Eye Floater Removal Surgery (Removal) Anyone had it?

I'm dealing with mine. They are migrating, but still a big problem for reading. The best strategy is to roll my eyes 4-5 times. That is, move them as if watching a bug race around the frames of my glasses. That gets me about a minute of clear vision.

For those of you with two functioning eyes, can you just close the eye with a problematic floater when reading??

I think this surgery and recovery is probably nothing to worry about if you are only dealing with floaters. Its been almost a month since my surgery and I still have a pretty significant gas bubble that is obscuring my vision, and possibly looking at another 2-4 weeks before it dissipates. My procedure also involved peeling off an epi-retinal membrane and repairing a torn retina, so my floaters were the least of my problems. Surgery just involved a local anesthetic, and although they prescribed a pain killer and anti-nuasia meds after surgery I had no pain and did not need them. The drops can get a little tedious, as they included a steroid to reduce swelling, an antibiotic, one to reduce eye pressure, and just plain over the counter lubricating eye drops. I am now down to just using the eye pressure one and the lubricant, and am finally cleared to resume exercise. Staying sedate for this long has been tough for me, as well as not driving due to loss of depth perception.

Latest update is my right Eye is healing nicely. I still have a "Blood Cell" floater that hangs about out of my line of vision, right on the edge, Vision is great compared with before, no more looking through tissue paper. I hope this floater (Black Dot) goes away. It I move my eye rapidly it does some into my peripheral vision, but quickly goes back to the edge.

Had another recheck this week and Dr says everything is looking good, however, my gas bubble is still fairly significant, and is expected to remain for another 3+ weeks. I am able to drive, but due to all the reflections from the bubble, vision out of my right eye is still blurry. No more drops at this point, other than remaining on over the counter lubricating drops to prevent dry eye.

That is a long time for the bubble to naturally disapate. Mine took about two weeks while healing from a retinal tear. It will eventually fully go away and all will be well!

That is a long time for the bubble to naturally disapate. Mine took about two weeks while healing from a retinal tear. It will eventually fully go away and all will be well!

Its due to the type of gas that was used, C3F8 takes two months. The other common gas, SF6 will dissipate much faster. For a vitrectomy just for floaters, an air bubble most likely will be used and will be gone the fastest.

In both my Vitrectomies the bubble went in a week. some Black floaters remained in my left eye for 2 weeks then dissipated. My right eye still has one black floater (Infection fighting White Blood Cells I am told) way over to the right periphery and sometimes very hard to spot. Both eyes are 100% Cleared up.

Update, all floaters gone, new glasses purchased, life is good.

Moral, Vitrectomy done by a good retina surgeon, assuming you have no other complications is great to remove floaters.

My Right eye had a black floater after the surgery that was annoying for 2 months, but it has gone away now.

My gas bubble finally disappeared when I woke up this morning. I think it took too long to disappear, 10 weeks after surgery. No floaters as far as I can tell, but will probably need to wait another month before updating my eyeglass Rx so that any further change in vision is relatively stable. I can see pretty well from this eye now, but I've heard that vision can continue to improve over a 12 month period.

Back
Top Bottom