Exercise related cabin fever ..

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It has rained and then rained some more and I’ve been in the cellar on my recumbent bike putting in 40+ minutes. I need to increase that. I watch videos and listen to podcasts. (I highly recommend Bear Brook, the stories of some grizzly murders in New Hampshire. I’m through then first 3 episodes.) I know I’m getting some good out of the exercise because by the time I’m finished I am warm from it. It’s chilly down there..

Today rain has departed, the sun is shining and now we having a wicked wind storm. It started last night by the time the old pooch scratched at 2:30AM it was howling. I put on the front lights and we stepped out and was greeted by the gale. The thing about windstorms is you can only hear the wind. That’s why I saw rather than heard my neighbor’s son moving by their cars. I didn’t know it was him until we noted he came home at 2 - it was on the cameras. So lets just say I was startled...

Anyway I’ll be outside walking today come hell or high water as my Dad would say. As I sit here this morning I can hear it - it is really howling. It isn’t that cold out Alexia just told me “it is 35 degrees today expect a high of 40 degrees. Have a good day” I said “thank you“ Alexia said “your welcome”. Isn’t automation grand!
I’ve got a nasty case of cabin fever, I get cranky when I am cooped up. Add the fact that I am also doing my taxes and I get down right surly.

I need to breathe some fresh air... I have Florida to look forward to in a few weeks. How about you -how do you handle cabin fever?

Last edited:
It has rained and then rained some more and I’ve been in the cellar on my recumbent bike putting in 40+ minutes. I need to increase that. I watch videos and listen to podcasts. (I highly recommend Bear Brook, the stories of some grizzly murders in New Hampshire. I’m through then first 3 episodes.) I know I’m getting some good out of the exercise because by the time I’m finished I am warm from it. It’s chilly down there..

Today rain has departed, the sun is shining and now we having a wicked wind storm. It started last night by the time the old pooch scratched at 2:30AM it was howling. I put on the front lights and we stepped out and was greeted by the gale. The thing about windstorms is you can only hear the wind. That’s why I saw rather than heard my neighbor’s son moving by their cars. I didn’t know it was him until we noted he came home at 2 - it was on the cameras. So lets just say I was startled...

Anyway I’ll be outside walking today come hell or high water as my Dad would say. As I sit here this morning I can hear it - it is really howling. It isn’t that cold out Alexia just told me “it is 35 degrees today expect a high of 40 degrees. Have a good day” I said “thank you“ Alexia said “your welcome”. Isn’t automation grand!
I’ve got a nasty case of cabin fever, I get cranky when I am cooped up. Add the fact that I am also doing my taxes and I get down right surly.

I need to breathe some fresh air... I have Florida to look forward to in a few weeks. How about you how do you handle cabin fever?

Just returned from Florida and feel recharged!!

I do tax prep for AARP and never get surly!!

Have a good time in Florida!

VW

a
How about you how do you handle cabin fever?
I embrace the outdoors in all weather. Tomorrow I will be tent camping in a state park after hiking in to the camp site. Then westward for more of the same in a national park for a week or so.

I have a kit for backpacking/hiking/camping in the snow, rain, wind, sleet, and heat. So weather never deters me.

Nope, I don't get cabin fever and make it a point to get out and about once a day, maybe to the gym, driving range (heated) or just to the store.

I can relate. Spent a few days indoors because of a snowstorm. Normally we are out walking, hot springs, or at the gym. The visibility was too bad to get out for a while.

I get a little wonky, and anxious. I stayed in with DW yesterday and got Amazon prime on our TV. More stuff to entertain, I guess.

Careful in that wind Ray, I have family north of you and it was bad.

I live on the Canadian prairies. 35 or 40 degrees is a fantasy in winter.

Up here everyone just gets on with life. I still go out almost daily regardless of the weather. Technology has made winter bearable...heated seats and steering wheels, warm light clothing, remote start. It's no real hardship to walk 30 feet to my warmed up car to drive somewhere. Almost everyone has winter activities that they partake in. My GF bowls once a week and has a girls night out another night. I play in 3 bands and we rehearse weekly, some people curl or play hockey. My dad meets his coffee buddies almost every morning. Many people mall walk daily for exercise.

I may have cabin fever a few days a year. I’ll walk on the treadmill on those days. But I generally go outside for hiking, biking, kayaking, and exploring every day regardless of the weather. Bad weather makes for less crowded hiking trails and better landscape photo ops. And bad weather isn’t that bad if I’m dressed accordingly.

I'm on day 5 of another nasty cold. Five weeks ago I had bronchitis that lasted two weeks. With energy gone I am relegated to the recliner and banned from the gym until I get better. I long for the faces of others. However I wasn't so hard up that I watched the Oscars :)

Our weather has been horrible here too, and we're both snipping at one another. When we bought our downsized/forever home, they left us a treadmill. Neither of us really like treadmills, but this year we actually used it, out of sheer desperation as walking on ice probably isn't great for people in their 60's.

We found an exercise equipment place that buys your unwanted items, so they came & picked up our despised treadmill and we got a very nice stationary recumbent bike in it's place. I found a Pilates MVE chair on Facebook Marketplace, put a yoga mat on the floor and we've each been spending about 60 minutes a piece down there.

We have an old laptop down there and I can watch YouTube yoga videos, or bicycle videos or whatever. That, and an ancient portable tuned to NPR keep us entertained. It's chilly in our basement too, but that goes away in about 10 minutes on the bike.

I've never been so ready for Spring. The dog's butt is getting bigger by the day. I need some sun on my face.

I go to my camp/cabin/mancave to cure people fever.

I did it over 45 minutes up and down the hills and I can report no tree limb came close. I do feel better having breathed in a ton of Pennsylvania’s best frsh air

You can go to an indoor shopping mall or large store and just wander around. You will be out of the weather, and also out of the house.

We tried walking in our neighborhood today. We made it, but there is too much ice on the sidewalks and we will have to wait to do it again until we get some melting. We got a big does of rain, then ice, then snow, and now it is very cold, which all makes ice.

I need to breathe some fresh air... I have Florida to look forward to in a few weeks. How about you -how do you handle cabin fever?

I don't know, but I'm feeling it. I need to get out. Golf is a month or more away. So is yard work. I like the comments about getting out, even if just for a walk every day. That's what my did does and has maintained that even at 88 years old. I need to follow his lead.

Drive out by the cabin (45 mins away), notice the road in is covered with three feet of snow, note the drift from the snowplow is probably another four feet, drive home, turn on the fireplace, pour a beverage, and settle in for the night. Works every time.

We tried walking in our neighborhood today. We made it, but there is too much ice on the sidewalks and we will have to wait to do it again until we get some melting. We got a big does of rain, then ice, then snow, and now it is very cold, which all makes ice.

Microspikes for your shoes/boots from Kahtoola will make you sure-footed on ice and compacted snow. They are required when winter hiking in the mountains.

I live in the Northeast in a rural area in the woods on 10.5 acres and I exercise during the week. One thing I always do is as long as my driveway and the road is clear of snow/ice, I make myself go outside for a walk- like 2 miles.

If we have a lot of snow, I take my snow shoes out on our property for a nice peaceful walk- good exercise as well.

Good to get fresh air- however cold- and have the sun shine on my face.

I do talk to myself and Alexa a lot. LOL! But I am also on these forums and my Facebook page. Occasionally I get a phone call from someone. Have no friends or relatives nearby and no pets. I say hello to the deer and birds.

Very isolating. But then I get out to go to the food store or do a few errands.

Ya know- if it is above freezing and no wind- you can put a chair outside and sit out there in the sun as long as you are dressed right. It does a world of good.

I get out everyday in the winter doesn't matter the temp. Today was -3 and still walked 4 .4 miles. I also used snow rake on some of my roof because we are suppose get more snow. I also did some carving for an hour outside. If I don't get out I do and can get depressed. LOL I'm like a cat in a cage if in to long. LOL

We went to Hawaii in Early December; we're still here!

Attachments

• P2220073.jpg
    P2220073.jpg
    605.8 KB · Views: 14
Ya know- if it is above freezing and no wind- you can put a chair outside and sit out there in the sun as long as you are dressed right. It does a world of good.

I do that as well...I built a small deck over the front steps and when it's sunny and above freezing (it faces south) with no wind or the wind is blocked by the house it's comfortable enough to sit outside. It's not exercise but it's being outside and it does help.

I hate wet soggy golf but I played yesterday. First sunny day in a while. The mud didn't even bother me.

Back
Top Bottom