Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, I can tell you our lil tiny hamsters (robo dwarf) run all night long...and they are very healthy

But then again, they sleep aaaaall day..

I, on the other hand - am far too sendentary and have at least committed to yoga once per week and daily short walks taking kid to school...trying to up the frequency if I can find another good regular spot in the schedule to do something.

Other than that trying to heed the latest news buzz about "getting up" every hour or so since I can get planted on my behind in front of the laptop for hours at a time if work is busy.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The primary takeaway from "Younger Next Year" is that, especially after 50 or so, the body is either growing or decaying, based on the signals it gets. Sofa surfing is sending which signal?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Dan Buettner: How to live to be 100+ | Video on TED.com
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I believe it. Most of the very old spry people I see are skinny.
This study actually said nothing about weight. I actually think it's pretty likely that exercise, in itself, does not lead to weight loss. It just makes you build up an appetite (see this, for example).

I do think exercising helps counteract aging, as does being thin. My unified theory is that both exercising a lot and being thin stresses your body. The things your body does as a result of that stress counteract aging. Things like having more HDL (good) cholesterol.

Concerning the need for rest days...

I used to believe in rest days, and exercised every other day for years. It may be true that that's best.

However, after reading Younger Next Year , I was convinced that six days/week is best, at least for people over 50.

Here's an excerpt, in which they discuss this issue. The "tide" is a metaphor for the force that is dragging you towards the "beach" of old age.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #25
Administrator

Thanks Al. I couldn't agree more, and Younger Next Year is a book that changed my attitude on exercise. Getting in an hour of exercise 6 days a week was a real problem when I was working, but this last year it has been easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Concerning the need for rest days...
Snip...

Perhaps rest in this context is alternating heavier and lighter days. For me, at least, the gas tank gets low if I try to do heavy stuff every day. So I try to walk or bike 4-5 days a week, and do a challenging weight workout a couple of times a week.

The other kind of rest, aka sleep, is important all the time...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've seen it said that athletes require rest days, or at least an alternation of types of workout, because strenuous exercise causes small tears in the muscles, and these require more than 24 hours to heal. I don't think this applies to me, since my exercise is not that violent, and I exercise 7 days with no apparent problem.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #28
Administrator

I mix it up almost every day and only do weights twice a week. Tomorrow (Friday) is deep water running

The only exception to repeat exercise for me is tennis which I take when I can get it. When I took it up 5 years ago after 15 years of not being able to play (because of back surgery, then shoulder problems and surgery), I could only manage 1 game a week, but over this past few years I can play twice in the same day, and during school breaks 3 or 4 times in a week (when I have more partners with time to play).