Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2018, 09:05 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
FL "requires" 20/50, and allows daytime driving with 20/60.
But apparently there is no requirement that you be able to see over the steering wheel.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2018, 09:27 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
All the states I've lived in have only required 20/40 for a license.
That's good to know. I see just fine when I drive. I get a little nervous when I drive at night in the rain, however, because I struggle to pick up all the lane markings. The color of the street lights, especially on the parkways, is nearly the same as the lane markings, making it extra tough to see them all.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
FL "requires" 20/50, and allows daytime driving with 20/60.
Having been to FL many times, I can believe it. (Although in Texas it may be worse - I read somewhere it's 20/70 here in Texas)
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Having been to FL many times, I can believe it. (Although in Texas it may be worse - I read somewhere it's 20/70 here in Texas)
Yeah but, they have to drive slow. I'm not sure how the police know those people are limited to 45 mph?
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:37 PM   #25
gone traveling

DW's distance vision has improved as she ages, not the closeup. Mine never improved at all, only got worse due to cataracts and an epi-retinal membrane in one eye until getting both those problems fixed.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Yeah but, they have to drive slow. I'm not sure how the police know those people are limited to 45 mph?
Well that should keep them off I-75. Not sure why they even put up speed limit signs on that highway. They should call it the autobahn of the south.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #27
gone traveling

My reading vision improved with age but not my distance vision. Net, I have about the same distance correction as 50 years ago, -4.5, but a much lower reading vision correction; i.e., I have bifocals with stronger distance correction than reading correction. I frequently raise my glasses to my forehead to read some things. Basically my farsightedness change that most people start with in their 40's was counteracted by the pre-existing nearsightedness.

My ability to read small things up close w/o glasses is the main reason I never had laser correction surgery - didn't want to risk losing that. Also, I've come to appreciation the wind & flying particles protection glasses provide. Yea, they get dirty.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote