Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #41
Confused about dryer sheets

Make sure you are in your target HR zone.

The calculation is:
220 - your age X 75% for your High rate
220 - your age X 60% for your low rate.

Make you spend most your training time in this zone for maximum heart benefits and cardio training.
spring-chicken2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring-chicken2015 View Post

The calculation is:

Make you spend most your training time in this zone for maximum heart benefits and cardio training.

I don't get this at all. For my age, 58, that zone is between 98 and 120. That's a very light workout.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring-chicken2015 View Post

The calculation is:

That doesn't work for me. Before I walked over for my HIIT session this morning I put on my chest strap and wrist watch to measure my HR and it was 45 bpm. I like to get my HR up to 90% (144 for me) during the sprints, and that is a good 10 minutes into the exercise before I'm getting there.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #44

Quote:
I don't get this at all. For my age, 58, that zone is between 98 and 120. That's a very light workout.
This bit of business here is more for more classical aerobic style workouts.
We have discussed Dr Phil Maffatone here once or twice in the past. His method requires unusually low workout heart rates. I will admit to feeling better overall -during and after- say 30-45 mins on the stationary bike when staying between 60% and 65%
of my "max" of 163 bpm.

Interval style / high-intensity type workouts would necessitate that you push it towards the high end.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:48 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm usually working between 120 and 150. I have 171 set at my HRmax based on a few formulas I researched, and one that raised it a few points for being female. (55 years)

If I really want to work hard I try to get past 154. That would be my "max" Zone.

My resting HR is probably around 75 or maybe a wee bit lower.

Polar7 sets up target zones on a graph shown while you exercise. Zones 1 though 5. Zone 3 - 70 to 80% is moderate, Zone 4 - 80 to 90% is hard, and Zone 5 - 90% or higher is "max".
Old 04-26-2015, 09:21 AM   #46
gone traveling

My resting heart rate is ~ 58, and I usually try to keep workouts between 120 and 160, and thats for a 65yo. My aerobic exercises consist of inclined treadmill at 10-20 degrees and sprinting.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:08 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post

I had been keeping a food and fitness diary on paper for the last 3 or so months. Today I started logging everything on myfitnesspal.com I love that app! So far the database has everything I've eaten in the last two days included. I'll have to see if I can find an app to use with my Polar H7 and myfitnesspal.com
I have a Fitbit and Digifit and a Polar H7 and use MyFitnessPal. It all works great together.

Currently I have a Fitbit Charge HR (before, I had a One). The Charge HR is wrist based and continuously measure my HR throughout the day and night. It is fine for treadmill walking (I can't run - knees), but doesn't do as well for HIIT or exertion where you don't move a lot (like weight lifting). So, when doing those kinds of activites, I also wear my Polar H7.

I use Digifit software on my phone to record the data from the Polar H7. Digifit talks to Fitbit and Fitbit uses the calorie burn from the Polar H7 (per Digifit) on activites where I use the H7.

Fitbit then talks to MFP and gives it all my calorie burn data for the day (both that from Charge HR and that from Digifit). MFP talks to Fitbit and tells Fitbit how many calories I ate. That way, I could see in Fitbit what my net calorie deficit was for the day.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:13 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
My resting heart rate is ~ 58, and I usually try to keep workouts between 120 and 160, and thats for a 65yo. My aerobic exercises consist of inclined treadmill at 10-20 degrees and sprinting.
Wow, I'm envious. A resting heart rate of 58 at age 65 is very, very good. Mine (at age 60) is around 64, and I thought that was pretty good. Can you go into a little more detail on your workout routine? What types of things do you do, and how long does it take (daily or weekly)? Do you use a HIIT approach, or something different?
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:08 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Exercise helps, but I had to go to a strict monitoring of my diet to get sodium intake below 1500 mg to get to a safe BP. (My high BP is definitely linked to sodium intake, and I have years of daily logs to back that up. The R squared coefficient of determination is about 0.85)

From last week's logs, the average BP and pulse:
weekly morning 102/70 49
weekly evening 103/69 52

I do 5 one hour sessions of cardio training a week. Age 61
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:02 AM   #50
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Wow, I'm envious. A resting heart rate of 58 at age 65 is very, very good. Mine (at age 60) is around 64, and I thought that was pretty good. Can you go into a little more detail on your workout routine? What types of things do you do, and how long does it take (daily or weekly)? Do you use a HIIT approach, or something different?
Currently its softball season, so I have paired back my workouts, so aside from 2 days/week of softball, I workout 3x/week, no more than 1 hr per workout.

Always warm up with 5 minutes of inclined treadmill at 3.5 mph walk, 10-20 degree slope.

1 session of full body using free weights and machines, do 3 set circuit
1 session of shoulders/arms, 3 sets
1 session legs/sprints, 3 sets

Off season, I would also try to do 2 other sessions per week that included sprints, medicine ball slams, and hitting the heavy bag, 3 sets (I considered this to be my high intensity workout)

I find there is a cardio benefit to lifting weights, especially with minimal rest between sets. That said, I am by no means a long distance runner and rarely do any jogging, as my gas tank can run out pretty quickly being a diabetic.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:31 AM   #51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Exercise helps, but I had to go to a strict monitoring of my diet to get sodium intake below 1500 mg to get to a safe BP. (My high BP is definitely linked to sodium intake, and I have years of daily logs to back that up. The R squared coefficient of determination is about 0.85)

From last week's logs, the average BP and pulse:
weekly morning 102/70 49
weekly evening 103/69 52

I do 5 one hour sessions of cardio training a week. Age 61
That is really good to hear success stories like this. I hope to keep my BP in control with exercise and diet as long as I can.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:36 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Here is a zone calculator I used a year ago. It sets the Max heart rate by a slightly different age formula that only reduces HR Max by 0.5 a year after 30 years of age.

And you put in your resting heart rate to get your target zones.
Heart Rate Zones - Calculate Now

My resting pulse rate dropped recently. I think that's progress!
Old 04-29-2015, 10:11 AM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Here is a zone calculator I used a year ago. It sets the Max heart rate by a slightly different age formula that only reduces HR Max by 0.5 a year after 30 years of age.

And you put in your resting heart rate to get your target zones.
Heart Rate Zones - Calculate Now

My resting pulse rate dropped recently. I think that's progress!
I think that is indeed progress, congratulations.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I think that is indeed progress, congratulations.
It's back down to where it was somewhat consistently mid 2012 when I was doing a lot of rowing which is pretty high heart rate work for me.

Looking at older records it wasn't often that low - just when I was a lot younger (from memory). Glad to be back there!
Old 04-29-2015, 03:06 PM   #55
Administrator

Results from Cardiologist appointment

I passed with flying colors

The only thing worth a discussion was the 48 hour heart monitor which did show 3 times that there was a 2 second pause between beats. 14.5 hours with the HR below 50, lowest was 43, but no concern given the result from the nuclear stress test.

The echo showed all chambers, valves and heart walls normal.

At first he said the treadmill stress test was excellent then said it was better than excellent given my age as I went for just short of 14 minutes.

He said he'll see me in 6 months and if no change then annually. I asked what to do if it happens again and he said that unless I was really dizzy or was short of breath or had chest pains then just lie down until the rhythm normalizes. He said he would expect more chance of it happening again once I'm on the other side of 65, but the current risk of a repeat event is <1%

...and to keep taking an aspirin a day.

The holiday starts tomorrow!! (driving to California for the first stage of a 6 month driving trip)
Old 04-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I passed with flying colors

The only thing worth a discussion was the 48 hour heart monitor which did show 3 times that there was a 2 second pause between beats. 14.5 hours with the HR below 50, lowest was 43, but no concern given the result from the nuclear stress test.

The echo showed all chambers, valves and heart walls normal.

At first he said the treadmill stress test was excellent then said it was better than excellent given my age as I went for just short of 14 minutes.

He said he'll see me in 6 months and if no change then annually. I asked what to do if it happens again and he said that unless I was really dizzy or was short of breath or had chest pains then just lie down until the rhythm normalizes. He said he would expect more chance of it happening again once I'm on the other side of 65, but the current risk of a repeat event is <1%

...and to keep taking an aspirin a day.

The holiday starts tomorrow!! (driving to California for the first stage of a 6 month driving trip)
That's really great Alan! And I'm sure a huge relief for you.

Have a great trip!!!
Old 04-29-2015, 04:07 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Oh my goodness....the best news I've heard all day!

See...you got my cardio goin'!

Truly wonderful news at anytime, but right before your holiday...priceless!
Old 04-29-2015, 04:56 PM   #58

That is really great news Alan!

Hope you enjoy your holiday and keep us posted on your adventures.
Happy travels!
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #59

That's fantastic news, Alan! Thank you for sharing.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:04 AM   #60
gone traveling

I bet he doesn't get many that last 14 minutes on the treadmill, congrats on the good report Alan.