Join Early Retirement Today

Eye Floaters and Flashes
Old 05-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Eye Floaters and Flashes

Got a couple of good sized eye floaters (technical term is Posterior Vitreous Detachment). Then flashing light in my peripheral vision.

Scared the heck out of myself reading about detached retinas (reads like a horror story). Just came back from getting eyes looked at by ophthalmologist.

Yep, she said I have a couple of large floaters, but retina is fine . Said smart of me to get it checked just in case.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Big floaters and eye flashes are often experienced by diabetics.
There's really not much you can do about it.
The flashes often get better with time. The floaters you get to where you don't pay much attention to them.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Glad you are okay.

DW had her first floater this week. Yesterday she started describing a retinal detachment and I took her to a local optometrist. He said it's just floaters said it's the right thing to do.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:28 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm never one to just run to a doctor for everything, but seeing flashes or a sudden increase in floaters is the exception, don't delay! When the old vitreous hardens up and starts to pull on the retina back there, the mechanical pull on the retina is what causes the perceived flashes of light. As the vitreous pulls loose, bits of parts of hardened vitreous come loose, therefore floaters. If the pulling vitreous is very unkind, it may pull so hard on a part of the retina, that it tears the retina. Very bad! And you may not know immediately that the retina has been damaged. So, as Ophthalmologists say, "flashes, or any increase in in floaters, give us a call, we'll get you in quick to check it out". I did so, and I had a torn retina, a horseshoe-shaped tear from the top down, the worst direction.

I respectfully suggest that all folks over ~age 50 start using an Ophthalmologist as their regular eye doctor. Can always continue going to an Optometrist too, if you have one you really like for the refraction and lens or contacts stuff. An Ophthalmologist who is also an eye surgeon is a plus, as you see one person for the important stuff, and some issues can be handled in the office area, like Argon laser dotting to begin the healing process to stabilize a torn retina. I speak from experience!

The PVD effect of vitreous hardening up and pulling away does not have to stop, as thinner more fluid vitreous flows into the void, and it can harden up. So TMK, there is no "All Clear" age that someone can say that you don't have to worry about PVDs anymore. And the more near-sighted you are, the more prone you are to it. Then add on cataract removal, which tends to release some pressure in the eye shape, boosting your chances of later PVDs, oh joy.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I had floaters and flashes and ended up with a retinal tear which was fixed by laser surgery.
However the doctor had wanted me to come in immediately for fear of a retinal detachment.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

From this experience, I pretty much fired my optometrist and will use the ophthalmologist I saw today in the future for my vision needs.

My optometrist, I knew him when I was a teen and in the past, he was really informative and helpful. In recent years, he sold his practice where he was in charge and works as a contractor for a chain. When I saw him the other day, he looked overworked and seems to have to one more year syndrome not ready to hang things up.

When I mentioned first thing about my floaters and flashing light symptoms he pretty much ignored it. Later on during the exam (after testing my vision) I asked him again if I should be worried about the floaters and flashes and he pretty much said something like "So what? I have a lot of floaters".

The irony of his statement was years ago, when I saw him, he was one to told me, "If you ever see a lot of floaters and flashing lights, don't hesitate, it is an emergency".

My optometrist was helpful at the right time, but think my eyecare needs have outgrown him.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:17 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had a detached retina about 6 years ago that was repaired with a laser. The surgeon also injected a gas bubble into the eyeball in order to keep pressure on the retina until it started to heal. I had to hold my head in a very specific position for the first 72 hours in order to keep the gas bubble positioned flatly against the retina.

I had some floaters, but never had any flashes. I just woke up with a grey half-moon obstructing my sight, and I immediately knew my retina had detached. The surgeon saw me that same day and did the repair in the office. I've had no issues since then, and see my regular ophthalmologist annually.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #8
gone traveling

If you get a bunch of new floaters or flashes of light, it's time get it checked. Your ophthalmologist may suggest a few rechecks over a 6 month period to make sure the situation remains stable. Flashes of light sometimes resolves quickly, but not in all cases. Large floaters can be problematic for some people for a very long time and relief may only be possible via a vitrectomy.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I've had floaters for years. And had flashing lights when I was in my late 40's but they went away. Dr said just part of the aging process. Retina was fine.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:18 AM   #10

I got the flashes in one eye a year ago. I read up on it, and half the answers said run to the optometrist asap, and the other half said don't worry about it unless it doesn't go away in a week or so. So I did not go to the optometrist then. But I did schedule a comprehensive eye exam this year, and sure enough, he found that I had PVD (posterior vitreous detachment) in one eye, which is common, and not harmful, which caused the flashes. He also said I had wrinkling of the retina near the macula in both eyes. Again, nothing to worry about, not the dreaded 'macular degeneration', just aging. I read up on macular degeneration (which I don't have but am worrying about anyway) and they say that heavy alcohol consumption may be associated with accelerating it, and possibly causing it. I guess that's good and bad news. BAd news is I have to reduce my drinking to potentially stave off mac degen, but good news is I have another incentive to reduce my drinking. Currently 4 beers a day on average. Over 3 drinks a day equals 'heavy drinking' apparently.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I've had to wear glasses since I was ~25. By the time I was in my mid 40's, I had to add bifocals and I couldn't pass the drivers license vision test without them. In my late 50's I started noticing floaters that seem to come and go for several years. By my early 60's I started seeing flashes of light at night "occasionally". By the time I made it to 65, I couldn't see/notice the floaters anymore, I hadn't seen flashes of light in a year or more and my vision seemed to be much sharper. When I renewed my driver license at 65, I was able to "easily" pass the vision test without glasses. Now in my later 60's the only problem I have with my vision is "reading very small print".
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I got the flashes in one eye a year ago. I read up on it, and half the answers said run to the optometrist asap, and the other half said don't worry about it unless it doesn't go away in a week or so. So I did not go to the optometrist then. But I did schedule a comprehensive eye exam this year, and sure enough, he found that I had PVD (posterior vitreous detachment) in one eye, which is common, and not harmful, which caused the flashes. He also said I had wrinkling of the retina near the macula in both eyes. Again, nothing to worry about, not the dreaded 'macular degeneration', just aging. I read up on macular degeneration (which I don't have but am worrying about anyway) and they say that heavy alcohol consumption may be associated with accelerating it, and possibly causing it. I guess that's good and bad news. BAd news is I have to reduce my drinking to potentially stave off mac degen, but good news is I have another incentive to reduce my drinking. Currently 4 beers a day on average. Over 3 drinks a day equals 'heavy drinking' apparently.
I had an epi-retinal membrane (wrinkle) and it progressed over time diminishing my vision. Had to get a vitrectomy in order to peel away the membrane, and when in there the Dr also discovered a small tare to the retina which he lasered. Then filled my eye with C2F6 gas and it took over two months to recover due to the gas bubble. Depending on your situation, there are other gas bubbles that dissipate much quicker.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I've had to wear glasses since I was ~25. By the time I was in my mid 40's, I had to add bifocals and I couldn't pass the drivers license vision test without them. In my late 50's I started noticing floaters that seem to come and go for several years. By my early 60's I started seeing flashes of light at night "occasionally". By the time I made it to 65, I couldn't see/notice the floaters anymore, I hadn't seen flashes of light in a year or more and my vision seemed to be much sharper. When I renewed my driver license at 65, I was able to "easily" pass the vision test without glasses. Now in my later 60's the only problem I have with my vision is "reading very small print".
My far vision also got better into my mid to late 50's and I was also able to pass my driver's eye test for the first time without needing contacts, although just barely.
The doctor says this happens to some middle age folks, as their near vision worsens.
So one good thing about aging.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #14

Wifey had sudden dark floaters last week and cloudiness in one eye. No flashes. I suspected retinal tear and got it checked. Shortly after she was getting the tear secured with a laser which took 10 mins. No detachment luckily. She still has a shadow at the tear which may be permanent. Lucky nothing worse.
captain3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #15

They are really scary. I got hit in the face with a softball about 7 months ago (stop laughing) and got floaters, big ones.
It's amazing that they never go away, but the brain adjusts so your field of vision does not register them. In other words, they are there, you just won't see them.
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:01 PM   #16

I had PVD earlier this year. First a storm of new floaters and then flashes of light. This happened back in January. I still see flashes when I go into a dark room and the floaters are a huge problem for me. They are not going away. My brain is not ignoring them and my vision is much worse now. I feel like I am always looking through a veil. I hate it.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:19 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I was diagnosed with PVD (Posterior Vitreous Detachment) over ten years ago. No flashes, just saw a dark ring in the peripheral vision of my right eye - thought it was something running across the floor when it first happened. I've been told by multiple Opthamologist that if I ever see flashes I should get myself to the doctor immediately as it may be a torn (or tearing) retina and will need immediate attention. I get it checked every year and it has remained stable. I have also been told that it may never change. The ring has faded or my brain has mostly erased it over the years, I'm not sure which. Otherwise my eyes are very healthy and the PVD causes no problems for me.

The upside to the diagnosis is that under Medicare and my private medical insurance before that my annual exam (by an opthamologist) is covered whereas before the diagnosis it was not. However, if I need correction via contacts (I don't at this time) it can be difficult to find an Opthamologist who will prescribe contacts. Glasses most will do.
NoMoreJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
I had PVD earlier this year. First a storm of new floaters and then flashes of light. This happened back in January. I still see flashes when I go into a dark room and the floaters are a huge problem for me. They are not going away. My brain is not ignoring them and my vision is much worse now. I feel like I am always looking through a veil. I hate it.
I hope you are under an Ophthalmologists care! The fact that you are still seeing flashes means that the vitreous is still pulling on your retina. The mechanical effect of pulling on the cells of the retina is interpreted by the cells as light, which is the signal they send on to the optic nerve

FWIW, you are not alone with a large amount of floaters. I have roughly cataloged mine into various classes, the names are my own: The Windshield Wipers - these are dark wipers that appear hinged from the top. The Ink Drops - these are small round opaque droplets that float. The Soap Bubbles - these are like the ink drops, but I see only their shell, I see light through the middle of them. The Fly Went By - this one (I'm not sure that I have only one), looks like a dark fly buzzed right past my face. It makes it difficult to know when a REAL fly went by, unless I look quick at where I think it went and see an actual fly. The Filmy Ghosts - these are veiled clearish distortions that sweep by. These most often bother me when I am using the computer, or reading, things up close. I suspect that they are always there, but in looking at things at beyond reading distance, I think the wider view tends to swamp them out. They will move out of the way when reading, but it takes an instant for them to get out of sight line. I think the Filmy Ghosts are located in the vitreous away from the other floaters.

Some adaptations I have created to minimize their effects, when possible - I use cruise control whenever I can driving. The looking through the windshield, then mirror, then speedometer, etc. round and round, sets everything moving around. The less I need to look at the speedo, the less total floater movement.
I make an effort not to follow the Ink Drops or the Soap Bubbles. It's so easy to focus on them, which by pupil movement keeps them agitated and staying in my direct line of vision. If I just keep looking where I need to instead, they will slowly float downwards with gravity out of view. But all it takes is just an instant to forget and follow them, and they pop back up, to start again. When DW and I are driving on a trip, there have been some times with bright blue sky, that the Ink Drops are really bugging me, and I ask her to drive instead.

Whenever you move your pupils, the path light takes through your pupils through the vitreous to the retina changes. So you are looking through different areas of the vitreous, so can see different floaters, or see them move.

It's taken some years, but I can "forget" many of them, but they are always there, certainly if I look for them. And occasionally, the "forgetting" concept suddenly drops out, and OMG, what happened! Eeek! And then I tell myself, no, nothing probably changed, you just lost the "don't pay attention to this" catalog of items. And in no time, I'm okay again. They don't really "go away", I just get accustomed to them and their antics. But it's never like not having them.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:10 AM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
They are really scary. I got hit in the face with a softball about 7 months ago (stop laughing) and got floaters, big ones.
We started practicing for our softball season back in February. While very hard to believe, I swung at a high inside pitch and fouled the ball off my right eye. That eye had been operated on a year earlier for a membrane peel, removal of large floaters and repair of a small retinal tear, so I was really concerned. Had a severe black eye and swelling for about two weeks, but thank goodness nothing else. I can tell you I was not laughing at the time.

For those that rub their eyes, it can produce floaters and should be avoided.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:48 AM   #20

More info from those who have had a vitrectomy for removal of floaters, please? BIL is going to have one. DW may have it.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote