Join Early Retirement Today

Experiences With FEHB and No Part B
Old 01-31-2023, 02:13 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Experiences With FEHB and No Part B

Just wondered if anyone would share their experiences being on a FEHB plan and choosing to take Part A but not Part B. Specifically, which FEHB plan chosen, why, and how the yearly out of pocket costs without Part B played out over time compared to just paying the Part B premium (non-IRMAA or IRMAA).
zl55lz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2023, 11:01 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW and I are on Part A only with GEHA standard or basic- whatever they call it. We have friends who also skipped Part B but went with BCBS. We ran the numbers years ago and concluded part B wasn’t worthwhile for us. We would have been bumped up by IRMAA from day one and would get slammed when DW’s RMDs kick in. We concluded that if FEHB was fine for workers, why not for retirees. I switched to GEHA decades ago because it was a better deal than BCBS and has virtually the same network in the DC area where I live. BCBS may have broader networks elsewhere.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:26 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
DW and I are on Part A only with GEHA standard or basic- whatever they call it. We have friends who also skipped Part B but went with BCBS. We ran the numbers years ago and concluded part B wasn’t worthwhile for us. We would have been bumped up by IRMAA from day one and would get slammed when DW’s RMDs kick in. We concluded that if FEHB was fine for workers, why not for retirees. I switched to GEHA decades ago because it was a better deal than BCBS and has virtually the same network in the DC area where I live. BCBS may have broader networks elsewhere.
I had trouble deciding which way to go when I turned 65 a couple of years ago and ended up going with medicare A and B along with GEHA standard. I am thinking that I might drop Part B once I start RMDs since IRMAA would then be a consideration. Although I have not had to pay anything beyond premiums for health care (other than 50% prev dental) since going on Part B, I think it would have been close to a wash as to total cost. My estimate of what I would have had to pay without Part B was very close to the Part B cost, even with a few skin surgeries during that time.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 11:45 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Yes, Lakedog, it can be a tough call. The providers keep adding attractive incentives for us to take Part B because they save a lot if we do. In network reimbursement to out of network providers, partial reimbursement of Part B costs…. The choice for me would still be to skip B but that's not so clear for many. Multiple pensions coupled with big RMDs dictate the decision for DW and me.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:05 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
That is an interesting point you make about if FEHB without Part B was good enough while working, why any different in retirement. It is too bad that they add a 10% penalty for Part B for each year not enrolled, and I'm guessing if they did not do so, less than 5% of retirees would take Part B at 65, but would instead wait until their later years. It will be interesting to see if/when they mandate Part B for FEHB retirees like they did for postal retirees, if they will give a grandfather in period and help with IRMAA costs like they apparently did with the postal reform. Also wonder how they will handle those who took Part B but later dropped out and then are mandated to enroll again due to FEHB reform (if it happens, which I personally think is likely at some point, although maybe only for those attaining age 65).
Old 02-02-2023, 08:16 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
I had trouble deciding which way to go when I turned 65 a couple of years ago and ended up going with medicare A and B along with GEHA standard. I am thinking that I might drop Part B once I start RMDs since IRMAA would then be a consideration. Although I have not had to pay anything beyond premiums for health care (other than 50% prev dental) since going on Part B, I think it would have been close to a wash as to total cost. My estimate of what I would have had to pay without Part B was very close to the Part B cost, even with a few skin surgeries during that time.
Unfortunately GEHA didn't work for us due to a couple of my wife's Rx--any savings in premium would have been surpassed by Rx coinsurance/copay when compared to BCBS. We did switch to Aetna Direct (with Parts A&B), which as of this time is just a little more premium than GEHA Std, covers Rx extremely well, has more Skilled Nursing days, and also gives $1800 tax free to us every year as a medical fund. We paid not a cent out of pocket the entire year, not even for Rx. Went to pharmacy, no copay/coinsurance, left, no hassle, automatically taken out of medical fund.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:45 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl55lz View Post
Unfortunately GEHA didn't work for us due to a couple of my wife's Rx-.
I haven’t found a way to compare on my wife’s Rx’s. GEHA fights her on one but she eventually gets it every year. Then the manufacturer reimburses all but $5 which they tell her they don’t do for people with Medicare.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:22 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

One of the questions I've wondered about is the BCBS Standard vs. Basic vs. Focus option for annuitants with Parts A&B Medicare.

The majority of retirees apparently had BCBS while working and maybe keep it into retirement?

The comparison I see is (example of Self+One as of 2023):
Standard $690.84 premium
Basic $472.12
Focus $252.51

The only benefit I see for Standard with A+B is 10 more days per month of Skilled Nursing Facility days covered (after the Medicare fully covered 20 days), and the Specialty Rx looks better than Basic or Focus, and has out of network coverage as well. This costs over $218 per month more than Basic and over $438 per month more than Focus.

Basic looks like better Specialty Rx than Focus, otherwise they both have zero additional SNF days, and both have no out of network coverage (except for some situations). Basic is over $219 per month more than Focus. Focus does have a higher catastrophic oop limit but not sure how much that matters when on Parts A&B. Focus does also have higher costs in some instances after Medicare Part A is exhausted?

So, I can see some situations where one might be better over the others, but I wonder how many people ever really do a cost comparison?

Anyone see anything else I'm missing?
Old 02-03-2023, 01:28 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

If you don’t get out of network coverage with BCBS Basic I can’t see much of a reason to pop for Part B.
Old 02-03-2023, 02:36 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We both have both parts of Medicare and have BCBS Basic. We each receive $800.00 per year back from the Basic, since we have Medicare.

All of our healthcare providers and hospitals are covered. My DH had to go to Urgent Care in OH and NC and they were covered also.

We are allowed to use the CVS Caremark Pharmacy through the mail, which really helps for one of my DH's medications.

The SNF is the only difference that I am aware of, as long as you stay in network.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 04:35 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If you don’t get out of network coverage with BCBS Basic I can’t see much of a reason to pop for Part B.
Wouldn't it be just the opposite? In other words, since Basic and Focus don't have out of network coverage, then by having Part B one could then at least see any provider who accepts Medicare and have Part B pay the 80%, thereby reducing the "risk" of having an insurance which does not cover out of network providers?
Old 02-03-2023, 05:30 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl55lz View Post
Wouldn't it be just the opposite? In other words, since Basic and Focus don't have out of network coverage, then by having Part B one could then at least see any provider who accepts Medicare and have Part B pay the 80%, thereby reducing the "risk" of having an insurance which does not cover out of network providers?
interesting take. I haven’t done the math since I haven’t needed to go out of network but I would guess the out of network reimbursement rate is equal or close to the Part B 80% If so, still no advantage to Part B that would justify the cost (for me with big IRMAA).
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 06:49 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

IRMAA kept me from taking Part B. Even with an $800 rebate from BCBS Basic, that's a big extra premium to pay on top of FEHB.

Basic has no deductible, but co-pays can be large, and Rx drugs had better have a generic or you will get soaked. Fortunately I can change FEHB plans at Open Season, if and when my needs change. You never know what's going to happen.

I used to be part of a two-Fed couple, but I'm curious how high-IRMAA couples handle it, where only one was a Fed? Does the one who wasn't in Federal service, ever drop Medicare B and go on the retired person's FEHB as a plus-one? That would save a lot of dough.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 06:52 PM   #14

I decided to continue with BCBS Basic after retirement, and not get Medicare Part B. Extra monthly cost for Part B just didn't seem to be worth it. I had GEHA some years back, but they tried to force my wife to drive 2+ hours to a clinic that was in their coverage network to get treatment for her broken leg that wasn't healing right, and that wasn't going to happen. So we switched to BCBS Basic, and have been generally satisfied, although the premiums have been creeping up quite a bit lately. Anyway, so far so good with BCBS Basic and no Part B.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 08:23 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

IRMAA does seem to throw a wrench in the equation for some. One of the nice things about Basic, even without Part B, is that one knows up front what the copay/coinsurance will usually be, instead of 10%-40% as in some plans. 10%-40% of what amount?

That is why I repeatedly state that if not taking Part B, I would personally heavily consider the catastrophic oop max for a plan. If one sets that amount aside for that purpose each year, whether self only or self+one/family, then Part B importance diminishes in my opinion, although Part B does appear to cover things which FEHB plans might not in certain situations.

It will be interesting for enrollees to see over the next 5 years where the premiums are going for FEHB. Some plans already appear to be pricing themselves out of favor in my opinion, with $40-$50 per month increases each year. At that rate it won't be long before some of them are $1000 a month for self+one, with increased Part B premiums too?

It is too bad that some of the lower cost value plans and such do not appear to work well with Medicare. Plus, the trend seems to be toward offering more Medicare Advantage options for established plans but with no premium reduction (although they do offer reimbursement funds). I personally don't see any new "regular" cheaper plans being offered in the future which will work well with Medicare. My opinion only. I hope I am wrong. BCBS Focus does seem to be a good option with Parts A&B at this point which is very reasonably priced.

Sometimes I wonder about FEHB plans. They used to be considered the gold standard. However, here in my location a regular "public" Advantage plan is offered through BCBS which covers all our providers and hospitals, the Rx coverage is about as good or better than FEHB, the catastrophic max is about half of FEHB, and the copays/coinsurance are mostly zero or a very reasonable cost. All for zero premium per month. Would just pay Part B.

This is why having Aetna Direct plus Medicare is nice, at least for us. After the $1800 tax free fund each year, currently it is like paying a monthly premium of approx $202 (current premium approx $352 minus $150 average fund per month=approx $202).
Old 02-04-2023, 05:37 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

I used to be part of a two-Fed couple, but I'm curious how high-IRMAA couples handle it, where only one was a Fed? Does the one who wasn't in Federal service, ever drop Medicare B and go on the retired person's FEHB as a plus-one? That would save a lot of dough.
DW has been on my plan since we got married. We have a plus 1 GEHA enrollment know which costs somewhere around $400/month. Adding two high cost Part B plans doesn’t make sense for us.
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 12:11 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

As an interesting addition to this thread, it is known that FEHB enrollees who are trying to decide about whether to also enroll in Medicare Part B seem to have a concern about the 10% penalty per year added to the premium if they later do enroll.

Many wonder what will happen later if FEHB mandates Part B enrollment. When the Postal Reform Act was passed last year, some of the provisions, if I read it correctly, were that future Postal Employee retirees, starting 1/01/2025, would be required to also enroll in Parts A&B.

For those postal employees already retired with FEHB, the provision would not apply to them.

However, those postal retirees over 65 on FEHB who do want to enroll in Parts A&B, they will have a one-time opportunity to do so and the late enrollment penalty will be waived!!!

I did not see anything about what happens if someone had enrolled in Part B, then dropped it, then wants to enroll again as to whether any late penalty still applies.

This is not to say that if they mandate A&B enrollment in the future for
NON-POSTAL retirees on FEHB that it will have the same rules but hopefully they could offer something similar.

HOWEVER, I personally would NOT count on this! They might never mandate it in the future for non-postal retirees in which case the 10% penalty per year remains.
Old 02-04-2023, 01:33 PM   #18

I should have included that IRMAA does not apply to us. I might have looked at it differently if it did apply.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 06:33 PM   #19

I'm enrolled in GEHA-Standard, plus 1, with no Part B. My wife, the non-Federal annuitant, is enrolled in Part B. Ever since my wife started Part B, in 2016, we've been subject to IRMAA, with pensions and Roth conversions, despite delaying her SS retirement benefits until 2021 (I'm WEP impacted so my modest SS benefits and her spousal benefits from my SS retirement benefits never moved the needle.) We just got our SSA 1099s for 2022 and she paid over $5K in Part B premiums. She had some minor medical issues last year, but we're sure standalone coverage under GEHA standard would have been far cheaper than premiums paid under Part B. She'll always be in IRMAA tier 3, at minimum, going forward, whether filing jointly or singly.

We annually evaluate whether she should dis-enroll in Part B. I'm comfortable with not enrolling in Part B and don't see any current health insurance benefit to have Part B coverage. She enrolled in Part B when first turned eligible for Medicare; and if we were to ever get divorced (unlikely as we've been married for 47 years), she'd lose coverage under my FEHB plan (and I once thought that her FEHB coverage lapsed if I predeceased her -- but OPM clarified that in its literature on survivor FEHB coverage).

I think if you are not subject to IRMAA, Medicare Part B plus BCBS-Basic (or the new FEHB Medicare Advantage Plans standing alone) might be a good deal, if you can stay in BCBS network and are satisfied with the medical providers. My BIL has Part B and BCBS-Basic and the coverage takes care of all his medical needs with debilitating MS and his confinement in an assisted living facility -- we oversee his care and finances -- and he has no out-of-pocket expenses for expensive drug treatments and PT.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:54 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I presume you have made arrangements so that she can continue on your FEHB plan, if she happens to out live you?

Quote:
DW has been on my plan since we got married. We have a plus 1 GEHA enrollment know which costs somewhere around $400/month. Adding two high cost Part B plans doesn’t make sense for us.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote