Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
old rx (not quite 2 years old)

sph cyl axis add
-1 +2.5 040 +2.25
plano +1 140 +2.25

Rx today for
-.25 -.75 085 +1.5
+.75 -1 017 + 1.5

Why do these seem so far apart? It was not a good experience even though I know 2 people that use and like the new guy.

Frustrating. Bonus question: how much diff does PD make? The OTC reading glasses say PD 62 and they put me at 57.5 for distance and 54. 5 near.

I would just get a cheap pair of glasses from Zenni or one of the similar places using the new prescription and then compare how you see with them to how you see with your existing pair at the old prescription. Hard for anyone else to figure that out for you.

My Rx was stable for about 35 years. Sometime early 40ish it started to move, and at 60 it has not settled down yet.

As we become more "mature" some people's vision will actually improve some. The eye is a muscle and can and will change. Do you feel like your vision has changed?

I would expect your PD to be the same. My eye doc is out of network, but I like her. Good luck!

As we become more "mature" some people's vision will actually improve some. The eye is a muscle and can and will change. Do you feel like your vision has changed?

I would expect your PD to be the same. My eye doc is out of network, but I like her. Good luck!

+1
That PD change is strange way to look at it. OP is counting OTC glasses, like the dollar store ones ?
Maybe that PD is wrong, but he compensated by getting a wrong strength ?

Last edited:
+1
That PD change is strange way to look at it. OP is counting OTC glasses, like the dollar store ones ?
Maybe that PD is wrong, but he compensated by getting a wrong strength ?

No, he said the wider PD was from "OTC reading glasses" aka drugstore standard. The new optometrist probably measured it directly.

Yes, the old Rx didn't note the PD. However, I have gotten more than one pair of $$ glasses that I could not see out of (even after taking them back and another exam). So I feel a bit odd about the whole thing. The astigmatism change was most shocking cause it should not be moving around should it?

I don't mean to sound discouraging, but as another "problem user" (extremely myopic all my life) I would encourage you to go to another couple of optometrists for an exam until you find one you have confidence in. By all means ask your acquaintances for recommendations, or use Yelp or some other review site. Let's face it, some are good while others are not so good. It can be a real challenge, so you have to put some real effort into finding the right one.

Yeah, I think you are right unfortuantely. I just have so much else going on right now I wanted SOMETHING to just work. And this still is not 20/20 which he says is not possible.

Last edited:
I don't understand the prescription numbers. So I don't know how bad your astigmatism is .
I'm sure this does not apply to you, but some folks like a little story.

For me, I have a slight astigmatism, long ago my eye doc told me I had one and my glasses at the time were not correcting for it.
So I got it added to my glasses.
He said it would take getting used to it.
I nearly fell down the stairs more than once.

I went back after 3 weeks and told him, make a new pair without correcting for the astigmatism. I do that all the time now and some eye docs are reluctant, but I explain how I take off my glasses in the house, and walk around for 8 hrs, without them so I can never get used to the astigmatism correction in glasses.

Everybody just looks like a Picasso :LOL::LOL::LOL: (just kidding).

old rx (not quite 2 years old)

sph cyl axis add
-1 +2.5 040 +2.25
plano +1 140 +2.25

Rx today for
-.25 -.75 085 +1.5
+.75 -1 017 + 1.5

Why do these seem so far apart? It was not a good experience even though I know 2 people that use and like the new guy.

The two prescriptions are in different notation systems. The top one you listed is in Positive Cylinder notation. The bottom prescription is in Negative Cylinder notation. Positive is used by Ophthalmologists, negative by Optometrists.

Most/all lens labs now use negative cylinder notation to actually make lenses. When they get a positive cylinder prescription, and they will get many, they just convert it to negative cylinder.

Easiest thing to do is do a search for a positive to negative cylinder notation converter, they will run both directions. Then take one of your prescriptions and convert it to the opposite notation, and then you can compare it to the other prescription, as they will then be in same notation.

Last edited:
It is probably because I don't really understand PD but doesn't this stand for Pupillary Distance? Since some people's eyes are NOT the same distance from the midpoint of the bridge of their nose shouldn't the individual distance from each eye be used to determine the focal location on the glasses?

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom