Eye Floaters and Flashes

I had both eyes done, left worked great, right still gets the odd floater. No discomfort or issues with any, took about a week to get rid of the "bubble".

Shok - DW has questions. I hope that is OK. A big concern is floaters returning. How long has it been and is the "odd" floater small?

Thanks.

Shok - DW has questions. I hope that is OK. A big concern is floaters returning. How long has it been and is the "odd" floater small?

Thanks.

Hi certainly I would be happy to answer any.

Honestly, the small floater in my right eye never really went away completely. When the air bubble went away as normal there was a small remnant that never left. It is odd to describe, it really does not cause any bother. I can go for weeks without noticing it, like now it is not visible at all. When I do, I only really notice it when using the computer as my right eye is dominant for reading. I have lens implants from cataract surgery and my right eye focus' a little closer than my left. I had my lenses calibrated for reading not distance. I wear glasses for distance, driving etc. But am free from the reading glasses round the neck all the time syndrome, I do not like Bi-Focals and cannot seem to get used to them.

Tell her that it is 100 times better than before as I had very large floaters in each eye, it was like looking through snap wrap all the time, and if I blinked profusely they would disperse for about 5 seconds before floating back into my line of vision. I do not regret it all. I can deal with the occasional "mosquito" in my peripheral vision as that is where it usually manifests.

DFW - DW has more questions as she may have this procedure. 10 weeks to dissipate seems like a long time. Did DR's say this is a standard time frame? Was this procedure done long ago and maybe technology has improved?

DW hears of people having the procedure then having large floaters return. Have you experienced this? How long has it been?

Thanks.

10 weeks is a bit longer than most recoveries from a vitrectomy/retinal membrane peel, but it depends on what gas the Dr inserts in your eye. I believe he originally said the bubble should be gone in 6-8 weeks, but in my case it took longer. Using a conservative gas is probably the best to unsure a good long term outcome, so while bothersome, it was probably the right way to go. I had the surgery back in December of 2017 and have not had any floaters return. While I was recovering, I had a few tiny floaters that disappeared quickly. Prior to the surgery I had a few very large floaters and my retinal was so out of shape I could not get better than 20/40 vision in that eye. The vision in that eye has slowly improved as the inflammation in the retina can take quite a while to go away, so its not unusual to find the vision improving over a 12-18 month timeframe. I am very glad I elected to have the surgery.

When this happened to me, the doc had me come back in 30 days (60?) to check again. Important, he said.

It happened in late 2017. And I have a major "cobweb" floater. I thought I was screwed in terms of reading, but I've gotten used to it. I have only one functional eye, so perhaps it's worse for me. Mine are like this, but not quite so dark:

images.jpeg

Some say they fade over time, but my doc says you just get used to them, and I agree.

I'd hoped that it would move, but it has not.

If I look like this, as if watching a fast bug run around the frame of my glasses:

circular-arrow-pattern-hi.png

the floater fades away for about fifteen seconds. I hypothesize that the centrifugal force pushes it away from the retina for a while.

I sure wish they could just go in there and move it to one side. With only one eye, I don't think I'd ever risk any surgery.

Floaters are normal

I have floaters, too. My doctor says that when we are young, our eyes are filled with a thick jell. As we age, the jell liquifies. Floaters are remnants of the thick jell. Over time they dissolve or even settle to the bottom of your eyeball.

I have not gotten used to my floaters that appeared with my PVD in January. Everyday I say to myself "I hate my vision". I'm constantly fighting to see through the floaters. I have had floaters all my life, I was aware of them, but they weren't a problem. Now they are. My entire visual field is obstructed. I hate it.

I have not gotten used to my floaters that appeared with my PVD in January. Everyday I say to myself "I hate my vision". I'm constantly fighting to see through the floaters. I have had floaters all my life, I was aware of them, but they weren't a problem. Now they are. My entire visual field is obstructed. I hate it.

Yeah, it's no fun, is it? Hang in there, and they may seem a little less bothersome in the future.

I'm blind in one eye, so I'm curious about the experience of floaters for those of you with two eyes.

Can you just close the eye that has a bad floater, especially if you had PVD in only one eye.

I have floaters in both eyes and PVD in both eyes. That being said, my right eye has more floaters than my left. Closing one eye means I see even worse than with both eyes, so for me, it doesn't help.

OP here. Been about 6 weeks since my original post. From the PVD, the flashes of light are gone. Still see the floaters. Not as apparent as when first got them, but still noticeable especially looking at bright background.

Are they a problem for you in situations other than reading?

Except for reading, mine aren't much of a problem. Using a Kindle and larger type helps with reading. It's worst when I have to read a paper book. Good lighting helps.

Well, I still see them floating around in my eyes when I look at a distance. If I am not working on a computer or reading, then I suppose it's not as much of an issue, but still bothersome. But, I am on the computer and reading all the time, so it impacts a large part of my day. I don't read paper books, only my Kindle Paperwhite, so the lighting is good with that. It's like I'm always looking through a watery veil. Blurry.

Back
Top Bottom