last year after my long illness I had to start with rehab to jump start my exercising . Those first few sessions were brutal but I made it back to where I was and surpassed that in a few months .I can see how a lot of older people would just give up .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think I would do this no matter what as long as my health allowed, but I also think there are ancillary benefits. Although my face could pass for Methusaleh's, my physique is much better preserved. It appears to me that no matter what anyone might say, this is a social help.
I'm the same way, on the female side- my face is honestly 66 years old but I wouldn't trade bodies with most of the women in their 30s that I see.

And I do have very rare days when I just feel a bit gloomy for no reason and the mood lifts after my workout.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:11 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I remember browsing a bookstore (remember those?) in the mid-1970s, and seeing a book whose title I have forgotten but whose cover has stayed with me: A shapely young woman's body, topped by an old woman's face (complete with white bun, as old ladies were caricatured back then). The book was about keeping your body young through exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I Although my face could pass for Methusalehs, my physique is much better preserved.

Ha
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #14

I tend to be an optimistic person, I have the love of a good woman, our bills are paid, we're in generally good health, and we eat better than we should, so I'm usually happy anyway. However, I find that being outside, especially going on hike somewhere, makes me feel "happier". Breathing in fresh air, listening to the birds, marveling at the wonder of nature. It always puts a smile on my face.

To a lesser degree I'm even happy when I can go outside to mow the yard. I don't even need physical activity, just sitting in the sun in a lawn chair for a while can lift my spirits.

I've tried exercising indoors, it's just not the same. I get bored, and soon give up. There's no wonder or adventure so there's no reward for the effort.

Heck, just opening the blinds in the morning and seeing the sunshine of a new day lifts my spirits.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:22 AM   #15

When I do High Intensity Training, I feel like rejuvenated...almost like a bunch of bad stuff just left my body. Refreshed. Alive...I think alive is the word...during the workout...I just do as my drill instructor used to say "Embrace the Suck!"
Old 04-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #16

I'm in training for a knee replacement.

Lots of biking, yoga and PT exercises to strengthen my leg muscles and to lose weight. I'm finding the daily 60+ minutes is helping my sleep and putting me in a better mood. I'm sure DH would beg to differ.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:11 AM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

I am extremely happy and when I can check up my exercise sessions for the week .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love going to the gym. Years ago I went regularly but my j*b was such that it disrupted my schedule.

Now that I have no w*rk conflict I have a regular routine and I feel wonderful every time I’m leaving the gym.

Tags
exercise